What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a modified Gold Dollar, it is a good razor and have zero issues with it. I bought it modified and in addition to shaving well it looks cool.

2. Keithmax

Nichiri Companys Real Japanese Hollow Ground

IMG_6265.jpg

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Tonights shave was with an American made razor, with Swedish Steel, and freshly honed. This was a NOS razor, that needed a proper hone. I had a beautiful 2 pass shave, that left me feeling smooth as a Dolphins Butt. Very nice shaving little razor. I enjoy the look of the Case Hardened look, of the Tang and Tail.

Razor- Andrew's, Swedish Steel. Andrews Barber School, Toledo Ohio. and Buffalo NY.
    Brush- Omega 10098 Boar.
    Soap- Arko Stick
    Aftershave- Florida Waster. Wow, I forgot to add the glycerin, on this new bottle. . This stuff is like a straight alcohol splash, without it. Woke me up.

P3130838.JPG

4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

First time out with the new Dovo 'en vogue'. I was attracted to this razor for; stainless steel, micarta scales, reputation for edge duration, weight, and overall appearance.

I was made even more enthusiastic by comments from some of the straight fans here.

So here we go....

Shower, small dab of Proraso menthol pre-shave, 20/40 strop - linen/leather, Stirling boar, Stirling Blu SS, alum, rinse, dab of Proraso Menthol A/S balm, Stirling Blu A/S, 20/40 on the strop before storage.

First thing I noticed was the heft of this razor seems to make stropping easier. It is the only razor I have, that I don't feel like it could fly right out of my fingers. Nice.

Much quieter on the strop and shaving than anything but my half hollow. (note: half is my thickest)

Did my normal 3 pass above the jaw, and 4 pass below. The razor felt very sure in my hand and very smooth. Like I said above, relatively quiet. Jarrod's reputation for honing is rock solid.

I can't say I've ever gotten a 'better' straight shave. It felt wonderful. So much so, that I think I was enjoying so much that I must have been careless with the 'splash-on'.

20190313_132049.jpg

One of the fellows at work commented that I smelled like a female employee of a French House of ill-repute. My first response was to say something about my aftershave. In retrospect, I should have inquired how he knew what these people smell like.

You Dark Sliders don't think Darth Vader.........? Nah fuggettaboutit!
    :scared003:
    But, I bet he's wearing that helmet/mask/breathing getup because he's got that Stirling Blu thing going on underneath. Yeah man. Great shave.
    :kar:

Be well!
    :cool:

Briscoe, lindyhopper66, brit and 10 others like this.
  5. Keithmax

The razor is almost hypnotic. Enjoy that a :signs021: razor.

Billyfergie, oscar11, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  6. Edison Carter

Thx. The electro-decor is just a bonus.

7. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

C1631DC4-4650-4647-A4B8-AA833AC413B0.jpeg

Filly 14, soap was MdC fougere lathered with a 20mm Simpsons PJ1 - averaging 0.4g/shave for the last 3 shaves. Myrsol AB finished things up

Cheers, Steve

Briscoe, lindyhopper66, brit and 11 others like this.
  8. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Lovely shave with the Dubl Duck today :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    Mike’s Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender
    Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
    Dubl Duck Wonderedge 5/8
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm

Dubl Duck Wonderedge 5:8 TH MNSHL SM AOS.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

Briscoe, lindyhopper66, brit and 12 others like this.
  9. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Great scales on a great razor.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Nice looking Friodur there Primo!

12. Keithmax

Mastro Livi Gifretto

ID - 1.jpg

Briscoe, lindyhopper66, brit and 9 others like this.
  13. Edison Carter

From Today.....

Trumpers Lime Skin Food - Used as a pre-shave today, just a dab. I'll always have this. Does wonders for the skin without a greasy feel. Nice on winter cracked hands.

Mug Soap - Well I've been guilty of saying foolish things about mug soaps like 'mugs are for coffee'. So I repented and went out and got me some mug soap to prove I have an open mind. Used my Stirling badger to whip up my some of the most light puffy lather ever. No animal fats, surprised me. Max Headroom formally declares approval of 'Mug Soap'.

Dovo 'en vogue' - I liked my first time out with this so much yesterday I figured the sequel was in order. Flipped it over so you can get a good look at the laser engraving. Probably not good if you struggle with vertigo. This is a solid heavy razor. Delivered probably the best open edge shave to date. Did I say, this is a nice heavy razor? I think this was as good of a straight shave result I've ever had.

Lucky Tiger Face Tonic - I forgot who it was, but someone here at TSD recommended this. Gentle orange scent that just plain feels nice on the face. Often used when I need to keep moving along.

Pinaud Clubman - After the comments at work yesterday about smelling like a French Brothel, it was the barbershop standard Pinaud Clubman up for the call. Probably could've went Stirling Baker Street too, but sure avoided any of that ribbing I got before.

[​IMG]

This is Max Headroom reporting, and reminding you to exercise the liberty of the Uninhibited Shave and ignore those folks telling you 'mugs are for coffee'. Get you some Mug Soap today, I got mine.

[​IMG]

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod190316 (2).JPG
    Saturday Straights' Shave
    [​IMG]

Cold Water Rinse
    Green Mountain Balsam Spice Shaving Soap
    The Brush B-3 by Tom
    J.R. Torey 5/8
    CWR
    Stetson AS

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Green Mountain Balsam Shaving Soap face lathered well with The Brush B-3 by Tom brush. It was my first shave with the GMBSS, and it performed well. I am not a scent person, so I don't know what to say about it except that it was not a strong scent. I did two passes with the J.R. Torey 5/8 razor and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Stetson AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
    Briscoe, lindyhopper66, brit and 11 others like this.
  15. Montalvani

Montalvani Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Briscoe, lindyhopper66, brit and 12 others like this.
  16. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

AC639736-58B1-4EB4-ACA8-AFF8A840F145.jpeg

This morning’s shave, a fist full of (Gold) Dollars! This was the shave test of the two hones that I finished them on, details in the honing thread. Bottom line, very difficult to tell the difference, but I think that the big asagi (blue) stone made a slightly smoother edge. Soap was MdC fougere, brush was a Persian Jar 1, and Myrsol AB finished things up.

Yesterday’s shave used 0.6g of MdC.

Cheers, Steve

17. Keithmax

Wow, I like that side even better.

Who made the razor? Those are some classic lines.

18. Montalvani

Montalvani Well-Known Member

Jenes Sándor! Fine artisan! Very good 8/8” silver steel razor

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

Karl G, oscar11, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  19. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

CV Heljestrand 14
    7/8 made for the South American market
    17EE12B3-62E8-4FD1-9030-62DB213135FD.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

20. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

A beautiful looking razor. Simple but elegant.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Karl G, oscar11, Keithmax and 3 others like this.