Murphy and McNeil Shaving Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Hembree, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Back on the 4th of this month I posted a question on the 30DC about Murphy and McNeil to see if anyone had any experience with them or heard of them. As of the 4th of this month they had 3 sales on Etsy.

I received the order today and was really impressed with their packaging. The order was not just thrown into a box. The shaving soap was shrink wrapped separately from the four samples that was included. The ordered was placed in a box with bubble wrap. They also included the invoice and a nice letter. They stated in the letter that, “We’re just starting out, so your support means the world to us.”

I ordered Crann Bethadh - 5.5 ounces. I let my wife pick the scent.
    • Cran Bethadh - Top: Lemon, Verbena, Heart: Violet, Iris, Base: Sandalwood, Amber

The following samples were included:
    • Bad Mor – Their take on a traditional Bay Rum, Top: Allspice, Clove, Orange, Heart: Nutmeg, Pine, Base: Patchouli, Vanilla
    • Triskele – Their take on a traditional barbershop
    • Trinity - Top: Bergamot, Apple, Pineapple, Heart: Rose, Birch, Jasmine, Base: Patchouli, Musk, Vanilla, Amber
    • Eisteacht - Freesia and Apricot

I do not know if they include samples and or that many samples with each order but I think they gave me a few extras trying to get the word out about their products. Which is O.K. by me.

The Cran Bethadh smells great but I will know a little more when I lather up in the morning or tonight. Fragrances is not my strong point and my wife will help me with that. I just know when something smells great and if I like it. I will chime back it and let everyone know how the soap performs.

If anyone else has experiences with Murphy and McNeil please let TSD know. Also, it would be nice to have Murphy and McNeil chime in and let us know more about their business. Where did they get the inspirations for their products, their backgrounds and what brought them into this business?

Disclaimer – Murphy and McNeil has not paid me nor ask for this review.
    thumbnail 4.jpg thumbnail 3.jpg thumbnail 2.jpg thumbnail 1.jpg

Attached Files:

2. jaxstraww

jaxstraww Well-Known Member

Links please.

Loving their label design.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

3. Hembree

4. Hembree

5. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Cool! Will be interested in hearing more.

6. Hembree

01/15/2019

RazoRock 400 Noir Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush
    Salsa Bowl / Timeless bowl scuttle
    Murphy & McNeil – Crann Bethadh Shaving Soap
    Voshkod blade
    Rockwell 6s – Plate 5 on a Weber Bulldog Handle

I used the soap for the first time this morning and was impressed with its performance.

Please keep in mind that I have only been using artisan soap for about three weeks and my main comparison is my Stirling Noir shaving soap. I know that there are many on this forum that are more qualified at this but I will give it a go.

First, Murphy and McNeil soap comes in the same Parkway container as the Stirling. It is just a different color. You may be asking why I like this. As you accumulate soaps it is nice for staking purposes if the containers are the same. It keeps the den nice and organized. The Murphy and McNeil soaps will stack nice with the Stirlings. Yes, it is a small thing but I like it.

Second, Lets talk performance. I dampened my RazoRock and swirled a small amount of the soap onto the ends of the bristles. I then lathered up in the salsa bowl adding small amounts of water by dipping the tip of the brush in hot water and then continuing to work the lather up. This soap was impressive. It does not take much. I actually thought I did not load enough but I had more lather than I needed this morning. The soap seems to build up quicker than my Stirling and seems to take a little less. The lather whipped up quick to a nice glossy sheen. Awesome soap!

O.K. so whips up nice and quick but how does it do on the face. I did two passes with the Rockwell 6s on plate five and clean up a few places on the neck. It was a very close and comfortable shave. The soap was slick and left my face feeling nice. I purposely did not apply any post balm or aftershave this morning just to see how the post shave felt with just the soap. I of course rinsed with cold water and my face felt great. My face was not dry and felt great. As of writing this it has been about one hour since I shaved and the post shave still feels great.

Third, Lets talk about the scent. This is one area I just cannot nail down and neither could my wife. It is not a strong scent but more of a subdued scent. I am still picking up just a little off of my face about an hour after I shaved. I like the scent and it is pleasant but I just cannot figure it out. Fragrances is not my strong point.

I have four samples that was including with my order and I will give a quick review on those in the future.

Would I buy Murphy and McNeil soaps in the future? Most definitely. Would I buy Crann Bethadh again? Probably not but if it was the only soap they offered I would.

I think the Murphy and McNeil soaps will be a strong contender in the market.

Y'all take care and have a great week!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  7. Hembree

01/23/19

Murphy & McNeil - Triskele
    Rockwell Razor – Plate 5 on a Weber Classic Handle
    Nivea Post Balm
    Pinuad Clubman Classic

Great shave this morning with no weepers or nicks. Just a nice comfortable shave with three passes.

First time trying the Murphy & McNeil Triskele sample. It is their take on the barbershop scent. The only comparison I have is to RazoRock What the Puck Blue Barbershop. The scents are totally different to me and the Blue Barbershop has more of a soapy scent to it. The Murphy & McNeil has a real nice fresh scent to it and seems to pair up with the Clubman Classic nice.

