SOS: February 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Boojum1, Jan 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

February Favorites

February 27

Razor - 1955 (A4) Gillette Super Speed Red Tip
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Soap - Stirling Iced Pineapple
    Brush - Jayaruh #312
    Post - Alum

Next to the last shave for February. This month disappeared FAST! Winter weather advisory for tonight and tomorrow so we know it's not Spring yet - but we're closer than we were a month ago! I decided that Iced Pineapple soap from Stirling would be appropriate for a cold weather advisory. Get me in the mood for it. With the JR312 faux horse brush - easy and luxurious lather. Love the way the fake horse feels. Hard to tell the difference from the real thing.

The Red Tip performed splendidly tonight. I was spot on the angle at the first stroke and never looked back. I can see why these razors were popular. The extra weight gives them a hefty feel and the added few thousandths of an inch of gap adds some effectiveness. I'm struggling with how to classify this razor. It isn't mild, but isn't really aggressive either, when compared to the Fatip, 1918, R41, etc. So, in the spirit of the mattress world where you have things like "cushion firm" or "luxury firm" or the ever ambivalent "medium firm", I think this razor would be "mildly aggressive". Or "aggressively mild". Take your pick. Whatever the correct term, it is a great little shaver and once again I'm glad to have found it.

Three passes to the baby and we're one shave away from March. Speaking of that - the new 30DC thread will be up in an hour or so, most likely, for those who just can't wait. Have a great night and a better Thursday!

[​IMG]

2. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Thursday Planned SOTD
    [​IMG]

Gem Micromatic razor
    Vintage Kent R43 travel brush
    B&M Fougère Gothique shaving soap
    B&M Fougére Gothique aftershave

The Kent R43 travel brush is about the size of a Simpson Wee Scot but the knot is larger and fuller. Ive owned this guy for several years but never used it...

3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

SHAVE OF THE DAY
    20190227_135420.jpg

Prep: pre shave soap mix
    Razor: Razorock DE1
    Blade: Croma Diamat
    Brush: Maggard 30mm Synthetic
    Soap: Wheat State Soaps- Creekside

Excellent shave this morning with Wheat State. This is a very underrated artisan IMO and one that is sad is no longer in production.

Scent of Creekside is true to its name, has a earthy scent with just a touch of river water is the best way i could describe it. About 7/10 on scent strength.

Performance is very good. Lather can hold a good amount of water due to the Soy Wax and other butters. Residual slickness and face feel are both very good. Shave went well with no irritation or nicks. Finished up with Fields & Streams Balm which paired well with the Creekside, Local Gent is one of my favorite balms and is another artisan that recently closed down shop as well :(

Hope everyone is doing well and getting the best shaves possible!
    20190227_140153.jpg

jtspartan, clint64, Timwcic and 22 others like this.
  4. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Date: 28 February 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
    Brush:- RazoRock Plissoft Synth. 24/57mm knot
    Soap/Cream:- Arko (4 shaving sticks grated into a 250ml plastic tub)
    Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
    Razor/Blade:- Gillette Super Adjustable S2 1972 / Vintage NOS Gillette Stainless #2
    Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree Oil, Lavender Oil & Peppermint Oil / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
    Fragrance:- Hugo Boss (Original)

Finally, at last, the whole month of Arko February shave is over, finished, I'm never going back to that weak lemon smelly urinal cake [​IMG] maybe next year.

5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

:rofl:

TommyCarioca, clint64 and Yehuda D like this.
  6. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

THURSDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]
    Shampoo - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum Puck
    Shower Soap - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum Bar
    [​IMG]
    Razor - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Double Open Comb Ascension (316L Stainless Steel Adjustable) (Fully Screwed Down)
    Blade - [​IMG] *3rd Shave
    Shave Brush - 20mm GBS Synthetic 3rd generation
    Shave Soap - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum *CK-6 Formula
    Post-Shave Balm - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Deodorant - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Fragrance/Aftershave - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum in Stoneware Jug
    Scuttle - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Moonscape Scuttle

Okay, I know I've used this one quite a bit lately, but at least it's not Arko. ;)

***EDIT - Fantastic shave. I'm beginning to really enjoy the Ascension razor. And the CK6 lather is the most luxurious I own. Super rich. The way it can take on lots of water allows me to dial in a perfect consistency that 'I' like (watery-yogurt-like look and feel, which helps keep it moist longer and preventing dryout too quickly). It's a great shave set. Worth every penny. The scent alone is worth it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  7. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Razor: La Doucheuse
    Brush: Vie-Long horsehair
    Soap: CRSW Puro Fresco
    A/S: Razorock One X
    40F7C53F-6589-4C55-839D-B89131551460.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

8. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

Pre shave: Noxema Skin Cream & hot washcloth
    Brush: Frank's 26mm Silvertip
    TOBS: Rose
    Razor: 1946 Gillette Milord
    Blade: Gillette Rubie
    Alum Block: Osma
    Witch Hazel: Thayers Original
    Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman :)

9. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Thursday 28th February

[​IMG]

Pears Glycerine Soap
    Clubman Shave Butter (pre shave)
    TFS Ciotola Gialla Soap
    Zenith Synthetic Brush
    Baili BR171 'Tech' with a Dorco Titan Blade
    Simple Facial Toner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Williams Aqua Velva AS

3 Passes for a lovely smooth and close finish:)

10. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone! SOTD 02/28/19

Gem Clog Pruf
    Gem Personna (1)
    VDH Boar
    VDH Luxury SS
    Cold Water Rinse, Alum Block
    Gillette Cool Wave A/S

Have A Great Day! DSCF3413.JPG

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Me neither!!

12. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

SOTD 20190228.

[​IMG]

Luyixian Jiamei Cosmetics synth. "Beautiful Elements".
    Stirling "Gentleman" shaving soap (sample).
    Maggard slant / MR14 handle.
    Gillette 365 Stainless (8).
    Novaya Zarya "Consul" EdC.

13. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

6639C1D3-4602-42D7-B73F-392A140640C1.jpeg

February 28 SOTD:

Razor: Gillette Fatboy
    Blade: Gillette Nacet
    Brush: Ever-Ready 150
    Lather: Arko
    Aftershave: Maggards London Barbershop
    Additional Care:
    Stirling Unscented PSB

14. Yo Wan

Yo Wan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Soap Honey/Cinnamon by Tcharpé
    Synthetic brush from The Body Shop
    Straight I. Boland- Liège Belgium 1905

15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD February 28, 2019

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: vintage Personna Ultra Chrome
    Razor: Schick I1
    Brush: jtspartan Tuxedo flat top synthetic
    Soap: Route 66 Cavendish
    Post: Witch hazel, Jeeves of Hudson Street Tobacco Bay Leaf aftershave

Have a great day!

SOTD 2-28-19.jpg

16. shaveman

shaveman Well-Known Member

Seygus Zeppelin Razor
    Feather Blade 3rd Use
    Derby Stick Shave Soap
    Yaqi 24mm Synthetic Brush
    Cremo Post Shave Balm
    Fine Italian Citrus After Shave

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod190228.JPG
    Tabac Thursday's Shave
    zcws.jpg

Cold Water Wash
    Tabac Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #321
    Schick M-2 Adjustable
    Personna
    CWR
    Tabac AS

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Tabac Shave Soap face lathered well with the Jayaruh #321 brush. I did two passes with the Schick M-2 Adjustable razor with a Personna blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Tabac AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

February 28th
    Razor: Timeless .95 SC
    Blade: Gillette 7:0Clock Super Stainless (4)
    Brush: Grizzly Bay MaxFury
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Stirling Bay Rum witch hazel
    PAA Star Jelly unscented
    AS: PAA Atomic Age Bay Rum
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

19. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Moon Soaps | Old School
    Ever-Ready 100T | Elite Razor Manchurian
    The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 74
    Chatillon Lux | Unconditional Surrender

[​IMG]

In light of my recent positive experience with Moon Soaps' Amaretto shaving cream, I decided to give their flagship a go. "Old School" is marketed as having a "huge amount of tallow, like soap used to be." Perhaps there's a modicum of hyperbole in that statement, but I can neither affirm or disprove this has any more tallow than your average artisan tallow shaving soap. Old School's consistency is on the firmer end of the croap spectrum and it loads very easily with a well saturated---but not dripping---knot. Compared to the Amaretto cream, this is the better performer. A dense, slick lather is quickly and intuitively forthcoming yielding an oil-rich iridescent sheen. First-pass slickness is approaching high-end status, while residual slickness is competitive with the upper echelon. I was able to effortlessly employ long sweeping passes on my dome that I usually reserve for my top 5 or 6. Post-shave is easily in the crowded top ten, but it can't quite push anyone out of top 3. It's very close, however.

The scent off the tub is light and somewhat singular in nature with a faintly sweetened leather. However, once lathered, the scent strength is boosted to a 3 out of 5, and opens with a new leather and cured tobacco duet that's later accompanied and expanded by warm woody notes and gentle spicy vanilla. This well-blended fragrance remains clean throughout, and the sweetness is offered up naturally by way of the vanilla and tobacco. I found Old School to remind me of several non-descript "masculine" fragrances without approximating any of them. There's nothing audacious with respect to the array of notes in Old School, but the fragrance, while safe and even formulaic is quite pleasant and a good choice for a flagship offering.

Once again, the label art exhibits keen knowledge of graphic design and the execution is flawless. If I have anything negative to say about Old School's packaging it would be the glaring absence of a side label. I'm not certain if this is intentional or an oversight as Amaretto did have side labeling which rounds out the packaging nicely.

Old School cements my confidence in Moon Soaps as an artisan in this crowded market. They back up their attractive packaging with a very respectable product that steps out of work horse territory and into the luxury realm.

20. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Thursday

Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Baker Street
    Soap: Los Angeles Shaving Soap Woody Lavender
    Razor: Vintage Gillette NEW Short Comb
    Blade: Personna Med Prep (8)
    Brush: Mozingo/WSP Silvertip-24mmx52mm
    Aftershave: Country Club Highlands

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

LASS Woody Lavender today. 20 seconds to load the Mozingo/WSP Silvertip brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Personna Med Prep still in the Gillette NEW Short Comb. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Country Club Highlands aftershave.

Bob

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.