Brushmakers Thread - Calling all Turners

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jtspartan, Mar 4, 2019.

1. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Alumilite is a good product. Not cheap. Very tough.

GAW9576, Keithmax and jtspartan like this.
  2. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

That was a very Dr. Seuss looking handle! I learned a couple of things on that one and would make a few changes next time around.

3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I looked it up a few days ago. I assume you get the 'Clear' turning specific product from them? It says Vacuum or Pressure it to avoid bubbles. I have neither. Is it necessary?

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

I recall reading about a home made pressurized container for impregnating superglue to stabilize wood. Schedule 40 PVC pipe in 4" diameter is rated for 133 PSI operating pressure & 710 PSI burst pressure. Schedule 80 4" at 194 & 1100. A suitable small chamber might be constructed with a threaded cap for access and a motorcycle tire air valve stem. Sorry for U.S. numbers. I have no idea how that translates to Metric measurements.

GAW9576, Frijolero, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  5. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Yes- I use clear
    Yes- pressure (not vac) is essential with this resin.
    Alumilite isn't the easiest to work with at first, but it turns really well and is incredibly durable. I was trying to break up some small pieces with a 5# hammer and got nowhere!

GAW9576, 9nein9, brit and 5 others like this.
  6. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Another fun fact about Alumilite- it isn't cheap either.

7. jtspartan

None of them are. I guess exotic woods aren't either, though.

GAW9576, 9nein9, brit and 4 others like this.
  8. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

Nope. Luckily, brushes are small.

GAW9576, 9nein9, Linuxguile and 5 others like this.
  9. jtspartan

PSI works for me, Rick. Thanks!

10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not like that stuff grows on ... Well, one man's exotic tree is another's backyard shade.

GAW9576, 9nein9, brit and 6 others like this.
  11. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

There's a shop here in town that has a stack of reclaimed Teak from Myanmar. $30.80 per board foot. Most of it is 2X12 so $61.60 per linear foot. So expensive but so nice!

GAW9576, BigMark83, brit and 3 others like this.
  12. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

A used lathe off the Canadian equivalent of Craigslist (sorry, I don't recall the name) might be a good option. I would encourage you to wait until you find something in your budget rather than jump the gun.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

GAW9576, brit, 9nein9 and 3 others like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

See below.
    I'm still watching for a used table top sized, myself. Maybe later something large enough to do big bowls. When fortune and chance align. This is more for fun than profit so I don't expect it to pay for it's self.

Having spent near 20 years in a wood shop I feel good about the machines Delta made in the early 1990's. From China but built well, the 6" X 89" belt sander, radial arm saw, jointer & shaper (jumbo floor standing planer & router) that the boss bought served well. Delta only currently lists one lathe at $650.00 which puts it out of Hobby range. You'd still need gouges unless you made your own. Now if you had a forge...

If I had eggs, I could have steak and eggs, if I had steak. ;)

GAW9576, Keithmax, brit and 4 others like this.
  14. jtspartan

Well, it really depends on what you want to spend. Your desire to have a reversable head is limiting you to big machines, imho. One of the worlds top lathe companies is Canadian- called Oneway. They start at $2500, though. Craftex at Busy Bee Tools is apparently a decent machine for around $1000. The table top Rikons at Lee Valley are good, but also pricey. I paid $500 for a Delta lathe, but it was 20 years ago!
    If cost is an issue, Used is probably your best bet if you can be patient. You are very mechanical, so shouldn’t have a big problem dropping a 1 HP Baldor in something you get a good deal on.

GAW9576, brit, AGHisBBS and 2 others like this.
  15. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

A Nova Comet II would do the trick if you can get it to Canada for a reasonable price.

3/4 HP, reversible, adjustable speed, can be extended.

16. jtspartan

They are available in Canada at KMS Tools. $649 for the tabletop, $1100 for the 16" floor model.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Casually mention how much you'd spend on a new one and how you'd pay XX bucks for a decent used unit. Could light a fire in his mind if he's really ready to sell. If he's not using his, but needs the money... you both win!

18. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I have a Jet mini lathe 10" swing, 15 1/2" between centers, 3/4hp, that I bought almost 20 years ago for - if I remember correctly - under $400. I do have a bed extension and a stand for it but it's pretty solid and works very well on a workbench with a Nova chuck. I've made a lot of smaller things like pens, wine bottle stoppers, pepper and salt mills, etc. with it. It should be perfect for brush handles.

Since retiring and downsizing to a house with no basement it also stores well in my garage.

GAW9576, brit, RyX and 3 others like this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

What is the name of the brush you PIFed to me? (green&white handle, something worthy about the knot?)

20. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

If you are thinking of a used lathe, you might want to consider a Shop Smith. They have since the 50's and many of the original machines are still going. While not table top by any means, the ability to convert them into other tools does save a great deal of space. You should be able to find one in good shape for under $500. They are not the best lathe but are steady and reliable machines.

GAW9576, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.