What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Montalvani

Montalvani Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Hey @Karl G - what’s the density like on that T&H Wellington? I think that my TOBS Super Badger is the same brush branded differently, and I’ve always been curious about the Wellington. Thanks much!

Cheers, Steve

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  3. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Beautiful razor and scales!

Montalvani, TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  4. Montalvani

Montalvani Well-Known Member

Thank you Sir

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Billyfergie, oscar11 and TestDepth like this.
  5. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Thank you! This razor is a half hollow so my skin acts very nicely to them. I have 2 one more of a hollow than the other and both wonderful shavers. Great shave! Are the shapton glass 7 series new? I have a few I wouldn’t say they are 7 series though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Dovo Master’s fresh off the stones.

FD1BB3F1-89C0-4EF4-8BF1-0FBD3FACC6F8.jpeg

7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Tuckmar World Star
    MFW
    homemade boar
    Myrsol Limon

I almost feel a guilty about this one but "sometimes you get the bear and sometimes the bear gets you". I got the bear this time. Very nice shave and this one sings. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

lindyhopper66, Timwcic, brit and 11 others like this.
  8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Yep, yep, if Dovo ever brings that shoulderless design back they will pry 3 Bens from my wallet pretty quick.

Okay, maybe not pry.

Very nice, glad you got it back in shape.

Briscoe, brit, M14Shooter and 4 others like this.
  9. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

They were announced last year I believe, they’re smaller, 190 x 42mm and 7mm thick abrasive vs 5 for the regular Glass Stones.

Cheers, Steve

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    LOVE that razor, Karl!

11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Love the etching and scales

13. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

On the road again...
    Portland Razor Company Siren [​IMG]

14. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:thanks:

This was my Grandpa’s razor and sat in my dresser drawer for decades. It didn’t start out as one of my favorites. Then it got a top notch honing. Now it’s one of my best shaves. :happy036:

When we would visit their house as kids I remember his strop hanging from the closet door and always thinking how old fashioned that was - who knew? :rofl:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  15. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

This was my first brush and it’s been a purchase that I’ve never regretted. The only regret is that I didn’t pay for an upgrade for the silver tip badger. The density and backbone is pretty much middle of the road - easily adequate and not overdone.

One quirk is that it holds water like no other brush I have. If you soak it at all you’ll have globs of lather sloughing off it on your first pass, no matter how much you shake it first. So, it took a while to learn, but the trick is to simply dunk it briefly in the sink rather than soak it or run it under the faucet. :happy088:

16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

9CF92F3A-79FE-4887-98CA-25B25951AD6A.jpeg

Cape 1000, testing the edge from a stone noted for making slightly aggressive edges by using heavier slurry, details in the honing thread. Heavier slurry appears to be successful, I had a wonderfully smooth, close shave from the Swedish Steel Cape. Soap was MdC fougere lathered with a Persian Jar 1 in Best Badger. A splash of Myrsol Agua Balsamica finished the shave off.

I’ll be using the PJ1 and the MdC for several days, I’m doing an experiment for a friend on how long a jar MdC will last. I won’t be finishing off an entire jar, but it will take a number of days to get a good estimate of the life of a jar. The brush size, number of passes, etc all make a sizable difference in usage, so it’s kind of like the old commercial about ‘How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop’.

Cheers, Steve

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

702DD380-60E4-49B4-8ECF-26B3BA3F31D8.jpeg

This is my version of what I think is the same brush just branded TOBS - there was a D. R. Harris labeled version too I believe. It’s labeled as a super badger, but the tips are whiter than any other super badger that I have, and if you look closely, you can see hooking on the tips. It is also a medium density, medium backbone brush, though I can’t say that I’ve noticed it holding large amounts of water once given a shake or two. I use it mostly with creams and soluble soaps like Martinde Candre. The best part is that I bought it off a BST for some ridiculous price like $45, and it’s like new and has the box with it.

I agree, great brushes!

Cheers, Steve

Timwcic, Keithmax, brit and 8 others like this.
  18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Two Pass Shaving Routine..:cool:

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
    Gail Solingen Extra Full Hollow
    Mason Pearson Pure Badger
    Goats Milk Tallow Soap
    Humphreys Witch Hazel

I Had a Cracking Mornings Shave Today with My Gail Solingen 6/8th..This a Rare True Extra Full Hollow..A Lot of Blades Say Extra Full Hollow when they are Not..This is the Only True Extra Full Hollow I have Ever Seen..Its a Carbon Steel Ultra Thin Blade..Feels Like a Light Alloy on the Hone..Even Looks & Feels Like Alloy in the Hand..This is a Very Special Shaver with a 20 K Surgical Black Arkansas Edge..;)

I Am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

19. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

20. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

:thanks:I Believe it was Made by the Gotta Solingen Company & a High End Production Export Model for the Spanish Market..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    TestDepth, Edison Carter and oscar11 like this.