Martin De Candre (MDC) Rose

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by markjnewcomb, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

Okay, so I gave MdC a try this morning and have to say it has lived up to billing. This is based on only one use, so there may be less positive experiences in the future, but today was very nice. I am really impressed by how easy this soap is to generate a very nice lather... the brush (Kent BLK 8) exploded with lather after about 10 swirls on the soap. I shaved with my Hart Steel 5/8 barber notch straight with no nicks, cuts or irritation of any kind. Post shave included alum and cold water followed by Captain's Choice Venture... All is good!

Mitchell's has been my best performing soap. Compared to Mitchell's MdC is definitely easier to lather, and based on my one experience I think it performs (i.e., cushion, slickness) every bit as well as MWF.

2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

When you get to know it, it will be a bit better. It’s very soluble and easy to overload the brush if you’re used to the ‘load it like you hate it’ routine. 10-15 ‘swirls’ with a good cream brush should give you plenty of lather. BTW, that solubility makes it a good travel soap, it will lather in any kind of water. I have some fougere made into a stick.

If you face lather, you can also load a drier brush then start adding water as you build the lather. When you get the right amount of water in it, you’ll feel the lather ‘loosen’ up and become very slick. As usual, you should be able to rinse the lather off the razor under a light stream of faucet water. It’s also a very ‘clean’ soap that leaves little residue on the sink, razor, or your skin.

Enjoy! Steve

Hodge, jtspartan, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  3. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

And I'm tell'n ya that MdC Rose is made for we Kings. ;)

Keithmax, Martin-j, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  4. MacDaDad

There are no less than a month and a halfs worth of shaves from that jar. ;)

DSC_1526.JPG

brit, Hodge, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  5. Martin-j

Okay, so I broke down and ordered the original scent tonight. So when that arrives, I will have about a 5 years worth of soap between the two MdCs and 2 untouched MWF pucks. This is, of course, after i work through the remnants of two Fine pucks (lavender and green vetiver), and two Stirling picks (Ozark Mtn and Lemon Chill).

Oh, who am kidding, I'll somehow find something else I need and will give in. I'm weak.

brit, Hodge, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  6. MacDaDad

I have enough soap to last me until I'm 167 years old. ;)

7. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried their Vetiver scent?

If so, please describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It’s a grassy, woody vetiver, no smokiness or ‘campfire’ in it. The scent is simple and well done as you’d expect of MdC. There’s no benzoin resin (as in the original and rose) in it that I can tell. Scent strength is moderate as received.

Cheers, Steve

Hodge, brit and Frijolero like this.
  9. Martin-j

Alright, I have to admit I've lost my marbles. I have been digging the two MdC soaps I have so much I went and really did it... and ordered the Vetiver and Argumes direct from the manufacturer. Buying two at once cuts the shipping resulting in a slightly lower unit cost when all is considered. I'm not sure how long they will take to arrive, but based on the spectacular performance and scent of the two I have, the wait will be worth it. For me, the soaps are really superior to everything else I have, except MWF, which I consider a peer to MdC.

I am now done buying anything for a while...

10. MacDaDad

You wouldn't lie to a fellow, would you? :) I can't remember how long my shipment took from MdC but it was about a week as I remember. When I bought my 'Rose', I bought a razor from them (that I didn't need) so as to make the shipping appear to be more reasonable. The things a guy goes thru for the appearance. ;)

11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It’s usually a little under a week for me here in the southeast US. They ship expedited (Colis, the French equivalent of EMS or US Priority Mail) and it arrives quickly.

You’re about to get a box of goodness @Martin-j

Cheers, Steve

Martin-j, clint64 and MacDaDad like this.
  12. Martin-j

Okay, so USPS brought a nicely wrapped and fragrant package today, 6 calendar days after ordering... and on a snowy day here outside of Boston. I am impressed with how fast it arrived.

On top of the two shave soaps, I received a couple bath soap samples that are on first impression, very nice.

I tried to attached an image of the whole family together but keep getting an error message.

Keithmax and MacDaDad like this.
  13. MacDaDad

DSC_1529.JPG
    That happens to me quite a bit here, not being allowed to post photos on account of size. Not sure but I think we're being limited to less size than we were a year ago.

Keithmax likes this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It may be the way that you process images. Currently most of mine are shot with an iPhone and processed in mobile Lightroom then re-exported to ‘small’, 2048 pixels. I have noticed that if I rotate the image in the iPhone photo app then export amd process in LR, the image will be too large for TSD, but if I export to LR then rotate and process, exporting to 2048 pixels, it will post fine.

Cheers, Steve

Keithmax and MacDaDad like this.
  15. MacDaDad

Steve, I hope you realize that I didn't have tv until I was 14 years old. ;) :D

Steve56 likes this.
  16. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

No MdC collection would be complete unless it contained their “brain bowl”. Im working my way through a second one and will surely purchase another. I own the Rose and the Vetiver and love them both as well.

Martin-j, MacDaDad and Steve56 like this.
  17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Lol, posting photos is not as easy as it should be. In all fairness, part of it is that different sites have different photo size requirements. Some sites automatically re-size images and people complain about that too ! I’m an amateur photographer and have to chuckle a little.

Cheers, Steve

brit and MacDaDad like this.
  18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Agree ! You do know that there is a new square brain bowl for the original, and the fougere is now offered in the original brain bowl?

Cheers, Steve

MacDaDad likes this.