So So shaves from Gillette fat boy

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Veg, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :eatdrink047:

Dansco, Frijolero and wchnu like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

How about the many folks that get BBS shaves with their Fatboys? Wouldn't that eliminate the possibility of a design fault with it? I understand that it may not perform the best for you (whatever floats your boat), but it certainly may for others.

I have a few Gillette adjustables because they bring back good memories of times when I saw my dad using razors like these. I don't chase BBS, and they perform about the same as all my other DE razors.

Good discussion. My 2 cents.

Dansco, Frijolero, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I respect the FB for its pivotal place in wetshaving history but never found it to be essentially any different nor better a shaver than any other TTO. Just heavier.

Dansco, Frijolero, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Now we're getting down to brass Techs.

rimshot

Juno, Robert1955, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  5. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I bought a "195" years ago partly out of curiosity and because it just a plain neat razor. I love the way it looks and feels in my hand but the truth is just it gives me good shaves. My issue it's hard to get under the old schnoz. I wish it weren't so cause I really like the FB. Having said that I still pull the oldster out a couple of times a year (just because). I will keep it in my collection along with the Slim and Black Beauty for nostalgia.

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I've read of folks who have swapped doors from the more compact Schick Krona to their Slim or Fatboy to help with the schnoz issue. I've also read of people who just use the Krona

brit, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That was me, good sir, many years ago with a Superadjustable.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

A lot of people throw out terms without actually knowing they are not achieving them or what they really mean for starters. Anyone can be a confirmation bias muppet which hype hounds tend to be. That problem is not a shave board specific problem either. Second you skin pliability will affect how close your shave is partially when it snaps back afterwards and during the shave if you can't get it to stretch in such a way that the hair is line is exposed above the skin let alone whether your razor can cut that hair to the skin line while exposed.

I never said it didn't perform well for me either. My point is a tool can't perform to it's maximum ability if it is limited somehow kind of like how an engine can't produce peak rpm if the throttle is limited for safety reasons.

Even if it can doesn't necessarily mean it will.

gorgo2, brit, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  9. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I have a Krona too. An excellent and unsung razor that I use 5 or 6 times a year. Good enough to be in my rotation some day.

gorgo2, Frijolero, brit and 1 other person like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

You asked for feedback in your first post, and I shared mine with you. I stand by it. We have an honest difference of opinion. To your latest point, I cannot judge the quality of another person's shave. If someone claims a BBS shave or whatever...I have no way (or reason) to say otherwise. And you don't, either. Who cares anyway?

I hope you find a razor that works well for you. That's really all that matters. Have fun. It's just shaving.

gorgo2, Juno, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yep I kept the Krona and sold the Fatboy .

gorgo2, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

just not into all the hype.. better shaves for me with new oc and brit razors, techs etc..its just a one fits all type razor..

gorgo2, Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  13. Primotenore

Article Team
    Once I figured out how to find an angle, there hasn't been once, that I haven't achieved a BBS shave using my Fatboy (on every setting, BTW).
    Also, if I were a betting man, my money would be on the Fatboy's ability to give a BBS shave and not the Fatboy's user to know how to get one.

gorgo2, Enrico, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Is that ability somehow unique to the Fatboy in your world? I'm not you but I have 120 or so other razors that are not Fatboys that give me a BBS on my beard every time .

gorgo2, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  15. Primotenore

Article Team
    Not at all unique. I could have just as easily substituted any other razor in that statement, but this is a "Fatboy" thread. Ergo...

gorgo2, Juno, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Just checking :) .

17. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

This is what I like about the Shave Den..............civility!

18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

The Gillette TTO head profile never really agrees with me.

gorgo2, Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  19. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Back to OP...that is shocking...I, in all my genorosity and gesture of good faith will be happy to purchase said razor for $8, thus providing you with a small profit and allowing you to relieve yourself of the confounded machine :)

Robert.

CrustyCat, gorgo2, brit and 7 others like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I was going to do the same, but quite honestly I already have four FB (I enjoy them all) and really don't need another. I have no trouble getting grand shaves from any of them.

Quite simply if the razors in perfect order (meaning it's adjusting as it should) then the only other thing is technique.