Parker variant adjustable vs vintage Gillette adjustable

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Swampfox, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Which one is better? I’m thinking of buying a adjustable just wanting to get opinions also pros and cons of these two.

Edison Carter likes this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Both are great razors.

I’ve got a Parker Variant, a FatBoy, a Slim, and both short and long handled Black Beauty’s.

Each has it’s pros and cons and the more people you ask, the more opinions you’ll get.
    Plus there’s other modern and vintage adjustables besides Parker and Gillette.

I really like the Parker and the Slim.
    I’ve picked up Slim’s as cheap as $4 in an antique shop so if you keep your eyes open you can easily afford one of each.

Other folks swear by the FatBoy but those are harder to find cheap although I did find a couple in excellent condition for $10 each.

A lot of guys like the Black Beauty’s and I like mine but they’re not as aggressive as the Slim or the FatBoy.

3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'd go for the Slim first. Like John said above, you can get them at good prices. I have all of the Gillette types above, but the Slim was my first one and I think it's a good starter adjustable razor.

4. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I can't tell you which one is better. But I prefer the Variant because of its size, weight and balance. You'll get terrific shaves with either.

5. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Well WCS accidentally sent a Veriant in order of blades but just due to my nature I called them, and they asked me to send it back if I would.

Edison Carter and RyX like this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I think that's a sign that you're supposed to own one.
    Just give them your credit card and put a blade in your new razor.

Herm2502, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  7. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Lol I think I would but I’m going to get a slim if not for any reason they are made is the USA.
    Anyone have a Slim for sale? also what price would be good for a slim in good shape $35?

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  8. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

For $35 you should be able to find one in excellent shape and with its original case (and possibly blade pack and instruction booklet) on the usual auction sites.

That's what I'd be looking for.

Slims were produced from 1961-1968 and - unlike Fat Boys - Gillette didn't really change the design much over those years. If you'd like to learn more about them look here... http://www.gilletteadjustable.com/slim.html

9. Swampfox

Swampfox Active Member

Auction sites you referring to EBay?

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

You can get a user grade one without any plating loss that works like new for $20 shipped or less if you find the right auction. You could also put a WTB post over in the classified section of the forum and see if anyone offers one up for sale.

As far as that Parker goes I'd take a few shaves on it before deciding to return it or give them your CC # and buy it outright.

11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Then you got a Black Beauty that isn't in good working order then or was underclocked.

http://www.gilletteadjustable.com/date-codes.html

Check the gap table when you scroll down a bit. He is missing the Super 84 though. I found all the Super 109s to be the same regardless of later model or earlier or gold version. If someone wanted a Super 109 just pick one of the 3 and you are done. The Super 84 is a completely different creature from the Super 109 also.

John Beeman likes this.
  12. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I've got a Gillete Fatboy, but I want at least one more adjustable razor in my collection. It's a toss-up among the Parker Variant, the Merkur Progress or a Mergress, and the Weishi Nostalgic Adjustable. I've heard pros and cons for all three of them, and I suppose if ever I were to alter this short list of options, I could easily look for a Gillette Slim to replace the Weishi.

Frijolero likes this.
  13. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've got a Fatty, a Slim, 2 BB's, a Variant and a Merkur Progress. As much as I like my vintage razors I find the Variant and the Progress smoother and more efficient. Both the Variant and Progress have nearly identical heads.

Herm

Michael_W and Edison Carter like this.
  14. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Interesting. After checking the site linked to above:

http://www.gilletteadjustable.com/fatboy.html

I took a look at the Fatboy that was sold to me and although the base plate says F4 and the razor lacks a collar, the dual service notches remain on the bottom cap.

Herm2502 likes this.
  15. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

I first started out with a Gillette Slim and shaved with it for many years, later the BB, now have my fathers Fatboy that my brother and I gave him. The Gillettes are fantastic razors and are my choice over the Parker, the Gillettes are what I'm used to, Last year I bought the Parker Variant and felt it was a great razor, Got great shaves at 3.5 the pros are a great grip, balance, head trajectory, blade exposure, easy clean. Cons are a bit too heavy for me and harder to change blade. Either the Parker or Gillette would be a good choice.

Frijolero and Michael_W like this.
  16. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Anomalies like this are not uncommon at all with Gillette razors as parts weren't used in exact chronological order and nothing went to waste. But contact Glenn Conti (the owner of that website and a member here) as he might be interested.

Michael_W likes this.