Brushmakers Thread - Calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

There seems to be quite a few TSDers making their own brushes now. Most seem to be turners using a lathe to make their handles, but others have carved or shaped their unique creations as well. I’ve been thinking of starting a thread to discuss different styles, techniques, tools, finishes, etc. Basically, I think a sharing of ideas around making brushes and other shaving related turnings and carvings can be really interesting and worthwhile. Not for accolades, per se, but so that we can learn from each other.

Here are a number of my own brushes that I have kept:
    7B639698-C162-46CC-AE06-9A1D4B9F086F.jpeg
    I’ve experimented with different shapes, but often have a lot of similarities in what I’ve made. I often use paint for effect, and have recently started to experiment with texture, as with the Chubby handle near the right edge above. I have also mixed materials a bit, with some brass ferrules (above) and resin/wood mixes (not shown).
    I also made the 30DC LE brushes that are posted on the forum pretty regularly. Mine is above, and I took a family shot of some a few years ago:
    140BD8CB-9B22-401A-A2F3-6FE107EF3E41.jpeg

As far as techniques- after rounding the stock, I use a four-jawed chuck to secure it below the bottom of the handle. I shape the brush the way I want it, and then I hollow out the hole. I used to use lathe tools to hollow the hole to custom specs, but now I use a sawtooth bit in a Jacobs chuck in the tailstock to make the hole more precisely, if not as uniquely.
    The handle is then parted off, and I turn it around and load it in an expanding Collett Chuck and hold it in the 4 jawed chuck and finish the bottom nicely. I used to use a homemade jam chuck, but these Collett Chucks are my new toys.

Here is the 4 jawed chuck with a piece of Poculi just after the handle had been parted off:
    1E042020-7870-466D-BB59-96C831EC8B3B.jpeg

Here is the Jacobs Chuck with a 1 1/8” bit. A 28mm knot fits this well. I also have a 1” bit for 24mm knots. Any other size, I still hollow it out with tools. As well, here is one of my expanding Collett Chucks and you can see how it would fit into the hole. There is a hex key on the end that allows you to tighten it:
    6FE9CF62-5022-4281-8301-0F1399F72AC8.jpeg

So turners- what do you do?

Use a jawed chuck? Use a screw chuck? Other techniques?

How do you finish your bottoms? On the lathe or off?

Hold the handle with a jam chuck? Collett Chuck?

Any particular tools become favourites? Skews? Scrapers? Gouges?

Anyone drill the holes on a drill press after you have shaped the handle? Before?

Those of you who pour resins, any pics or techniques you’d share?

Anyone turn handles ‘back to back’ two at a time?

Any other materials besides wood or resin you have experimented with?

You don’t have to give up your trade secrets, but I think there are folks who will find what you do interesting!

I’ll write another post with shaving and lather bowls in a bit.

Lets see what you’ve got!!!

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Really nice work, Jason.

GAW9576, jgreenepa, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent idea Jason. Nice job on the pictures.

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

This will be fun to follow!

5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I’ll be watching too

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Great idea for a thread, Jason! We have a lot of talented folks here, and I look forward to seeing all the beautiful work!

brit, jtspartan and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Jason, I really like your work. I have been inspired by many of your pieces.

So turners- what do you do?
    The best I can. I still have all my fingers and both eyes.

Use a jawed chuck? Use a screw chuck? Other techniques?
    Oh, I wish I had a jawed chuck sometimes. I just use a spur center and a live center for the tailstock.

How do you finish your bottoms? On the lathe or off?
    I finish the bottoms off the lathe. I tend to try to dish them a bit so they sit nice and solid.

Hold the handle with a jam chuck? Collett Chuck?
    Nope. Don't have any.

Any particular tools become favourites? Skews? Scrapers? Gouges?
    I just use whatever works best at the time.

Anyone drill the holes on a drill press after you have shaped the handle? Before?
    That's me. I drill a pilot hole and then follow up with a Forstner bit.

Those of you who pour resins, any pics or techniques you’d share?
    No. I do not.

Anyone turn handles ‘back to back’ two at a time?
    This I do from time to time. I even did four at a time once (see below).
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Any other materials besides wood or resin you have experimented with?
    I have only done two resin/wood hybrid brushes. You can see that I turned them together above. I also did some laminated wood.

You don’t have to give up your trade secrets, but I think there are folks who will find what you do interesting!
    [​IMG]

I’ll write another post with shaving and lather bowls in a bit.
    I would like to do a bowl one day, but I think it would work out better if I had a jawed chuck.

Lets see what you’ve got!!!
    That's all I got. If you have followed me on my blog, I have pretty much laid it all out for everyone to see.

8. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

Great thread! Very interesting!

9. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Although a chuck is not a cheap investment, it makes life so much easier on a lathe. Barracuda chucks have a great reputation. I purchased a Nova G3 as it was a bit less expensive and like it so much that I intend to purchase another one in the future so I can use Cole Jaws without swapping jaws on a single chuck (I turn bowls usually, when life isn't so busy). I would avoid the economy chucks, that use two metal keys (if that is what you call them), as I have found that they can loosen while turning - makes for a bad day. Plus, the other two vendors I mentioned can be tightened with one hand, making it a lot easier to use.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

PatrickA51, brit, 9nein9 and 9 others like this.
  10. jtspartan

Awesome, Jim! Thanks for posting. Your handles have been an inspiration for many. I love your Celtic inspired laminates, they are tremendously skilled work.

In response to your point about making bowls- Yes a Chuck is handy to have, but you can more than get by with a faceplate. You have to glue a piece of waste stock on the blank and then cut it off afterwards and finish the bottom off the lathe.
    @9nein9 posted a pic of a few brushes done ‘end to end’ like yours. I would imagine he is also drilling the holes off the lathe as well.
    As far as buying chucks goes, the expanding Collett Chucks I showed earlier are very inexpensive (I think I paid $24 for two) and do a great job of holding the handle from the hole. Even drilling off the lathe, you could them remount and finish the bottoms as you wish.
    Sounds like I need to check out your blog!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  11. jtspartan

Great points about Chucks. Mine does have the two metal ‘keys’ (it is also 20 years old!) but doesn’t ever loosen. I got it at Lee Valley, but don’t remember the brand. I’ll look it up.

PatrickA51, brit, 9nein9 and 4 others like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Frodo Keep your secrets.gif

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Magic" - Arthur C.Clarke ;)

PatrickA51, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

15. wristwatchb

GAW9576, brit, TestDepth and 4 others like this.
  16. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Beautiful work!

GAW9576, brit, TestDepth and 3 others like this.
  17. wristwatchb

@Jayaruh is a Master Craftsman and a gentleman as well!

GAW9576, brit, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  18. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It's nice to learn that my last name has a meaning in the shaving industry!!!! :). (Turner)

GAW9576, "Knothead" Tim, brit and 9 others like this.
  19. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

GAW9576, brit, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  20. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Reminds me of a song: Turner Round, Look at Me...

GAW9576, Jim99, brit and 4 others like this.