February 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 31, 2019.

?

What favorites will you be using this month?

1. My favorite DE other than a Fatboy!

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. My Fatboy - because it's AWESOME!!

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Another adjustable - because it's almost as AWESOME as the Fatboy!

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. A straight razor or two or three - because the Dark Side and I are one!

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. SE razors - because they are the coolest and vintagiest of all the vintages!

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  6. Mostly cookies. Maybe some cake. And ice cream when I can get it!

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brit

brit in a box

cool set up and pic..stay warm..

Linuxguile, Hembree, clint64 and 4 others like this.
  2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Nice gear, but not so nice weather! 16 to 24 inches of snow is not fun! Be safe, Patrick!

Linuxguile, Hembree, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

February Favorites

February 24

Razor - Gillette New SC Deluxe
    Blade - sharp-star.jpg
    Soap - Tabac
    Brush - Jayaruh #54
    Post - Alum

All righty then. Back to shaving. I had a decent day of everything else today, looked scruffy, so was ready to shave by the time the day ended. Even more than usual. I couldn't resist using the New SC Deluxe again - he just looks so amazingly shiny. Still with the Sharp Star and - using a favorite soap I hadn't yet touched in February - Tabac. Talk about grandma's purse, old men, whatever you like - I'm man enough to use it and LIKE it. My wife instantly recognizes the scent and likes it as well. I did three passes, taking my time enjoying the lather from the JR54 as well as the look of that shiny razor doing its thing. My wife seems surprised I'm using it now. She doesn't quite get the fact that the value in vintage gear, especially restored vintage gear, is its ability to perform exactly as when it was new. Love it.

Two days off for me now, at least from the world of mattresses. I'll pick up my new laptop tomorrow (took the old one apart to see if I could fix it and found out just how badly it got damaged. Yeah. Terminal) then doing the grocery shopping while my wife sees clients. Tuesday will be a day of my "other job" but that will be a nice diversion as that continues to evolve as well. Should be a fun and profitable two days. Hope your Monday starts the week off well!

February 24 2019.jpg

RyX, Linuxguile, Hembree and 14 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

awesome set up..

9nein9, Linuxguile, Hembree and 5 others like this.
  5. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

I'm giving it a shot but it's a just a really strong smell that I'm not digging on the first two shaves.

Congrats on completing your soaps! Awesome picture as well. I'm curious as to how you like Captain's choice shaving cream? How does it compare to B&M and Stirling?

Haha...glad to be a part of the Midnight Shaving club! I'll have to add that to my signature. I agree...I've always been a night owl...early mornings suck from my perspective. ;) It's a lot easier to take my time in the evening.
    Happy belated bday to Logan! Love the shirt that Declan is sporting. :D

Funny you mentioned Arko Rick...Since I just could not take the smell of Tabac by itself I thought...why not combine it with Arko for a Super Soap...and you know what..the smell of the two combined is actually better! :happy097:

For me..I'm still smooth enough in the morning that all I have to do is wash my face and put on a moisturizer and I'm good to go.

Linuxguile, Hembree, RyX and 11 others like this.
  6. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Good morning/evening Gents!

I've missed reporting the last couple of shaves so I'll do a two in one report.

First Shave
    Razor: Merkur 23C
    Blade: Shark Super Chrome
    Preshave:
    Lather
    : Tabac
    Brush: Synbad Synthetic brush
    Postshave: Alum, Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated aftershave

Tried the Tabac again by itself but just could not take the smell. Good shave though with the Alum just stinging a little bit. A question to you gents when using the alum block...The edges of my block are quite sharp on some sides so when applying it It kinda hurts. Any ideas on smoothing it out a bit around the edges?

Second Shave
    Razor: Merkur 23C
    Blade: Shark Super Chrome
    Preshave:
    Lather
    : Tabac
    Brush: Synbad Synthetic brush
    Postshave: Alum, Pacific Shaving Company Caffeinated aftershave

Since I could not take the smell of the Tabac by itself I decided to take the rest of the sample and press it into my Arko container...Figured two not great smells might combine into a better smell. Yeah...I'm that kind of :signs047::p. But wouldn't you know it the smell and the performance of the two together was much better! Though I did realize I should have added more water for the combo. Arko did overpower the moisturizing of the tabac. Not to say that Tabac was a great moisturizer from a post shave standpoint but it was still better than the dryness of arko. That lather was stupendous however! That's it for today I think. Happy shaves gents!

