What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

Tuckmar steel is just awesome .Up there with Puma,Tiger ,Dorko ,FWEngels and Wester Bros.All my Tucmars straights take an incredible super keen edge while retaining a very smooth feel.Almost reminds me of Japanese Swedish steel .It took me a long time to find several Tuckmars in very good shape .Your looks to be in excellent shape .You are very lucky owning that fine piece of German workmanship.I was shocked the first time I honed a Tuckmar blade .The level of sharpness was almost scary .Enjoy that work of art .;)

2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

8/8 Wade & Butcher “The Celebrated Hollow Ground Razor”
    A54284BA-5468-460A-90C8-F47E03B1737E.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

3. M14Shooter

5/8 Hayashi Diamond Special Process Scholler Bleckmann High Class Steel Super Extra Razor

The razor was well used .But still delivers an outstanding shave .:shaver

rps20190312_225119_645.jpg rps20190312_225200_589.jpg

Briscoe, Billyfergie, oscar11 and 8 others like this.
  4. M14Shooter

Nice Wade and Butcher Tom

Briscoe, Billyfergie, oscar11 and 2 others like this.
  5. TestDepth

Thanks Mike.

I find it interesting just how much info some brands could put on a blade face... that is a paragraph on that Diamond. :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  6. tspierce78

tspierce78 Active Member

[​IMG]

Jerry Stark 6/8″ Straight Razor #429 (Distressed Buffalo Horn Scales, 52100 Steel, Extra Hollow Ground, Round Point)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

8E88303C-EAC9-4072-A3C2-0179B312AC80.jpeg

Took a walk on the wild side today, a freshly honed Bruno Blades 8/8 Alien in lava flow Kirinite scales, soap was MdC lathered with a PJ1 and a splash of Myrsol AB finished up. This razor shaves very well and 2-passes left me BBS. For those interested in the MdC soap consumption test, it was 0.8g for yesterday’s shave.

Cheers, Steve

8. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

9/8 Wade and Butcher FBU
    Video link below if you feel like watching
    [​IMG]

9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Nice looking blade.:happy088:

10. tspierce78

tspierce78 Active Member

Jerry makes great blades and this one definitely sings. I’ve got thicker hair hence all the software.

11. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Superb shave with my newest den addition. The Napoleon really shone with one of the quickest, closest shaves I’ve ever had. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    Mike’s Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender
    Savile Row 3824
    John & Wm Ragg Napoleon 11/16
    Thayers Witch Hazel Rose Petal

John & Wm Ragg Napoleon 11:16 TH MNSHL SR TWHR.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

12. DaltonGang

Tonights shave was with a Newly restored, and Honed razor. I had a wonderful, 2 pass shave, that left me BBS, without touch-ups. I do like this brand of razor.

Razor- F.W.Engels "Leader".. Solingen Germany
    Brush- B400 By Tom. WD Boar. 18+ hairs shed tonight. The knot is history, after tonight. 2nd WD Boar that did this.
    Soap- Arko Stick
    Aftershave- Shulton Old Spice. Ships Lantern Decanter

P3120837.JPG

13. TestDepth

Schmachtenberg Bros. “Partner”
    13/16” German razor that keeps you on your toes. Fun to throw a spike like this in the mix every once in a while.
    4284433A-372F-4CC8-BA82-EC2481A5023F.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

Briscoe, lindyhopper66, brit and 11 others like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

C95C8D8D-EFC8-4B74-A949-502FCB39BB18.jpeg

Double your pleasure, double,your fun .... No, not gum, razors! I was continuing the test of the Shapton Glass 7 Series 0.44, which Sharpening Supplies lists as >30k. The previous shave with the Hayashi user finished on the Shapton 0.44 was very good, but not as smooth as a good jnat. So I honed a Gold Dollar 208 test razor finishing with the 0.44 Shapton, and re-finished the Hayashi on a fine jnat and shaved with them side-by-side this morning. The Gold Dollar was also good, but the jnat edge on the re-finished Hayashi was smoother. FYI, for those of you following the honing thread, you know that my custom Bruno Blades Alien would not take an edge from the 0.44 Shapton or the Suehiro Gokumyo 20k, it broke down during stropping. But guess what, the $12 Gold Dollar 208 took an edge from the 0.44 as good as the Hayashi did. Go figure.

Soap was MdC fougere lathered with a Simpsons PJ1 Best, and Myrsol AB made me smooth and fragrant - in a good way.

Cheers, Steve

15. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 Fisher Stainless
    A&E
    homemade synthetic brush Hawk knot

This razor was a gift from a member here. We did a few brush experiments. If it's o.k. with him I'll give his handle but I'll wait until I hear from him first. For some reason I always seem to get along real well with stainless blades. This was no exception. I really enjoyed this mornings shave, great razor and great shave. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  16. DaltonGang

You've found out, what many of us know. The Gold Dollar razors use some quality steel. I have a few, and once the stabilizer is adjusted, they take on killer edges. If someone is on a budget, and want to learn shaving, honing, or blade modifications, the Gold Dollar is the route to go. The best part is that they are $3.99 free shipping, on ebay.

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Oh, I already knew that! You can complain about a lot with a Gold Dollar (the scales are my biggest beef), but steel isn’t something to complain about. I like the 208s a lot, I get them from Lee at WSP for $12.99 I think, but quick delivery.

BTW, in general as the numbers go up, the grind gets more hollow, the spine thinner, and the grinding is better, especially around the stablilizer - which you may still have to do a little work on. The top of the line is the Gold Monkey, and if you get a good one it’s quite a decent razor except for the same lousy scales. If you can find a decent set of scales, or make some, you’ll be surprised how much that improves a Gold Dollar.

I have a several also, I use them as test and travel razors when I go by air, no worries checking a $6-12 razor. That’s why there’s a number on that Gold Dollar scale above, if I hone 2 I have to be able to tell them apart!

Cheers, Steve

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    TestDepth, Karl G, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  18. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Wade & Butcher American Razor

DF847881-074A-46AF-B083-2E827569D3AD.jpeg

19. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Two Pass Shaving Routine..:cool:

Hot Water Prep & Massage with Argan Oil
    SCHMIDT Elberfield Solingen 3/4 Hollow 6/8th
    Hans Baier Silver Tip
    Valobra Tallow Soap
    Humphreys Witch Hazel

I Had a Beautiful & Very Comfortable BBS Shave Tonight with My SCHMIDT Solingen 3/4 Hollow 6/8th...This Razor Shines & Sparkles in the Light with Every Stroke..Best of Solingen Steel & Sporting a 17 K Escher Thuri Edge..Wunderbar...:D

I Am Dolphin Smooth & Refreshed..:kar:

Billy..:chores016:

20. Montalvani

Montalvani Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk