The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Interesting scales, too. What are they of?

Karl G likes this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If you are referring to the Bancroft, it's a plastic type of material. Quite common in older razors.

Karl G, Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

This was rescued from the flea market last weekend. A C.V. Heljestrand In ivory. It is in great shape but has no model number. If it was etched on the blade, it is long gone. The blade is 6/8 and in close to shave ready. Nice addition to my Swedish collection

649136F6-4A32-4035-97E9-471C6B09C098.jpeg 3A274510-BEB3-46DE-87B7-8112EBB85E85.jpeg 71622D13-DD8B-4936-A229-A0C5384552EE.jpeg

4. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

Nice score!:happy093:

Steve56, Timwcic, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  5. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Thank you sir

TestDepth, Billyfergie and Karl G like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'll have a few new (vintage) razors coming up soon on the shave of the day.

8. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I just found this waiting in me when I came home this afternoon .

Dorko NOS 7/8th it is in pristine condition with certificate. I am going to give a touch up and try it later this weekend. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

brit, Timwcic, Steve56 and 9 others like this.
  9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Went back to the Antique mall yesterday and the 7 day set was gone...my wallet was grateful.

10. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

What a great find - beautiful! Congratulations.

11. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Thank you, I have been looking for one for a long time that wasn't from India or Pakistan. Such a good deal I bought a second one!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Karl G, AGHisBBS, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Wasn't meant to be.

Karl G, AGHisBBS, Billyfergie and 4 others like this.
  13. TestDepth

No way :)
    Just means you can focus on the razors with the beautiful scales!!!!
    We’re just here to help Joseph. :sad027:

Briscoe, Karl G, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Just found it waiting for you??? Nice, I wish a NOS Dorko would just appear at my door. Very nice!

Karl G, AGHisBBS, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :)

16. TestDepth

I have an affinity for Herders, so I couldn’t resist. This 11/16” razor was advertised as being taken from a salesman board.
    It has some worn red numbers on the face and what looks like some tarnish/wear from where it would have been tied or attached to the board around the tang and scales.
    Whether it was or not, it looks to have never touched a hone and the MOP tang just pops.
    I think this ended when the NFC championship game went into OT... so I feel lucky to have snagged it.
    5B754E09-03DA-4EA0-B2FF-05D3AA8DDAA0.jpeg
    Happy hunting.
    Tom

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, brit and 6 others like this.
  17. DaltonGang

W.Greaves & Son.
    Full Hollow
    7/8th inch

This, and the next razor, came together. The scales are really bug eaten, but the blade is stunning, it just needs a little TLC. I will be making scales for this, possibly an exact copy, with Horn.

P3070829.JPG

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, Briscoe and 5 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

Frederick Reynolds
    Sheffield
    6/8th

Has a little wear, on the blade, but there is a lot left, to work with. The scales are in pretty good shape too.

P3070830.JPG

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, brit and 5 others like this.
  19. TestDepth

Very nice set of razors Scott. That Greaves is special.

Edison Carter, DaltonGang and Karl G like this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

ABFAE358-A972-4C13-9FF1-7327F68A391A.jpeg EF8AC2A3-83FB-41C6-B9F6-17AACBCF7618.jpeg

I’ve been AWOL in this thread mostly because I haven’t acquired anything much razor-wise recently. But a Sheffield ‘Manhattan’ arrived a couple of days ago, an original razor with some rust removal marks on the blade (I really wish they wouldn’t do that) and dyed horn scales, which are sound. I slathered neatsfoot oil on the scales and they soaked it up, and just used a little metal polish by hand on the steel. I’ll have to decide if I want to pursue a more professional restoration by someone with more tools and skills than I have. It’s a near wedge with very little wear on the blade.

But the deal maker was the box - it’s original (also marked Manhattan) and will hold two 7/8 razors and is in good condition considering it’s probably 140 years old or so. These double boxes are really nice when you travel, they’re not much larger than a single toothbrush case, but the larger ones can hold two 6/8-7/8 razors. This saves quite a bit of space in the shave bag. Some toothbrush cases (like the one pictured) will hold both those Fillys, but with nothing in between to keep the scales from rubbing. Most toothbrush holders won’t hold 2 razors.

FYI, Manhattan was an import company founded by Boker, and were in business from 1868-1906. Now let’s hone that puppy!

Cheers, Steve

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, Briscoe and 5 others like this.