The almost sort of Comprehensive Guide to the Gillette Tech

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Aug 9, 2018.

1. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ebonizing typically involves wood, here more likely a process resembling what is more often called "black chrome". No idea which of those processes Gillette used.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

looks almost like guncote..

Frijolero likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I think as is, might be tricky getting new material to match..and it looks cool enough as is I think.

4. brit

brit in a box

cool ,awesome score..

Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Here's the blades/shaving cream World Series special.[​IMG]

6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Tomorrow gonna party like it's 1941 .

Frijolero and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

you bet ,my late 40s nos british tech travel set is at the post office..40s shave tomorrow...

Frijolero and jmudrick like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

verry cool..

9. brit

brit in a box

tomorrows shave.british 1940s travel set complete with nos flat bottom tech. s-l1600 (2).jpg if the soap and brush are still good..maybe a gsb as well..

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    MacDaDad, gorgo2, Jorvaljr and 2 others like this.
  10. PastorAndy914

PastorAndy914 Well-Known Member

15B2B82A-558F-4D26-A7EE-5363962E4D58.jpeg I recently purchased this razor of The Bay and have gotten enjoyable shaves from it. I’m curious if anyone might be able to help me narrow down the model? Also curious if the color on this razor is original or if someone has had it redone?

(Pics are from listing)

brit and Frijolero like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Plating removed and polished that's all :) .

brit, Frijolero and PastorAndy914 like this.
  12. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Pre-war fat handle Tech stripped of all plating. Probably gold originally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brit and PastorAndy914 like this.
  13. PastorAndy914

PastorAndy914 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much

brit likes this.
  14. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Fat handle tech, post war, that's the base metal, it's brass.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

brit, Frijolero and PastorAndy914 like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is one I've never seen before until now. A hybrid US New/Tech.
    hybrid_tech1.jpg hybrid_tech2.jpg

brit and John Ruschmeyer like this.
  16. John Ruschmeyer

Wow! New LC-based? Yours?

It reminds me of some photos I have seen of a Brasilian Goodwill with a safety bar.

I'm guessing that this is something of a "missing link" in Tech evolution, but one that actually makes sense.

For the rest of this post, I place upon my head the Hat Of Tin Foil...

Going back to the early 1930s, Gaisman is firmly in charge of Gillette and the Goodwill razor is emptying the warehouses of excess razor parts. If we assume that the Gillette of that time is anything like the modern company, then the Goodwill is also setting the stage for the "next big thing"- razors with Safety Bars.

My guess would be that Gillette began retooling the New production lines worldwide to produce razors with solid safety bars. I assume that the one shown above is from a limited US production run or market test.

Meanwhile, over in R&D, Gillette perfected (and patented) making a razor out of stamped Brass; this is somewhat supported by a US Patent covering much of the Tech as we know it that specifically states that the diamond-shaped recess is to provide rigidity to a stamped metal razor while previous razors were made from machined metal. At that point, the bean counters rejoiced and moved Tech production over to a stamped process in the US and Canada. England, however, would have had to continue with a machined Tech as the required equipment was likely to have been unavailable or prioritized due to the war in Europe. (Anybody know what a WWII-era Brasilian Tech looked like?)

I doff my Hat Of Tin Foil to you, @BBS.

brit, Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Not my razor. I missed the auction on it. Gillette would make gradual changes to razors so it is not surprising they went from open comb to closed safety bar first before a stamped base plate. They did the same with the British News before switching over to the stamped Tech design.

brit, John Ruschmeyer and Linuxguile like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

the british new tech hybrid, factory plated in rhodium. hybid.jpg
    based on the british raised flat bottom new

19. brit

brit in a box

20. John Ruschmeyer

A bit of a handle comparison:
    IMG_0437.jpg

The handle on top is a British Fat Handle which was recently replated in Rhodium by Chris Spencer of BackRoadsGold. The bottom handle is a NOS US Fat Handle. Seeing them together, it is interesting to note a few obvious differences:
    • The flare at the opening of the British handle is slightly larger than the US one. This is only noticeable if you try to use the handle on something like an early New LC.
    • The US handle has something of a bell shape where the collet joints the main handle while the British one is fairly straight.
    • The British handle is slightly longer than its US counterpart