Barbasol Brotherhood

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Bama Samurai, Jul 3, 2016.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Pretty sure that's Publix usual price for the 10 oz, which was more than WM wants.

2. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

That sucks. The 7 oz cans are $1.49 here on Ohio. $1.49 isnt quite highway robbery but $1.89 sure is. If they tried to charge $1.89 for the 7 oz, Id go straight to Foamy! Hey, soaps are nice too though! ;)

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Foamy, the times I've used it, is airy and drier than the Big B. Wasn't as pleasant to use, not going to try the Chinese stuff from $ Tree.

4. Badgerstate

Weird. I find Foamy to be creamier and slicker than Barbasol. YMMV. You could try Target. They have a house brand that isnt bad. No idea where its made or whom its made by though but for .99, how can you go wrong?

5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

If there is a problem with Barbasol, whats wrong with soap and a brush?
    I mean Arko is around a dollar and is a lather bomb that lasts for months.
    It's all good...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

6. Badgerstate

Nothing at all, other than the cost of the brush and the time it takes to whip up a lather.

AGHisBBS and Frijolero like this.
  7. Bird Lives

Here ya go...less than $10 and you've got a lifetime of shaving nirvana.. I have one and it's perfect.

8. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Just looked at barbasol.com--only 10 ounce (283g) cans are on offer there.

I suspect some retailers (Meijer, I'm looking at you) are specifying the 7-ounce cans to make their store-brand offerings seem like a better deal. Quite often, the price difference between a 10-ounce Barbasol and the store-brand alternatives was just pennies--and Barbasol undercut the store-brand price when on sale.

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I would hope that by now the website would have added the Century can.

AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  10. Badgerstate

Good for you. I did the brush and soap thing for 3 years. Its cool and fun but I reached a point where I realized that it was an unnecessary waste of time and money. YMMV though.

11. Badgerstate

Buying it from Barbasol.com at $19 for a 6-pack isnt much of a deal though. That comes out to $3.19 per can. You could just buy the 7 oz cans in the store for less money.

12. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

That wasn't the point--they still have the 10-ounce cans on offer instead of the 7s.

If the 10-ounce cans do go away, the first place they'll likely vanish from is barbasol.com. I'll keep a watchful eye on their website--and I will not be pleased if the cans shrink.

Walgreens.com still has only 10-ouncers and some flavors are 2 for $3, free ship-to-store. The discontinued Skin Conditioning is still on offer there, too, at $2.19. For the fans of the yellow can, here ya go!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    gorgo2 and AGHisBBS like this.
  13. Bird Lives

Proplem is...My main reason now for using the Big B now, is that delicious Pacific Rush Menthol.

AGHisBBS, ilts and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  14. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Saturday's Barbasol Shave 02/23/19
    DSCF3392.JPG

15. Badgerstate

At $3 a can, I dont think Id go Barbasol no matter how much I enjoyed the flavor. I mean, for that price you could just go to Arko, La Toyta or Foamy. For me, Barbasol is about cheapness.

gorgo2, AGHisBBS, brit and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bird Lives

My Safeway has the new Menthol Pacific Rush in the 7oz cans for $1.45..

I think the "Highway Robbery" prices are more the retail outlet's fault than Big B's...
    I think you should communicate these concerns with our retail store mang.

Right now I'm happy...I think $1.45 for a....actually, even $2.00 for a can of this high a quslity Menthol cream that will ladt me months....granted, I am rotating it with Williams and Arko, both of which get the Lion's share if my shaves...

But when I want that THICK and Great Barbasol Menthol....I WANT IT!
    I prefer the Menthol in this Pacific Rush to the ; dare I say it; canned Poraso even...Although the tubed Poraso is a Classic!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    brit, Ijustmissedthe50s, Ursa and 4 others like this.
  17. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I've been using it to do some excellent wetshaves with my Braun Series-9 shaver. The shaves have been smooth and comfortable.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

18. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Stopped by my local Walgreens today and they had a mix of 7- and 10-ounce cans on offer--all at $1.79.

The 7-ounce cans are history at Dollar Tree--now, they're 6 ounces.

We'll have to keep and eye on this. It may be time to go forth and scoop up the last of the big cans while they last.

While at Walgreens, I did pick up a 12-ounce can of Personal Care cream for a buck. If anyone misses the long-gone Colgate Instant Shave cans, this is a really good copy of the red-can Regular. I think it's funny that this knock-off product has outlived the product it copied by over a decade...

Even the Personal Care cream has fallen victim to the shrinking-can syndrome. It used to be a really big 14-ounce can...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Only thing I can figure is, sales are way down for B so they're switching to smaller cans to save production cost. Hate to think they'd do it just to do it but business is business.

AGHisBBS, ilts and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  20. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

There may be a practical, logistics angle to the smaller cans: Edge and other shaving gels comes in 7-ounce cans. Retailers may have asked for 7-ounce Barbasol cans so they'll fit in the same spring-loaded display racks used for shaving gels, spray deodorant, and many other toiletries.

In post #12 of this thread over at Badger & Blade, a forum member advises that they reached out to Barbasol about the 7-ounce cans and was advised that 7-ounce cans are the new standard, but the 10-ounce cans will still be available at select retailers.