SOS: March 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by ram57, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

March Madness!!

March 11

Razor - RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Soap Commander Courage
    Brush - Semogue 620
    Post - Alum

Time to put Mild Madness away and pick up some Slant Madness. I finally got my first slant razor and it needs some testing. Now, I know that many think that slants are a gimmick. You bend the blade in order to produce a "scything" motion with each pass under the theory that a scythe blade, or guillotine blade if you will, will cut more easily and closer. You are slicing the beard off instead of cutting it off. The theory also states that it produces a smoother shave as the blade is not encountering the beard at a 90 degree angle of blade to hair, but is meeting at an angle that allows a smooth slice with much less resistance. It's a good theory. And, of course, anyone with a bit of practice can master the Gillette Slide technique, which essentially turns a standard razor into a slant, at least for effect. You have to learn to shave vertically as always with a horizontal slide to create the slice. I do it all the time, usually on my final pass to clean things up. So I can say, at least, that creating a slide does allow for easier finishes as it gets those hard to handle areas. That much I've experienced.

So, what about this Wunderbar from RazoRock/Italian Barber? It's a pretty thing. And it's a heavy thing. All stainless steel (there is an option for a titanium handle that I passed on) it comes in at 104 grams. That's heavy. That's comparable to the ATT razors. The Rockwell 6S is 113. The Merkur Futur is 120. Those are about the only heavier razors out there. Compared to Superspeed at 58 grams or even the Red Tip at 70, this is a heavy piece of steel. The finish is perfect on the razor and their description of the manufacturing process talks about the extra steps they go to in order to produce a perfect finish on it. The quality shows. Even if it doesn't outperform a standard razor it's still a very nice addition to the den.

Slants have a reputation for aggression and ease of cutting skin. So, I need a blade that will not hinder my trial. I need something I absolutely trust. A blade that has never failed me. I need a Russian.......oh wait......it's still March Madness......I'm not using Russians this month and that's a pledge I won't break. Let's grab a German Wilkinson Sword. One of the best non-Russians out there and it has also never given me a bad shave. Blade solved. Now, I need a lather that will be as slick as possible. Plenty of cushion. Need that protection so it's Stirling........oh wait.....it's still March Madness.....I'm not using Stirling and that's also a pledge I won't break. So, Soap Commander it is. Now, I could have chosen another soap or two just as confidently, but I will say that Soap Commander produces one of the slickest and most protective lathers of any soap not named Stirling. It puzzles me, given it is a vegan soap, but it works. So the Semogue 620 (since I'm not using synthetics either) will be in charge of managing a super slick, super cushy lather.

So, off we go. The lather - perfect. I'm relaxed, wondering how I'll find the angle but give it a quick stroke by aligning the blade guard to my face at an angle that both the guard and cap touch my face. Keep the razor in line and just let that 104 grams do the work. Wow. That was easy. I heard the cutting but I felt nothing. Smoooooooooth. I kept going on the first pass making sure to go north to south only. No hooking, no angling, nothing. Just straight vertical strokes. Rinse, lather, and go WTG the same way. Equally as smooth, not quite as noisy indicating there is less to cut which is good, and I'm soon rinsing and lathering for the ATG. Fairly quiet to quiet pass with no issues. No blood, nothing but smooth steel on my face. No touch ups for this shave, I'm taking what I get in three. And what did I get? Ok, we can debate the merits of BBS all we want just like we can debate the reality of a slant - but I've got to say the easiest and cleanest BBS I've had in awhile. No touch ups required. I wouldn't do one if I wanted to. That seems like a perfect three passes to me.

That was one of the best first shaves I've ever had with a razor. The best part was I was a bit surprised. I thought I'd finish up, find out that yea, ok, it made things a little easier maybe, but I still had to do all the usual clean up routines etc. Nope, not a one. How much of a slant is gimmick and how much is real may be a debate we can continue - but the debate over whether or not this particular razor does what it says is settled. I like it!

Have a great Tuesday!
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031, alfredus, clint64 and 21 others like this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Today's shave!
    A slant for today's shave! The Barbasol Pacific Rush worked wonders! IMG_20190311_222453_655.jpg

jimjo1031, alfredus, clint64 and 17 others like this.
  3. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

SHAVE OF THE DAY

Prep: Shave Soap Mix
    razor: Gillette Tech
    blade: Croma Diamat
    brush: Yaqi Synthetic
    soap: Gustafsons- Stubble Management

The soap used for todays shave is Gusrafsons Stubble Management which is produced by Square One Soapworks. Gustafsons first formula did not lather whatsoever, but this stuff has been a HUGE surprise. Vegan soap base that stands out and is not a typical Vegan IMO.

ingredients: distilled water, sustainable palm oil, stearic acid, shea butter, mango butter, potassium hydroxide, castor oil, sodium hydroxide, glycerin, sunflower oil, bentonite clay, essential oils (Anise, Peppermint), indigo blue powder, vitamin E

scent of Stubble Management is a mix of Anise and Peppermint. I am not a fan of Anise whatsoever but this is a different story, the 2 notes blend together yet you can still detect both notes (if that makes any scents hahaha). Very natural smelling scent that is fairly strong.

performance has surpassed all expectations and has actually become a soap base that is near & dear to my heart. The lather from this soap is a bit different (such as Shannon's, I Coloniali, or Perfectly Natural) and whips up to a cream consistancy with no visable bubbles. Lather can hold water and becomes nice and dense. Slickness and post shave feel are great but where this soap shines is post residual slickness, after rinsing touch ups are no problem. Would imagine this soap would be perfect for shaving with a Straight Razor as it is super slick with low volume. Managed a DFS drama free shave and finished off with a splash of AV.

