February 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 31, 2019.

?

What favorites will you be using this month?

1. My favorite DE other than a Fatboy!

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. My Fatboy - because it's AWESOME!!

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Another adjustable - because it's almost as AWESOME as the Fatboy!

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. A straight razor or two or three - because the Dark Side and I are one!

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. SE razors - because they are the coolest and vintagiest of all the vintages!

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  6. Mostly cookies. Maybe some cake. And ice cream when I can get it!

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Cute pic! Have a great weekend, Andrew!

2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

February 22nd
    Canadian prewar Tech w Astra SP (1)
    Palmolive Menthol SC
    30DC LE
    Thayers
    Fine Fresh Vetiver AS
    IMG_1753.jpg
    Very nice shave early this morning. Many of us on here seem to have a cheap/drugstore soap or cream(s) they love that punches much above its weight class in terms of quality of lather and performance. For some it is Arko, for others it is Williams, etc. Palmolive products are those for me, especially the cousin to this cream, the regular Shave Stick. I got the usual outstanding lather this morning, and I even enjoy the soapy menthol scent.
    I changed the blade to an Astra, as I'm experimenting a bit to see why yesterday didn't produce the usual results. I had 3 smooth passes, that left me just short of completely smooth. Just a bit of very minor sandpaper atg around my mouth. I love this razor, but I think that anything that follows a week of the MonoBilt may be in for a tough haul for me. Still a very enjoyable, effective shave. The Fine splash was a quality way to finish it off as well.
    Have a great day, all!

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Andrew!

4. Norcalnewb

Beautiful black and white photo, Clint!

5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Excellent picture, Jason! I had a Monobilt on loan from Andrew. Excellent shaver! It would be a tough act to follow.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

TGIF! Love the photo!

The times I've bowl lathered The Fat have been less than stellar. It just doesn't whip up like face lathering. I load the absolute fool out of it. Tons of suds come over the edge of the container and I gather all that up and smear it on before face lathering. Dip the tips of the brush in the water and keep lathering. I hope you'll stick with it and try some tips because The Fat is a fine soap in my opinion.

7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Nice shave and seeing dad and son together is always great. Boys need their dads!

8. Norcalnewb

The Fat definitely takes a little playing around with to get it dialed in, but once you do, it is awesome stuff. On my first puck, I followed @PLANofMAN's thread on sousing the soap until it swelled up and filled the whole ceramic container. It seemed to add the perfect about of water, and so I added very small amounts just as needed. This time, I am thinking of grating and pressing it into the container, which will change this a bit. I face lather it, and did find that if I added water very slowly (nothing like Stirling) it would take the water and build a nice lather.

Fantastic picture of you and Logan!

9. Norcalnewb

Wonderful picture, Jason!

10. jtspartan

Great filter again. Lots of Bay Rum on here lately. Are you keeping the Arko going all month, Jim?
    I am seriously about to go do a search for yellow metallic pigment, Jim. That lemon drop is just outstanding.
    Love the pic this morning, Perry. Very cool. How is that clone in comparison to the good 'ol Schicks?
    You've probably already landed, Brian, so I'll just say I hope the flight was uneventful!
    That is quite the blade, Paul! I'm not a straight razor user, so I have no idea about using a blade that deep, but it seems to me that it would be difficult to maneuver. Is that about as big as they get? Keith has shown a couple smilers about the same size, I think.
    Great write up as usual. Love that old bottle, Joseph. My mom actually has a Pinaud bottle even a bit older than that one, complete with original glass stopper. No label on it, though.
    The generosity of this place rocks! What a great surprise.
    Great minds on the Fresh Vetiver today, Clint.
    Uh huh. We'll see how that goes on here...
    TGIF indeed! Great pic.
    I've actually never tried the Fat. It is one of the iconic products that I haven't come across, but I'm sure you'll get it dialed in soon. Sounds like you're already getting great advice from The Fat Pros.

11. jtspartan

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Douglas Carey, brit, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  12. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Jason! Kinda gimmicky and serves no purpose but the Lemon Drop glows in the dark.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

13. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I grated my current puck and pressed it into the ceramic container. Lasts forever.

Thanks, Jason! The O clone reminds me of the L or M razor heads. Fairly mild. The twin blade helps amp it up some. It works very well.

Douglas Carey, RyX, Frijolero and 9 others like this.
  14. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Jason, nice commentary on the shave.

Douglas Carey, clint64, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

You are too kind, Jim! Thank you!
    Thanks Joe!
    Thank you, Perry! I'm not giving up on it yet, I will try face lathering and see how that goes.
    Thanks Danny!

16. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jason! On days I am shaving out my Dopp kit, I am using Arko all month. When I shave at home, I am using only Stirling. It's been fun, but I am ready for something a bit different. :)

Douglas Carey, RyX, Frijolero and 9 others like this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thanks Jim!
    Interesting video, thank you Andrew.

18. Primotenore

Article Team
    Nice family photo! Regarding the Fat...BLOOM IT!

19. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thank you Paul. Do you mean that the spine is being ground down? I pretty sure it isn't.

20. Primotenore

Article Team
    Beautiful shot, Jason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.