Foamy Fraternity

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Ursa, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

This thread is for the fans of the classic Gillette Foamy line of aerosol shaving creams.

Regular...Lemon-Lime...Menthol...Sensitive Skin...Barbershop Fresh. Let's talk Foamy!

2. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

While I'm normally a Barbasol guy, there's one big gaping hole in their lineup: They don't make Lemon-Lime anymore!

And that's where Gillette Foamy makes my day: Foamy Lemon-Lime provides an intense blast of classic lemon-lime aroma that lingers delightfully around the washroom for long after I'm done shaving.

This is my "treat" shaving cream for lazy days when I want something fun and whimsical. I love this stuff...

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I still have a bit of my Foamy Menthol left for this summer. Might get the Lemon-Lime for Skin Bracer and the Clubman Reserve Gent's Gin.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Ursa like this.
  4. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

If you can't find Foamy Lemon-Lime in your locale, Walgreens.com is a dependable source. I use the free ship-to-store option; paid $4.48 for two cans on my last order. I've got a Walgreens two miles away to pick it up at.

For some reason, they don't offer Lemon-Lime in stores, and don't offer Barbershop Fresh online. Weird.

5. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I never got the chance to try Barbasol's lime. I have most of the others and am a big fan. Now you've got me curious about the Foamy lime/lemon. I think it sounds like a lot of fun, and I'm sure it gives a fine shave. I have lemon and orange soaps, but nothing at all in lime. I like using a variety of stuff...soaps, creams, foams. It keeps me from getting bored, and I use a badger or synthetic brush with my Barbasol all the time. I bet the lime would smell great whipped up with a wet brush. I think I;m going to have to join the Fraternity lol.

RyX and Ursa like this.
  6. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

My dad taught me how to shave with his 1955 Superspeed loaded with a Spoiler, and Lemon/Lime Foamy. I may have to pick up a can.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

7. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Lucky you! My Dad started me off with a BiC Shaver (the regular BiC disposable, not the milder Sensitive Skin variant) and Edge for Sensitive Skin gel.

Much blood-letting ensued...it wasn't long before I gave up and moved to a Norelco!

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

i started in the early 80s with trac 2s and foamy ..vague memories..

Ijustmissedthe50s and Ursa like this.
  9. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

The Lemon-Lime Barbasol was glorious stuff. I seem to remember a bit more lime tang to it versus Foamy Lemon-Lime. The Foamy strikes a nice balance between lemons and limes, sorta like Sprite soda.

When I've got the time, I've been really enjoying RazoRock's Essential Oil of Lime soap. It is, by far, my favorite soap.

I wish some of the lime-scented toiletries of the past were brought back. Old Spice aftershave, Right Guard stick deodorant, and Mennen Speed Stick all had lime variants that I would love to buy and enjoy again.

Ijustmissedthe50s, RyX and brit like this.
  10. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I love all things citrus, so the Gillette foamy lemon-lime is right up my alley!
    I'll have to order some.
    In the meantime, I went on a whim and bought the Barbasol Pacific Rush. WOW!
    Talk about menthol! The caffeine part may be marketing, but the menthol.does the trick.
    Matter of fact, here is a picture of this morning (and the rest of the weeks) shaves!
    IMG_20190306_220907_362.jpg

11. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I like your style! I've enjoyed many a delightful shave with my Slim Adjustable, new Pacific Rush, and Brisk A/S.

If you can shave with the razor dialed up to 9 as pictured, you're a better man than I! The best I can do is setting 5.

RyX and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  12. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Sort of off-topic and I apologize profusely. I used the Gillette Lemon Lime lather cream from Lebanon and it had a nice refreshing scent with excellent lather. The skincare was not good, though.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  13. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I just set it at 9 and roll. I figure the best way to make sure my.technique is on point is to use it on 9!
    Where did you say the best place to find the Gillette Lemon-LI'm was again?

Also, what about Noxema?I see that at every grocery store here in my area.

Ursa likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

I like Noxema-may go for it again.

Ursa likes this.
  15. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I get my Foamy Lemon-Lime from walgreens.com, using the free ship-to-store option. If you have a Walgreens nearby, this is the way to go. This is also a good option for the hard-to-find Menthol.

Haven't touched Noxema creams since the mid-'90s, but used to use the Red can daily as a teen and really liked it back then. Maybe I'll pick up a can for ol' times' sake.

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  16. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I tried the Foamy Menthol recently....Hated it...Like really hated it...It turned me against Foamy...But after hearing good things about Foamy Barbershop, and seeing Ursa's and some others saying nice things...I picked up a can of Foamy Barbershop today at Walgreens...normally priced $5 !!! But onsale today for $1.99....I got it!

I'll report back after checking it out. Tomorrow is William's Wednesday...thats kind of a Spiritual thing where I come from...But I'll be back on Thursday. I tested some in my palm....Seems very nice!...I'm keeping an open mind.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RyX, Ursa and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  17. Paul Turner

Update-I meant to say Clubman Original Shave Cream-and now I have that.

brit and Ursa like this.
  18. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I find that Foamy Menthol provides more of a burning sensation than a chill. Used up a can of it around 1990 and didn't touch Foamy again until getting a can of Lemon Lime in 1999.

Looked for Barbershop Fresh at a local Walgreens a couple of days ago. There was not a single can of any Foamy variety to be found.

Interestingly...I've never had any luck with Williams, but saw a stack of pucks on sale at a local indie pharmacy and grabbed one. With my new RazoRock Snowman brush, it finally worked for me--and I got a superb shave. Now I see what all the buzz is about. It's now in the rotaion!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    brit, Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  19. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I think I used Noxema canned shave cream as a teen when I first started shaving. I then gravitated to Edge Gel and stayed with it until I found out how to really shave. As someone who has been trending towards barbershop scents, I went out and picked up a can of Gillette's Barbershop Fresh Foam Mousse in the spring of last year. I did one shave with it just to check it out and was struck by it's thick creamy consistency. Much thicker than I remembered Noxema being. I also thought it was nice and slick for a canned goo. And the scent really put a smile on my face. I gave that can to my son to take to summer camp with him. I'd say the can is still more than 2/3 full. I used it the other day with a cart when I was really rushed to get out of the house. So I give this one a big thumbs up.

image.png

Water, Triethanolamine, Palmitic Acid, Stearic Acid, Isobutane, Laureth-23, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Propane, Glycerin, Sorbitol, Fragrance, BHT.

I just realized that they also make a Barbershop Fresh scented Foamy. Are they the same products with different marketing or is the Foamy stuff different from the Foam Mousse?

image.png

FOAMY SHAVE FOAM—BARBER SHOP FRESH
    INGREDIENTS

WATER/EAU, STEARIC ACID, TRIETHANOLAMINE, ISOBUTANE, LAURETH-23, SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE, PROPANE, GLYCERIN, SORBITOL, FRAGRANCE/PARFUM, BHT.

Edit: Ok. I found the ingredients of each and have stuck them in under each picture.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Paul Turner and ordinaryshaver like this.
  20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I just shaved with the Gillette Barbershop Fresh Foamy. Veddy Veddy nice! Super thick and rich...Got a great shave...

I'll need some more shaves to pass a judgement on the skin conditioning aspects...But so far...I Like It!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk