March 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Feb 28, 2019.

?

What Madness is March bringing to your shave?

1. I'm going to use gear I rarely or never use for the month.

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. I'm going to do a Rule.

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. It's Focus time!

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  4. Soap Madness for me....gotta make room for more!

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
  5. I'm going to eat cookies AND donuts for breakfast.

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  6. I'm going to shave completely in the dark....oh wait....that's MAYhem.

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to March Madness 2019!! This is the month where we have the chance to try new things, change routines up, compare items in honor of the real March Madness and basically just do what we do! It’s not MAYhem yet, so we’re not looking for that level of insanity, but just the chance to change things up and have some fun. My first March Madness featured a blade tournament pitting Russian steel against the world! This year it’s going to be an entirely different idea. But I think you’ll agree – for me – it will seem MAD!

A quick look back at February shows the busiest February in our history! With a short month we won’t break the all-time record, but that’s not really the goal anyway. The goal is for the newbies to learn how to shave, the not so newbies to try new stuff or just improve on what they’ve learned, and the old-timers to cheer the whole group on! We can try a few new things as well! Who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks? So…..let’s get going with March Madness!

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a March Macadamia cookie with some Mocha Mint Ice Cream and meet the gang!

Rules are the same people.

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome. Ok, ok…you’re not old. You’re experienced.
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. There is no such thing as a stupid question, or a question that has been asked too many times. If you need to know something just ask!
    7. Given the current state of the cold war between the Cartel and the Cookie Rebellion we are still offering donuts as our second option for daily goodies. We’re negotiating for cake – but until the Rebellion loosens up the Ice Cream supply that will be difficult. Negotiations continue.
    8. If you are completely at a loss to understand the Cartel, Rebellion, etc ……know that these all fall under the category of “shenanigans”. It’s just another thing we do.

Let's have some great shaves! Welcome to March Madness!!! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Post #2 :happy093:
    Straights baby...'nuf said.

3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in! The plan for March will be a near repeat of my first rule with the 30DC. ATT S1 paired with an Astra SP blade, B&M soaps, and an Omega 10098 boar brush. I used my SOC boar last March but the Omega needs breaking in.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'll be back. After a full month of a Fatboy, I am going with a little more variety this month. Since several of my shaves a week are out of a Dopp kit, I will use a Starling V2 on these mornings:

3793AE11-1FEF-4306-9DC8-9ADBC08AEC6A.jpeg

I just got this razor (I know I am very week), so it should be lots of fun.

On mornings I shave at home, I will use this:

559EBFEA-99B2-46FF-A1B4-B3B77D6B026A.jpeg

Like I said, I am very week, and Charlie has been a master enabler with his great pictures. I will take an exception on the first Saturday, as I have to be in Houston at 6:00 AM, so getting up this early, I will likely use the Starling. I am looking forward to this month.

5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm in, of course! Going to focus on using up some soap samples or pucks throughout the month. Need to identify some to PIF or sell as well. I'll choose razors and brushes on a whim. Soap reduction is my main goal. Looking forward to it!

6. PLAla

Wonderful plan, Jim! Looking forward to your thoughts on the Parker shavette.

7. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Perry!

I am also looking forward to seeing your thoughts on some of the soaps, as I need to continue to whittle down my collection.

8. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm going to whittle down my soaps as well. Ah, who am I kidding. I'll whittle them down one shave at a time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9. Norcalnewb

That has been my plan as well, unfortunately buying more soaps results in a net gain.

10. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

You're prepared, Jim, and I admire that.

11. PLAla

It's amazing how long shave soaps last. And with so many incredible artisans and scents you feel like you're missing out if you don't grab something that's on sale or what's new and shiny. Then before you know you have enough soap to last the next decade. It's a tough situation!

I'm hoping to whittle down to about 15 soaps. That's my goal, at least, but getting there will require some sacrifice. ;)

12. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Pretty crazy to think about all the years I shaved with whatever bar of soap was at the sink to now being able to shave daily for two and a half months and not using the same soap twice, and I'm still reading and watching soap reviews.

13. brit

brit in a box

March is a New month..literally for me this time ..everything gillette NEW..new improved, new deluxe, new lc,sc,fb and rfb..with a new tech/hybrid shave for comparison..plus the usual array of soaps/croaps and creams for good measure..and the blade..spoilers.....:):happy036:

14. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

My new theme this month is vintage straight razors. I have 4 vintage straights and will be using only one for an entire week and then replace it with another vintage razor each week.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'm in with what will probably be my usual unfocused focus. I've got a few razors that I haven't gotten around to trying yet (like the Russian travel razor I won in the last raffle) or haven't touched in a while (like the Q-Shave Futur clone). I also have what may be an interesting Chinese razor coming some time this month.

16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

1.png

I will continue my shavette focus with my Parker SRX using what's left of my Rapira and Lord blades. Once the Soap Commander is abolished, I will knock off what remains of an open container of C.O. Bigelow. It will be a Menthol March of sorts. Aftershaves and colognes, shenanigans, and enabling methods will vary as opportunities present themselves.

I'll also share favorites from The Far Side to keep the mood light. We wouldn't want things to get too serious 'round here. Tremendous and beautiful things will happen all month long. Let's get started, shall we?

1.jpg

:signs097:

Paul76, Douglas Carey, Terry and 16 others like this.
  17. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

This month I will continue to work through EDRIO though I will take a week long detour with my new Blackland Blackbird (in brass) and hopefully I will Identify a few more soaps that I can move along to new homes.

18. wristwatchb

dude.gif dance.gif

Douglas Carey, NCoxSTL, RyX and 10 others like this.
  19. wristwatchb

1.jpg

20. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I'm in, of course! I'll start the month with a new razor, the Razorock Blackhawk V2. I'll give that at least a week I think and then move on to a few other razors I've designated to get a run during the month that haven't gotten enough time lately and just missed the 'favourites' list from last month- the NEW SC, a Red Tip TTO, and an E3.
    Soaps will be a bit of an Italian focus- I have a new tub of RR Irish Countryside to break in and an older tub of RR Mudder Focker as well. A puck of Valobra hasn't been used enough, and I can supplement these with a few SVs, Proraso and Palmolive Menthol cream also from Italia. I'll gladly break that focus for a bit when my PIF from @PLAla- the now unobtanium Strop Shoppe Baker Street arrives.
    As always, though, I am most looking forward to the interactions with the Crew and getting to meet new members who are just joining us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.