RyX, jtspartan, Linuxguile and 12 others like this.
  7. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

As someone who has spent a lot of times in hotel rooms while I was traveling full time I can empathize! Toilet not working is def a deal breaker. Still...it is a pain to have to move once you've settler in. Weishi was my very first razor when I started DE shaving about 6 months ago. I may have to revisit it again at some point.

:happy088::happy102:...I approve of Spock as Captain.
    Nice pic and that is a very well restored razor!

RyX, Linuxguile, Hembree and 11 others like this.
  8. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thanks Gary.

Thanks Joe, running out of room to put the stuff.

Great report Neal .

2 great reports there!

RyX, Linuxguile, Hembree and 8 others like this.
  9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks for the kind words! You pose a tough question. I have many uses with Stirling and Barrister and Mann soaps and only one with Captains Choice. I had a fine shave with the CC but I don't have enough experience with it to draw a direct comparison.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

brit, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  10. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

:happy102:...Oh man...I've never seen that video. Hilarious!

brit, RyX, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
  11. Spock

Spock Well-Known Member

Lol...My backyard at one point. You know it's funny they use that slogan as I've never seen more "people"...ahem..."adults"... stressed out in any one place than the "Happiest place on earth". ;)

brit, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Patrick!

brit, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Wonderful shave, Patrick!

brit, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  14. Trigger

Neal, Excellent post and pic!

brit, 9nein9, NCoxSTL and 6 others like this.
  15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD February 25, 2019

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: Schick
    Razor: PAL Injectomatic
    Brush: jtspartan Tuxedo flat top synthetic
    Soap: Route 66 Cavendish
    Post: Witch hazel, Maggards Tobacco and Leather aftershave

Some new gear thanks to @jtspartan. Worked out a deal for this PAL Injectomatic (in beautiful shape) and then I was fortunate to win the PIF for his beehive tuxedo brush. Put both to work today for a nice shave. The PAL is a different animal, much different to me than even the PAL Adjustable. It's more inline with the E series. Gotta watch the angle but two passes did the job quite well. Light touch, keep the angle - the same for any razor.

I'm going to work on this sample a few times this week to finish it off and free up this container.

Have a great day!

SOTD 2-25-19.jpg

brit, 9nein9, jtspartan and 11 others like this.
  16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Classic shave, Patrick! This must be a record-breaking year for snow in your neck of the woods.
    That's a beautiful SC, Neal! Chris at RazorPlate does impeccable work. Bummer you had to replace your laptop.
    Great shaves, Nirav! Too bad you don't like the Tabac scent. It's a great performing soap. I'm surprised you didn't get some sort of chemical reaction when you mixed it with Arko.
    1.jpg

brit, 9nein9, jtspartan and 10 others like this.
  17. Trigger

Perry, that's a nice piece!

brit, 9nein9, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  18. wristwatchb

Fantastic looking PAL Injectomatic and super cool JasonCo Beehive Tuxedo, Perry. They are very nice additions to your den. Have a great day with your students.
    1.jpg

19. wristwatchb

February 25

Parker SRX
    Lord Super Stainless (1)
    Simpson Chubby 2 Super
    Soap Commander Love
    Alum, Thayers WH & USB
    47th focus shave

I'm fixin' to go up and enjoy a great shave before seeing my kiddos today. I was pleasantly surprised this morning to learn that I'm down almost 62 lbs! I'm increasing my calorie budget to about 2000 calories per day as I get closer to my target weight of 205 lbs. I'm also trying to be more consistent with daily exercise, which mostly consists of brisk walking and stair climbing when the opportunity presents itself.

Yesterday, I climbed 11 floors of stairs at church (up and down)...good exercise for me, and it helps the old legs and knees stay strong. I met a gent last week that climbs stairs with a moderately loaded backpack as training for his hikes. He does 50 floors (up and down) in 30 minutes on his normal workout. Sometimes he goes downtown to one of the hotels and climbs a total of 125 floors. Amazing.

I hope you all have a fantastic Monday.

SOTD_022519.jpg 1.png

20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great classic shave Patrick.

Wow. Tabac and Arko mixed together. You're lucky to survive the experiment. ;)

Congrats on the razor and the brush Perry. They look fantastic. I hope you have a great week.

Great looking shave Charlie.

brit, 9nein9, RyX and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.