I took just a small amount (and I do mean small amount) of the soap with my finger and smeared it in the bottom of the salsa bowl. It did not take long to whipped up some nice lather. The Murphy & McNeil soap performs great.

I almost forgot. I have been using lighter razors for the past couple of weeks and broke out the Rockwell on the Weber classic handle. This is one heavy set up but a great shave combo. If I need a tack hammer I have one in the den.

Y'all take care and have a great hump day!

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Hembree

2/8/19

Murphy & McNeil – Trinity, sample
    CVS SE blade – 4th shave
    Gem Feather Weight
    Nivea Aftershave balm
    Pinuad Clubman Classic

Forth SE shave for this month and the first with the Feather Weight. Totally different experience with the FW vs the Shovelhead. The FW seems to be a little smoother and not as aggressive. It gave a nice shave with just a slight touch of alum burn. I would not even call it a burn but more of a warm sensation. The FW is definitely a light razor compared to the Shovelhead on the Weber bulldog handle. I was careful to not apply any pressure to the FW because of its weight.

The Murphy & McNeil soap performed great and gave a nice slick cushion for the Feather Weight. Great scent as well.

Finished up with some Nivea and Clubman classic.

Overall it was a great Friday morning shave and I will give the Feather Weight some more attention in the future. They are great razors!

Y'all take care and have a great Friday!

[​IMG]

10. Hembree

02/23/2019

Salsa Bowl – Timeless Bowl Scuttle
    Murphy & McNeil – Bad Mor
    Gillette Fatboy – Nine, Oh Yeah!
    Vohskod Blade - New
    Nivea Sensitive Post Balm
    Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum

This is Fatboy February and I wanted to stay in the “click” even though I have been doing a SE focus. I figured I better get a Fatboy shave in.

I have shaved with the Fatboy once before and my Adjustable Executive once as well. I believe both were throttled back to five. I took Fuzzy's @wchnu lead and opened the Fatboy up to nine and left it there. This thing is like a 1973 Corvette with an automatic coming out of 2nd gear into 3rd at about 70 miles an hours. It is made to run and pull. I was a little scared at first but then I manned up and proceeded. I can honestly say this is one of my better shaves. The Murphy and McNeil is slick and provides a great cushion. The Fatboy mowed down about two and half days growth with no problem.

I really like the scent of the Bad Mor by Murphy and McNeil. It is more of a subdued Bay Rum, not strong and not clovie – just a nice pleasant scent. The more I use Murphy and McNeil the more I like their shaving soaps. They do a great job.

The alum was a slightly warm on the neck but the checks were great. Applied some Nivea post balm. I waited a few minutes and splashed a little Pinaud Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum.

Y'all take care and and have a great weekend. Shave on!

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I like Murphy & McNeil's products. Am actually waiting on a order from them from a day or 2 ago. Their customer service is incredible, have exchanged emails with Bill a few times and he replied much faster than expected. Plus their shipping is free and fast.

So far I have only tried their tallow formula, but ordered their previous soap base as well as a sample of the Duck Fat base. Am curious to see how the 3 formulas compare with each other.

Frijolero likes this.
  12. Hembree

Keep us posted and you are right about their customer service. I really like their scent profiles that I have tried so far.....not strong and very pleasant.

13. SHAVEWIZARD420

The classic Black & White labels are elegant yet simple, they draw attention but not in an obnoxious way.

As for performance their soap base is very good. Has a creamy milky consistency and can handle a good amount of water. So far I would highly recommend Murphy & McNeil, plus they also sell used soaps/Aftershaves which is a awesome idea IMO.

Frijolero and Murphy and McNeil like this.
  14. I appreciate all this great feedback y’all.

Very nice to see these messages come across when I’m trying to catch up packing what feels like 5 million sample pouches! :) Gives me a little boost!

15. Hembree

Their soap is thirsty and like you said it can handle a lot of water.

Very classic design.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  16. SHAVEWIZARD420

Your right about their scents, they are not strong but not faint either, no hunting down the scent to detect it. So far I have only tried Ouroboros and Kell's, both are nice scents that remind me of other scents I have tried: Ouroboros (Reef Point Dragons Blood), Kell's (Wild West Pinkerton) they are not exact but VERY close and if you like one you would probably like the other.

Frijolero likes this.
  17. SHAVEWIZARD420

DANG! do you see how fast Bill responded? That was like 2 minutes. Freaky fast lol. Don't get discouraged Bill your efforts are not for naught and we appreciate your efforts!

Paul Turner and Frijolero like this.
  18. Hembree

Great product and service it what it is all about............. now keep filling those pouches! :signs107: The world needs more Murphy & McNeil.:shaver

Frijolero likes this.
  19. Haha. I appreciate it. If anyone finds a sample packing machine for these little black pouches... name your price! :)

I’m about to start sending them out on plastic spoons in a ziplock bag lol.

Frijolero likes this.
  20. Hembree

Do not send your soap to me like that............I may try and eat it!:eatdrink020:

Frijolero likes this.