Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Tabac Thursday's Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Wash
    Tabac Shaving Soap
    Jayaruh #321
    Schick M-2 Adjustable
    Personna
    CWR
    Tabac AS

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Tabac Shave Soap face lathered well with the Jayaruh #321 brush. I did two passes with the Schick M-2 Adjustable razor with a Personna blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Tabac AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

jimjo1031, brit, madmedic and 10 others like this.
  2. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Thanks! Here's an album: https://imgur.com/a/jRHN29e

Thank you. I'm kind of a one-trick-pony when it comes to this setup. I've done a few Star Wars themes, but I'm most proud of these prior ones:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this one, while not particularly interesting, I had fun making a "reflection" of Darth Vader in the splash bottle. Can you see it?

[​IMG]

3. 120inna55

Moon Soaps | Old School
    Ever-Ready 100T | Elite Razor Manchurian
    The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 74
    Chatillon Lux | Unconditional Surrender

[​IMG]

In light of my recent positive experience with Moon Soaps' Amaretto shaving cream, I decided to give their flagship a go. "Old School" is marketed as having a "huge amount of tallow, like soap used to be." Perhaps there's a modicum of hyperbole in that statement, but I can neither affirm or disprove this has any more tallow than your average artisan tallow shaving soap. Old School's consistency is on the firmer end of the croap spectrum and it loads very easily with a well saturated---but not dripping---knot. Compared to the Amaretto cream, this is the better performer. A dense, slick lather is quickly and intuitively forthcoming yielding an oil-rich iridescent sheen. First-pass slickness is approaching high-end status, while residual slickness is competitive with the upper echelon. I was able to effortlessly employ long sweeping passes on my dome that I usually reserve for my top 5 or 6. Post-shave is easily in the crowded top ten, but it can't quite push anyone out of top 3. It's very close, however.

The scent off the tub is light and somewhat singular in nature with a faintly sweetened leather. However, once lathered, the scent strength is boosted to a 3 out of 5, and opens with a new leather and cured tobacco duet that's later accompanied and expanded by warm woody notes and gentle spicy vanilla. This well-blended fragrance remains clean throughout, and the sweetness is offered up naturally by way of the vanilla and tobacco. I found Old School to remind me of several non-descript "masculine" fragrances without approximating any of them. There's nothing audacious with respect to the array of notes in Old School, but the fragrance, while safe and even formulaic is quite pleasant and a good choice for a flagship offering.

Once again, the label art exhibits keen knowledge of graphic design and the execution is flawless. If I have anything negative to say about Old School's packaging it would be the glaring absence of a side label. I'm not certain if this is intentional or an oversight as Amaretto did have side labeling which rounds out the packaging nicely.

Old School cements my confidence in Moon Soaps as an artisan in this crowded market. They back up their attractive packaging with a very respectable product that steps out of work horse territory and into the luxury realm.

jimjo1031, brit, Ron R and 12 others like this.
  4. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Very cool, Matt! And yes, I see it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brit, clint64, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Superb photo and post, Matt! What three soaps are your top for post-shave feel?

6. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Thanks........beautiful!

brit, clint64, 120inna55 and 2 others like this.
  7. 120inna55

It's probably closer to 5: Phoenix Shaving's CK-6, Barrister and Mann's Excelsior, Declaration Grooming's Icarus, Ariana & Evans / The Club's Final V, Catie's Bubbles Luxury Cream, and Talbot Shaving's (I think he's calling it V2). Those are all a little too close to say one is better than the other (in terms of post-shave, anyway).

Thank you!

brit, clint64, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD February 28th
    [​IMG]

EDRIO #31 Ever-Ready 1914
    GEM SS PTFE
    Yaqi Moka Expess (26mm, Frigate Class)
    MWF
    Stirling Noir PSB

brit, Ron R, madmedic and 9 others like this.
  9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I agree with your assessment of the CK6 and A&E. I'll throw Wholly Kaw in the mix too. I don't have enough experience with the B&M Excelsior base to comment. You have given me a few new soaps to consider.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

brit, clint64, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  10. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Well, your one trick is a very cool trick. Vader's reflection is a nice detail! When I googled the soap, your 2nd picture came up.

brit, Hembree, clint64 and 3 others like this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

