Fatip Piccolo review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by matthewoli98, Feb 25, 2019.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Looks like you are missing a Clog Pruf. You need one of those to complete the set of micromatics.

Hembree likes this.
  2. DiggaDog

DiggaDog Active Member

The version 2 cap is 1mm wider (18mm compared to 19mm), and yes...the version 2 base has a logo stamped in to it.
    Now, stop mucking about and buy a Fatip Special Edition set.
    You get the Picollo OC base and the Gentile base, 1 handle (black 'chrome') and 1 cap (black 'chrome').
    What more could you ask for?
    Very sweet razors and smooth, close shave. I hear that the earlier version (Mk1) was a tad ragged, but the Special Edition set is all version 2.
    I have played with my Fatip Picollo, because I have a selection of other razors and bits and pieces.
    Any top cap from any DE razor will fit as long as it has the 2 pins on the cap that go down into the baseplate (Gillette 'OLD' cap for example). Then you can fit other handles to your hearts content. I'm using an Ikon Shavecraft 101 top cap and Tuckaway handle on my Picollo at the moment, and this then gave me a 'spare' handle/cap to fit onto the Gentile baseplate that also comes with the Special Edition set. Two razors for the price of one.
    Here I have the Picollo with original cap/handle and Gentile baseplate with Ikon handle and Muhle R89 cap.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    RyX, Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

True.

4. matthewoli98

matthewoli98 Well-Known Member

Nice razors!

Sent from my Redmi S2 using Tapatalk

DiggaDog likes this.
  5. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I don’t know know about that!

There’s someone on Master Shave also younger than 30!

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good tip!

Fatip does use an odd thread pattern, but swapping in a cap from another alleviates that issue. I found the cap and handle from my Muhle R89 Grande fit well and somewhat reduced the aggressiveness as compared to the stock Piccolo handle & cap. Now I'm back to using it as purchased. I like the heft of the solid Piccolo handle.

Frijolero and GatorJoe like this.
  7. matthewoli98

The heft is the reason i prefer the piccolo over the grande. But the actual head is identical.

Frijolero and RyX like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yes! When I was shopping for mine in the slightly used market a Piccolo was the first to hit my price range though I thought I wanted the longer Grande handle. Turns out the shorter Piccolo is heavier being solid brass. Works for me.

Frijolero, GatorJoe, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  9. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I've tried the Retro, Piccolo, Grande, and Wood handles ... Wood is a winner for me.

Besides, that handle makes it look like a poor man's Joris :rofl:

10. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

The Fatip Piccolo razor is a keeper for me. It’s an efficient razor that provides a comfortable close shave that can be used daily.

11. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

Always gotten great shaves from my piccolo. QC was not an issue with mine though I’ve read a lot of complaints about them for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. matthewoli98

One thing they all have in common is that theyre all great!

Frijolero likes this.
  13. matthewoli98

You're absolutely right there! Its great value for money too.

GatorJoe and Frijolero like this.
  14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Don't agree; the Retro is too thin to be comfortable, and the Grande is too light for its length.

Frijolero likes this.
  15. matthewoli98

Its a great razor, might even invest in one of every model that fatip makes, but i have a feeling the piccolo will be my favourite.

Frijolero likes this.
  16. matthewoli98

YMMV, some people love those razors, i prefer the piccolo, but that's my personal preference, doesnt mean the others are any less good for anyone else.

Frijolero likes this.
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

In that sense, everything is YMMV ;)

With the Retro they just went with looks over comfort, in my opinion. And given how many people try to add weight to the Grande handles, one could argue that these make the razor unbalanced as well.

OTOH, the Piccolo and wooden handles are well thought out. Wood is my personal favourite.

18. matthewoli98

The razor ive used the most is a 1948 aristocrat. I think part of the reason I love the piccolo so much is because it has a very similar size and weight, so when i use the Piccolo its almost like using an agressive 3 piece aristocrat, so i got the hang of using it immediately.

Frijolero, RyX and Yehuda D like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Use this information at your own risk.

The instruction for a 1937 Sheraton TTO suggest it's possible to increase the aggression. This gives some of the "adjustability" of later Toggle, Fat Boy, Slim, and Black Beauties.
    1937 Sheraton instruction.jpg
    Details of the bottom left corner say tighten it down, then release some of the tension. Not too much as the blade won't be firmly held.
    1937 Sheraton detail adjustment.gif

Frijolero likes this.
  20. matthewoli98

would this apply to an aristocrat too?

RyX and Frijolero like this.