Hope everyone had a swell shave!
    20190311_165451.jpg

4. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Thank you. :)

clint64, Boru62 and brit like this.
  5. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

12 March 2019

* Muhle R41 + Stork Aristocrat 1 Titanium
    * Wizamet Iridium Super
    * WSP 2-Band + Oscar11 Aquamarine C7

* Mystic Water Poggio dei Pini
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

6. SHAVEWIZARD420

3-11
    20190310_135531.jpg

Prep: pre shave soap mix
    Razor: Gillette Tech
    Blade: Croma Diamat
    Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
    Soap: Queen City Soapworks- Gentlemen's Cut

had used this soap once when i first got it and have been wanting to revisit it so today was the day. Queen City Soaps (not to be confused with Queen Charolette Soaps) is a artisan that there is little information about accept the WTF review which is where i purchased this soap from.

scent of Gentlemen's Cut is a light barbershop type tobacco scent, many artisans offer soaps that smell almost exactly like this (MW Sweet Briar, WILD WEST PEACE PIPE, etc.) It smells nice but prefer other versions of this scent.

performance is quite nice and made a decent lather with no issues. Soap consistancy is on the hard side like Paladin or Soap Commander and has a waxy feel to it. This soap is very concentrated, only scooped a small amount and still had some left over so a tin should last practically forever. Overall this is a decent soap but nothing about it had that "WOW" factor IMO. Finished off with Yak & Cuban Cigars balm to keep with the tobacco theme and is one of my favorite balms when it comes to both performance and scent.

Ingredient list is: Saponified Steric Acid, aqua, caster oil, Coconut Oil, Kokum Butter, sodium Lactate, Glycerin, fragrance

Hope everyone is doing well and getting the best shaves possible!
    20190310_162547.jpg

7. SHAVEWIZARD420

Nice stuff Guy!

Pirates Cove is a soap that i haven't seen mention of in a long time. They are inexpensive and have some interesting scents, BR with Ginger sounds like it would be a great twist on a classic scent.

8. SHAVEWIZARD420

Dang! Awesome pics and gear!:signs021::signs154:

9. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

I wish I could get my hands on some more of the BR with ginger but haven't seen a live site for pyrate cove since 2015 or 16.

10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

[​IMG]

The Leresche 77 is unique shaver. It really is a mild/medium razor but efficient as an aggressive razor. The cream is awesome and the scent is crazy good. What a great shave

11. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Tuesday SOTD
    [​IMG]
    Gem Micromatic razor
    New Forest brush
    Bufflehead Fifth Season shaving soap
    Fine American Blend aftershave

12. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Tuesday 12th March

[​IMG]

Pears Glycerine Soap
    Vitos Pre Shave Cream
    Williams Mug Shaving Soap
    Omega 10108 Boar Brush
    Wilkinson Sword TTO with a Wilkinson/Gillette Blade
    Simple Facial Toner
    Dove Moisturiser
    Williams Aqua Velva AS

Something quick and effective for an early start to a long shift.
    3 passes for a very nice shave indeed.

13. Boru62

Boru62 Well-Known Member

:thanks:, you're very kind.

clint64, Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  14. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Date: 12 March 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
    Brush:- Maseto 2 Band Finest Badger Ivory Beehive 30/55mm knot
    Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Razor/Blade:- Gillette Red Tip E1 1959 / Vintage NOS Gillette Bleue Extra #3
    Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree, Lavender & Peppermint / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
    Fragrance:- Dolce&Gabbana Pour Homme

19 more days to go for the whole month of Mitchell's March Wool Fat shave

15. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Travel Monday SOTN

I'm still getting used to the Q-shave Adjustable Futur Clone, but tonight's shave with a new blade was more comfortable. I turned up the aggressiveness TONIGHT a little bit to a 4.5 WTG, 3.5 ATG, 3.5 XTG. The shave was closer and still smooth except for one weeper under the left side of my chin. I knew it right away - clearly my fault with the shave angle was off. I look forward to my last couple travel shaves. Enjoy your night everyone!

Josh [​IMG]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

16. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

Good Morning Everyone SOTD 03/12/19

Gillette Single Ring
    Personna (2)
    Synthetic
    Col. Conk Bay Rum
    Cold Water Rinse, Alum Block
    Suavecito Bay Rum A/S

Have A Great Day! DSCF3450.JPG

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    How many shaves on this knot?

18. Dolle

Dolle Member

I'm a little more than a month into my DE- shaving journey. Had a wonderful shave this morning. I'm trying to find a routine that works for two shaves per week (tuesday morning and friday afternoon). Skin irritates easily, but once per week is too little for my growth.

Anyways:

Pre: Hot Shower + Acqua di Parma preshave oil
    Soap: Tabac
    Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89 black 3d handle
    Blade: Derby (third use)
    Brush: Executive shaving super badger
    Post: Osma Alum bloc + Cold Water Rinse + Nivea after shave balm sensitive

It's all out BBS with very little irritation. Nice scent. Very happy with that.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod190312.JPG
    Tabac Tuesday's Shave
    zcws.jpg

Cold Water Rinse
    Tabac
    The Brush B-3 by Tom
    Starling SE
    Gem Blue Star SE
    CWR
    Tabac AS

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Tabac Shaving Soap face lathered well with The Brush B-3 by Tom brush. I did two passes with the Starling SE razor with a Gem Blue Star SE blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Tabac AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

20. Jan Zoethout

Jan Zoethout Well-Known Member

SOTD 20190312.

[​IMG]

J&T® wengé / Maggard synth.
    Czech&Speake "Oxford&Cambridge" shaving soap (sample).
    Seygus "Zeppelin" V2.
    Dorco Titan Stainless (4).
    Hugo Boss "Bottled" EdT.

jimjo1031, alfredus, Sparrow and 18 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.