March 1, 2019
    Cobra Classic
    Feather Pro
    Simpson CH2 Synthetic
    Moon Old School
    Fine Fresh Vetiver

[​IMG]

jimjo1031, brit, madmedic and 10 others like this.
  12. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Razor: Above the Tie SE2
    Blade: Kai Captain Original
    Brush Handle: 30DC LE
    Knot: APShaveCo Cashmere
    Soap: Nuavia Verde
    Aftershave: Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest
    Cologne: Chatillon Lux La Forêt de Liguest EDT

Another nice shave tonight. I love this Nuavia soap, great scent and fantastic performance. The Chatillon Lux products are top shelf. While I enjoyed the shave I think I might shelve the ATT SE2 in favor of the General. I get better shaves from the General with less irritation. I'm not putting the SE2 in the sell pile yet, I'll come back to it at a later time. Have a great day folks!
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031, brit, Ron R and 12 others like this.
  13. PLAla

Wonderful photo and shave, Ben!

brit, clint64, ob1page and 2 others like this.
  14. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Fri 1st March.
    Jayaruh No 67
    MWF
    Alu.Hawk V1 & Windrose S/S Handle [ 10 ]
    Schick Proline [ 10 ]
    Myrsol Antesol A/S Lotion.

Today I was interested to see how the blade in the Hawk would perform on a 10th outing, as normally I do not go past 9. I have recently been seeing
    how long the Proline would last in various Razors before tailing off , and was expecting that blade longevity would be better in the S/S Razors. However,
    I got up to 11 with the Alu. General the other day.
    I really was not expecting too much today, but with an unbelievably creamy lather from the MWF, I had probably my best Shave of the week. Smooth Comfortable with a Face Stroking Finish. I really would like to get hold of a S/S Version of the Hawk.

IMG_0388.jpg

jimjo1031, clint64, Frijolero and 7 others like this.
  15. PLAla

SOTD March 1, 2019

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: vintage Personna twin
    Razor: Schick L1
    Brush: Omega 10049 boar
    Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat

Nice, smooth shave with the L1 and twin blade. Wonderful shave all around. Have a great day!

SOTD 3-1-19.jpg

jimjo1031, Ron R, madmedic and 10 others like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Friday's Shave

[​IMG]

Cold Water Wash
    Col. Conk Amber
    Jayaruh #321
    Schick M-2 Adjustable
    Personna
    CWR
    Barbasol Brisk AS

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Col. Conk Amber Shave Soap face lathered well with the Jayaruh #321 brush. I did two passes with the Schick M-2 Adjustable razor with a Personna blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Barbasol Brisk AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    jimjo1031, Ron R, chevyguy and 11 others like this.
  17. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

IMG_1780.JPG
    Did a repeat of yesterday's shave. Tomorrow I'll use my OneBlade Genesis V2. Got a little too frisky with the Paradigm SE and got some weepers/irritation on my neck area and around my lower lip area. Have to be more focused on my technique and not be in such a rush! The Badger knot from TGN is their "Finest" not their Premium as mentioned in the text box. I have A Premium Silvertip Badger knot from TGN in one of my other brushes and got things mixed up a bit.

jimjo1031, Ron R, chevyguy and 11 others like this.
  18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

03/01/2019

Parker CHST – Chrome Handle Silver Tip
    Salsa Bowl / Timeless bowl scuttle
    Murphy & McNeil – Crann Bethadh
    CVS SE Blade
    Gem – MMOC
    Nivea Post Balm
    Pinuad Clubman Classic

Just a quick Friday morning before work shave. The MMOC and Murphy & McNeil performed great. Nice shave with no weepers or nicks. First time using the Parker CHST.

Finish up with a little Nivea and Clubman.

Y'all take care and have a great weekend!

[​IMG]

jimjo1031, Ron R, madmedic and 10 others like this.
  19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD March 1
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    EDRIO # 32 Gem Micro-Matic OC
    Gem SS PTFE (8)
    Hardright Anchorset (24mm, Frigate Class)
    Van Yulay Smoking Hot Pineapple soap and AS
    Stirling Glacial Unscented PSB

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

jimjo1031, Ron R, madmedic and 12 others like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

March 2, 2019
    O.R.E.N
    Feather Pro
    Wild West Brushworks with 30mm Tuxedo
    Mystic Water Vetiver & Oakmoss
    Fine Fresh Vetiver

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.