Oldest wet shaving forums

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Alex7, Feb 22, 2019.

1. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1.jpg

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I don't want to turn this into a B&B gripe session. There are many refugees here and with the Moderation policies over there we're certain to provide a safe harbor for more.
    Gary, I don't condone rabble rousing. You are free to do as you wish. I made some fast friends there & their database is deep. That's what catches so many Newbies - when you google they pop to the top. Fortunately the spankings given there make for better members here.
    That's that raw newbie effect I think. We have our share, but folks here celebrate new members. One visit to The Welcome Center and you'll see how shavers - be they veteran or only wet shave curious are welcomed to this community.
    I've heard it called "Eurocentric". It's not a bad thing since many fine shave products originate from not just British companies, but French, German, Dutch, etc. Us upstart Americans have our style even if it's brash and less cultured.
    The stigma of patchouli comes from those '60'-'70's hippies. Some folks (including retired Navy Moderators of an unnamed forum) associate it with draft dodging, pot smoking, free love, anti-establishment. unwashed, long hair types. It's earthy and floral and varies in scent depending on the source of the raw biological components and the processing. It's also used in many products as one of the scents combined with others. If you are curious check with a health food store. I'd suggest sniffing several makers offerings of essential oil because they will be different.

3. brit

brit in a box

no sir, i don't go around looking for or starting fights.but it feels good to express a thought..i have and do still find info and answers on other forums,and am thankful that info is available openly. but am actively a member here..now if i was aggressively confronted ....

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

stand your ground.jpg
    No matter how weird your opinion is, there's probably someone that shares it!
    The power of the internet has brought us all here despite the current trend of Hipster/Lumberjack beards, the scruffy two week old stubble look, or Gillette's latest advertisements.

5. brit

brit in a box

yes sir..thank you..there were a lot of folks who would dress up like cowboys around here.. many who have never rode a horse..another trend..thankfully we are all like minded here in different ways..makes for a better experience..if i wanted to start and use trac ll for the rest of my days i would get ribbed a little here but not ridiculed..

6. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

You do know that the Cartel would banish you to the outer realm!

jgreenepa, Keithmax, RyX and 3 others like this.
  7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1a.jpg
    1.jpg

8. brit

brit in a box

yes probably...can't imagine what fuzzy would say,well could..

Keithmax, RyX, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

Hembree, RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  10. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Yes at work I see all the kids with their as you say "Hipster/Lumberjack" beards and so on. I make it a point to tell them all to shave, that they look ridiculous. It might actually be working on them because their beards are getting shorter...hehe.

Keithmax, Frijolero, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I'd be more then happy to give a slight peek into that rant.... but they would prolly kick me out of here.

Just for the record I was kicked out of B&B at one point.

Tedolph, Shaver X, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    NO WAY!!!

Shaver X, Keithmax, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Join the club.

In my case the reason was a discussion with one of the dictators ehhh moderators.

14. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Theres a difference between having a beard and grooming/taking care of it and having a beard and looking like youre just lazy or dont care. Ive got a lumberjack beard and people always tell me how awesome it looks but then again I wash it, put oil in it and comb/brush it, so it doesnt look all nasty like Im a homeless person.
    I wear a lot of flannel too, so maybe people just think Im a lumberjack???

15. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I had wondered what happened.

16. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I came here from B&B - a good friend of mine and JoAnna took me into this wonderful group.

jgreenepa, Shaver X, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  17. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

I am a member on two forums. I don’t post enough but I sure get a ton of information and help from the folks here. @Enrico told me about this forum and I spend more time here than any.

jgreenepa, Hembree, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  18. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

TSD and The Shaving Cadre are the 2 fourms I post on almost daily. They both have a much more layed back atmosphere compaired to the other fourms. I do have accounts with B&B, DFS, and Reddit but they do not have the same vibe and have on occasion been ridiculed for posting opinions of certain artisans (from fanboys) when we all have different views and ethics. The good thing is there are several fourms to choose from and if you don't like one for whatever reason, you can move on and find another place to discuss this awesome hobby.

Thank you TSD for being a class act! Bunch of really good people around here.

jgreenepa, Hembree, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  19. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

Is The Shaving Cadre a more recent forum?

jgreenepa, Hembree and brit like this.
  20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Well, that is not what I was trying to suggest :p

But just like a lot of product and shops information on TSD is very helpful for Americans, the reviews of European products and shops are very useful for European shavers. I follow some UK, German, and Dutch shaving forums, and each of them is helpful in their own way.

And yes ... some off topic discussions on TSD are very American ... That is not a bad thing though ;)