Top Shavers

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Aaron Harker, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Aaron Harker

Aaron Harker Well-Known Member

What are your absolute favorite razors? Criteria is based on performance, not aesthetics. Let’s see some pics!

IMG_20190307_172504-01.jpeg

5) Blue Tip SS
    4) English Flaretip SS (TV and standard)
    3) Gillette Slim
    2) Unnotched 40’s SS/ Ranger Tech
    1) Gibbs Adjustable/Blackland Blackbird SB

The Gibbs and Blackbird are easily my favorite, they're so efficient. The Blackbird is aggressive, while the Gibbs feels mild but it's every bit as efficient as the Blackbird. They're the only razors of mine that can cut a swathe through a week's growth in one pass.

brit, RyX, Hammer8 and 7 others like this.
  2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Muhle R41 (2011 version) an absolute whisker squeegee. My daily driver for years. One pass is good enough for a DFS in the board room, two passes and a touch up equal BBS for me.

brit, RyX, johnnyflake and 3 others like this.
  3. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

I have three razors and love them all. The Paradigm SE Titanium, the Rex adjustable, and the OneBlade Genesis V2. The Oneblade provides the best all round performance without any weepers or nicks but is just a tick less close than the next two, the Rex is so smooth and gives the closest shaves due to it's adjustability, but the Paradigm is right there on closeness and it's such a joy to shave with this razor that I grab for it most often . The drawback is that I have to be extra careful or there will be blood letting with it.

brit, RyX, johnnyflake and 3 others like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I assume you are including all safety razors.

2011 Mühle R41

Cobra Classic
    Joris

I have tried a lot both modern and vintage and now I could be happy with just this 3...... plus all my straights.

brit, RyX, johnnyflake and 2 others like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My favorites are vintage. As far as two sided thingies the OLD types rule. With SE the lather catchers are top of the pile. With injectors the H2 then E2. The H1 might be in between those two.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    RyX, Keithmax, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  6. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

SE, lather Catcher for sure, along with the Featherweight. This one is just fun to hear the feedback and is super efficient.
    The FW head makes it super easy to maneuver. I rank the MMOC, Clogproof, and Bullet Tip all one step below the lather catcher.
    In regards to the DE, the Slim Adjustable,the long handle Black beauty are both equal
    Fatboy somewhere 1 notch below them.
    Then to round out the DE, No date code Gillette ball end tech, Merkur 37c (slant) Parker 37, SUPER HEAVY and has lots of space between the teeth on the open comb.

brit, RyX, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  7. well-groomed

well-groomed Member

Vintage Gillette adjustables are my fave.

8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I would have to say the Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf or a Gillette New Improved.

Once learned, either will give a long lasting comfortable shave.

9. brit

brit in a box

british gillette news, techs ,rockets and crats..u.s gillette news,superspeeds and crats, canadian prewar tech..

RyX, Keithmax, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  10. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Right now, I am only using 4 razors, which are my absolute favorites! In order of preference:

Schick Injector E2
    Schick Injector G4
    Schick Injector L1
    Merkur 25C an Open Comb

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

3 Schicks. Good man. Is your E2 a early model that opens to clean?

brit, RyX, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  12. johnnyflake

Yes it is. The spring slides to the left, but I am sure you know that. It seems that you may be a Schick kind of guy, as well. I am surprised, unless I have missed it, that there is no Schick SB Injector only thread!

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

When shimmed, the Gillette Senator can do everything for me that the New Deluxe does but is even nicer to look at, so...Senator.

And the Deluxe.

Primotenore, RyX, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

E2, best injector ever!

brit, RyX, Troy M and 1 other person like this.
  15. johnnyflake

I agree 110% and if you have not experienced a G4, you should. If you love the E2, you will love the G4. They are very close, with the shave they provide.

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  16. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

brit likes this.
  17. johnnyflake

brit and CrustyCat like this.
  18. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

It say's Eversharp Schick on it and has two patent numbers.

brit and johnnyflake like this.
  19. johnnyflake

Then I am pretty sure that it is a G1. They are great shavers, IMHO, mildly aggressive. If you have not tried it, you really should, Shaving with an SE Razor is much different, than with a DE Razor. The SE Razors are designed for use, on only one side and feel much different in your hand.

CrustyCat and brit like this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There is a SE and Injector thread that covers it.

RyX, CrustyCat, brit and 1 other person like this.