The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Tom, looks like a great pickup! Joe

Edison Carter and TestDepth like this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thanks Joe. This one might be a challenge to balance keeping the light etch and cleaning up the rust.

Edison Carter likes this.
  3. Trigger

Tom, I am not at the level of doing any restoration, but I do know that it is a time-consuming and delicate venture. Good Luck!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Edison Carter, brit and TestDepth like this.
  4. TestDepth

I think I found the connection...
    FA63DD60-7D2A-4F2D-B9F1-B79D4DF25455.jpeg
    The Morley Bros were a hardware importer/distributor since 1863, and the had the Wedgeway trademark on that Ator. One more mystery of the universe solved. :)
    Oh, and Ern won a prize at the 1904 St. Louis Worlds Fair. I couldn’t make out the St. Louis on the design, but now I see.

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Andrew's
    Swedish Steel
    Andrew's Barber School
    Toledo O.-Buffalo N.Y.

This one was bought for a song, $15 total. It looked ok, in the So So photos. The blade looked a little cruddy, but once I used a little rubbing alcohol, on the blade, I discovered it was N.O.S. It has never touched a hone, and still has the sharp factory edge on it. Unknown of the age, but, by the looks of it, perhaps, 60's-80's??? Unless, anyone else has info. on it. Oh, any dark areas on the blade are just shadows, except for one pinpoint dot of corrosion on the toe end.

P2250814.JPG

P2250815.JPG

Primotenore, Karl G, Timwcic and 7 others like this.
  6. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Awesome find!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Very Nice :drool:

8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Sweeeet!

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Thanks guys, hopefully it will take a nice edge. I'm a big fan of Swedish Steel.

10. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My FW. Engels Special Solingen 6/8th Arrived from the USA Today..Its Near Mint & Beautiful Designed..Cant Wait to Get Her on the Hones...These Pics Dont Do it Any Justice..Its Closer to a 6/8th than Advertised as a 5/8th..Delighted...:)

Billy..:chores016:

brit, Primotenore, Karl G and 7 others like this.
  11. Heljestrand23

Heljestrand23 Well-Known Member

I love those bolsters!!! So nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Trigger

I have the Engel special and it is not mint like yours, but it is a good shaver. Your Engel is going to be much better.

Karl G, Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:thanks:I Have it on the Bevel Hone at the Moment..I Reckon this Razor is NOS..:sport026:

Billy..:chores016:

14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

True confessions - I received a razor yesterday, nice Solingen 13/16, dropped it unwrapping it and it hit the metal leg of my work bench, gone. Broke like a sliver of ice.

brit, Karl G, Timwcic and 3 others like this.
  15. oscar11

Didn't mean to be a thread killer. lol I don't feel bad about the money but I wasted a piece of history. I broke a DD Dwarf once too. Truly a dweeb move.

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have my own ooops moments too, dropped razors, cutting a new strop etc....

brit, Karl G, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  17. oscar11

We're all human. I wrecked a rosewood brush handle that day too, completely finished. The lathe will break your heart too.

18. oscar11

I jumped right back into the frying pan and bought a couple more straights, insomnia is good for something. Same thing on the lathe, I could still screw this up. I'll part it off after a dr. appointment. My son wants a Colts shaving brush. Barbershop style.
    [​IMG]

brit, Keithmax, Karl G and 8 others like this.
  19. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

A stubby from today’s Flea market. One year shy of it’s bicentennial. An Allison wedge in clear horn. Has even spine wear and all 4 high dome washers. This has been used and loved. Has the Royal Cypher of King George III who died in 1820. Allison, to the best of my google-fu, was in production from 1820-1830. Put the razors date at 1820. This is my second wild Allison

766E6280-DB12-439F-B9FD-B1192AC64079.jpeg 9E5C8205-1282-4502-B05A-E2B9089B26B2.jpeg 4857D517-9394-4DFF-BEEF-70727A710801.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    brit, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  20. TestDepth

Wonderful find! These older razors are really cool to see. And it’s great when the stamp is that well preserved.:happy088: