What is your favorite travel Shaving Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by SpeedyPC, Jan 31, 2016.

1. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Great! Enjoy it! :eatdrink047:

2. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

:signs011: . Or my WD22mm. I'm usually not travelling for so many consecutive hours that it will be a problem leaving it somewhat wet in my dopp kit anyway, cf natural vs synthetic.

Enjoy your trip, @SpeedyPC !

3. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

Well I'm in a testing phase at the moment...

I have used with fantastic results a cheap omega synthetic. I can't recall the model number but I believe it was 24mm.

Anyone that knows me knows that I prefer a more chubby style handle and larger knots.

So I started searching for brushes that met my criteria. Without having to have a custom handle turned.

So I ended up with 3 brushes to try.

I asked Larry at Whipped Dog to make me a 30mm synthetic. I didn't give him any specifics but to make what he considers the perfect loft. He drilled an extra 3-4mm and it traveled with me on my last trip and did incredible.

I also have a Simpsons Chubby 2 synthetic and a Bufflehead Buddha brush to put thru the traveling paces.

Now I don't use synthetics while home so testing will take some time.

I will say that the WD was a fantastic brush while traveling last.

Robyflexx likes this.
  4. SolingerStahl

SolingerStahl Well-Known Member

Hi, can you please show pictures of your 1940s Travel King boar brush...
    I recently acquired one bakelite TRAVEL KING folding brush "Made in Germany Brit.Zone" D.R.P. + D.R.G.M. registerred, so it should have been manufactured in the 1920-30s ...
    Thanks - Rainer

TRAVEL KING MiG Brit.Zone Klapp-Rasierpinsel Borste ebay €28,88 oPv bublik0_4 c.jpg TRAVEL KING MiG Brit.Zone Klapp-Rasierpinsel Borste ebay €28,88 oPv bublik0_4 e.jpg TRAVEL KING MiG Brit.Zone Klapp-Rasierpinsel Borste ebay €28,88 oPv bublik0_4 d.jpg

5. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I generally take an Omega 11047. Nice size. Nice knot. Usually with a soft soap.

omega11047_grande.jpg

6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Mine is almost the same. Only mine has an off-white ball that holds the knot where yours is black:

Travel King.jpg

The reason why I think it was made in the late '40s is that after WWII West-Germany was subdivided into three zones: an American zone, a French zone and a British zone. In 1949 these three zones were joined to form West-Germany. The occupation in the three zones existed until 1955, so even a date until 1955 is possible. But because as of 1949 the formal name of West Germany was "Federal Republic of Germany " or "Bundesrepublik Deutschland" , my guess is that the brush was made somewhere between 1945 and 1949. From then onwards my guess is that they would have written "made in West-Germany". But who am I to tell?

BTW, I have seen one other Travel King with a black ball and an off-white casing on another shaving site (but I don't recall which website - or forum - it was). I guess they are pretty rare these days.

Congratz on your acquisition!

brit, Frijolero, BigD and 1 other person like this.
  7. SolingerStahl

SolingerStahl Well-Known Member

The same scenario happened in Germany after WW1, we had a british military occupied BRITISH ZONE in the Rhineland from 1918 until 1930 (planned until 1934 but ended earlier).
    Inside the shell shows "D.R.P. u. Ausl.Pat. a. - D.R.G.M. "
    The translation means "German Reichs Patent and Foreign Countries Patents preregistered - German Reich UsageSample Protected" and was used until 1945 only, so the brush must have been produced before 1945.
    This all concludes to a production time between 1918 and 1930.

TRAVEL KING MiG Brit.Zone Klapp-Rasierpinsel Borste ebay €28,88 oPv bublik0_4 c1.jpg

If you ever find again the other black & white TRAVEL KING, please show me a link or picture.

Thanks - Rainer

Frijolero and macaronus like this.
  8. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I’ve been traveling with a Portland Razor Company synthetic and love it. [​IMG]

9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Aha. I wasn't aware of that. Thank you for the information!

As for the other brush: it has been some years since I saw it, but if I see it again, I'll give you a heads-up!

Frijolero likes this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

cool brush..

mrchick likes this.
  11. Artlogon

Artlogon Well-Known Member

Same here.

It is rather small compared to some other Synthetic knots, so that always comes in mind when travelling and not bringing the whole shave den on the road.

Pros, compact, Synthetic, dry time,
    Cons, rather stiff/backbone

Enviado desde mi moto g(6) plus mediante Tapatalk

brit, Frijolero and macaronus like this.