shea butter for eczema

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by peacefrog, Feb 4, 2007.

1. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I seem to have a touch of eczema in a couple of spots on either side of my nose. My wife read about using shea butter to treat eczema. I immediately wondered if any of my fellow wetshavers might have some suggestions of products along these lines. Anyone?

2. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I have heard it is excellent for eczema. I don't have it, but My skin tends to get very dry in the winter, and I have and use the Epicurean Shea Butter (unscented-African). This is pure shea butter with no additives, so you have to melt it from semi-sold to oil in your hand when using. Whole Foods does carry this....in my area at least.

[​IMG]

I mix my own ASB using this mixed with some various EFA's (i.e. Grapeseed Oil)

http://www.sheabutterstore.com/

Some reading materials:

Shea Butter Uses
    Shea Butter is a natural healing product. It is used by most of the cosmetics laboratories in Europe and the United States. It is revered as an extremely effective skin moisturizer because of its high content of non-saponifiable fats including keratin, allantoin and vitamin E.
    Shea Butter is used for aging skin, eczema and other skin complaints; to relax the muscles and to treat sprains, wounds, and colds. Traditional uses of Shea Butter include: treatments for dry skin, blemishes, skin discoloration, scars and wrinkles, a relaxer for stiff muscles, as an aid for pain from swelling and arthritis, and even as a sun screen.

Shea Butter is great for the skin because of its high content of non-saponifiable fatty acids (comprised mostly of stearic and oleic acids.) These fatty acids are indispensable for moisturizing and retaining the elasticity of the skin. By making up for lipid deficiencies in the epidermal cells, Shea Butter provides the skin with all the essential elements it needs for its good balance. Shea butter contains up to 11% of un-saponifiables, making it a superior super-fatting material for soap making. Smooth on face, hands, and body, the gentle qualities of Shea Butter are used by the cosmetics and soap industries in such products as shampoos, creams, balsam for the hair, soaps and other cleansing products for the skin.

Shea Butter is used in shampoos and lotions because of its outstanding rapport with the body. It is superior to both cocoa butter and jojoba butter in the treatment of damaged hair. It is an outstanding skin-soothing agent for makers of soap, particularly when blended with lather-generating coconut oil. It is also great for stand alones uses. Clinical observations suggest Shea Butter increases local capillary circulation, which in turn increase tissue re-oxygenation and improves the elimination of metabolic waste products.

3. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm New Member

Be aware that folks with latex allergies often will have an allergic reaction to shea butter.

Pure Neem Oil or Neem Powder is an alternative, although it has a very rank smell!

4. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Excellent point - I have heard that as well.

Question - I have read some rather odd things about neem oil...is there any health concern in using that?

5. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

My wife went to While Foods yesterday and couldn't find that one, but she did find another pure shea butter. It seems to help.

6. MullersLaneFarm

Not that I have heard (neem oil)

You do want to get 100% neem oil and not the stuff they sell in the garden or livestock supply!

This is what my supplier has to say about it:

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Thank you very much Cyndi,....how "stable" would you say neem oil is, in terms of shelf life/souring

8. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

Are you using homemade soaps or commercial ones? If you are using commercial soaps and made the switch to the homemade soaps, this could help quite a bit.. there are many ingredients in the commercial soaps, synthetic detergents such as SLS, that can aggravate and even cause eczema.

9. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

I'm using Coast. I bought about a year's supply a while back. I've got about two bars left, then I think I'll switch to something else...maybe HBS's shea butter bath soaps or that cut-your-own goat's milk soap at Whole Foods.

10. Mama Bear

Mama Bear New Member

ah, I would strongly suggest you give the cut your own a shot.. go and grab some tonight if you can..... :chores026

11. MullersLaneFarm

I believe the shelf life of neem to be about 1 year. I keep mine refrigerated but it never lasts a year!

I'm down to 2 bars of my Neem/Castille - need to make another 10# sometime real soon

12. qaswer

qaswer New Member

I have read about this allergy already and i think someone should use it with extra care but if someone hasn't any allergies then it is good for eczema but it is not a proper treatment .

13. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

I have the same issue not by my nose but other areas. The doctor gave me some kind of cream to put on it, which helps. but I find that the natural organic products do a better job. Last stuff I used was from Eminence organics called Fire Thorn treatment. really hydrating stuff.

Also on Mama Bear's website, one of the things listed under Lavender EO is that it helps with exzema.

not responsible for eny spelingk arrers.

14. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

Asthma, excema(sp), and allergies all seem to go together...the big three.

When I take my allergy medicine, which is only in the summer around here my excema is not near as bad. Of course it could be complicated by drier skin in the wintertime.

15. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

I do get eczema from time to time, but the only thing that works for me is a steroid based cream or ointment from my GP, I have tried shea butter and other stuff from chemist's but only the strong stuff will work for me,
    My eczema is only on my hands and sometimes on my arm.