Foamy Fraternity

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Ursa, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I wish that could be brought back to my local drugstore and supermarket.

2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

As some time is going by since my shave...I am starting to get more and more impressed...This was one of those best ever type shaves...and my face feels fabulous!![​IMG]

Schick E2, armed with a 3 shave old Proline B20...

Only difference between this pic and this shave, was I used a splash of Clubman Orig. + and small splash of Aqua Velva Musk to seal the deal...no Skin Bracer today..The Skin Bracer was photo-bombing...lol!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Ursa, MntnMan62, chevyguy and 2 others like this.
  3. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Here's my St. paddy's day afternoon shave. It was smooth and comfortable.

Clayton[​IMG]

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

4. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Foamy with an electric? Hmmm...Never tried that one. I used to use Lectric shave when I used an electric razor.

Ursa, brit and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  5. Bird Lives

Had a Foam-Off today...Barbasol Pacific Rush vs Foamy Barbershop Fresh...

Well....the menthol saved the Big B....but I was sincerly surprised...The Barbershop Fresh was thicker!

I'm shocked! Foamy ..at least with this Barbershop Fresh is solid delivering the goods..

Are the other flavors this good?

brit, Ursa and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  6. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Had the good fortune to find Barbershop Fresh at my local Meijer for the same price as regular Foamy...about US$1.80, so I picked up a can. Why Walgreens charges double for Barbershop Fresh versus regular Foamy is a mystery to me...

Gave it a whirl yesterday and had a delightful shave! My goodness, the fragrance is intense--and very close to Clubman.

Barbershop Fresh seemed thicker and slicker than the other Foamy varieties. I did not get as close a shave as with other Foamys, so next shave I'll open up the Slim Adjustable another click and see what happens.

For after shave lotion, I've been using a 50/50 blend of Clubman and Barbasol Brisk for a couple of weeks now. This was a very nice compliment to the Barbershop Fresh shave.

Next to the Foamy and packaged in a Foamy-style can, I noted Gillette Fusion5 Ultra Sensitive Foam. Hmm...are they trying to take Foamy upscale, as Barbasol once tried with the Ultra series?

7. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Anyone have a chance to pick up one of the new Barbasol cans that have the raised lettering?
    I hear they are a good bit smaller than the original ones.

8. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Wasn't aware of those--will be on the lookout for them.

9. Bird Lives

My Rush is in the new can...I've been so into the arko and Williams lately.... I haven't used it in a while....And that Foamy Barbershop Fresh kinda got me hooked, as far as canned foam....I need to go back and try the rush again....I remember I was quite impressed...

Its a proplem....Too much really great product and only one face to shave, once a day...lol!!

Ursa likes this.
  10. chevyguy

The newer electric shavers really give a great wet shave. I used my 5000 Series Norelco yesterday morning with the Lemon/Lime Foamy and recieved a nearly bbs shave. My JR-338 Boar/Badger brush provided the warm lather. I finished my shave with a splash of P&G Old Spice Classic AS.

Clayton

Ursa and Edison Carter like this.
  11. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Foamy Lemon-Lime followed up by Old Spice...now there's a classic, no matter which razor you deploy.

Somewhere around here I have an Emerson wet/dry electric foil shaver. I've used it maybe three times as a dry shaver and found to be woefully ineffective, but never tried it with lather. Perhaps I"ll give it a whirl tonight.

One strange and ongoing marketing mystery is that Philishave razors are sold as Norelcos in the USA only. I wrote to Philips some years ago about that, suggesting that they standardize on the Philishave brand or at least call 'em Philips Norelco. It wasn't long afterward that they did the latter. I've got a Norelco 6613X and a Philips Norelco 6423LC. Both use the same HQ55+ heads and are the first electrics I ever got a decent shave from. They still see occasionally use if I need a quick late-day shave or need to trim sideburns or neck hair.

chevyguy likes this.
  12. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Foamy shave:

Gillette Foamy Barbershop Fresh
    RazoRock Snowman brush
    Gillette Slim Adjustable - setting 5
    Dollar General (Dorco) blade - 3rd shave
    50/50 blend of Barbasol Brisk and Clubman after shave lotion

Noting a lack of closeness with my first Barbershop Fresh shave, I opened up the Slim from setting 4 to 5 and did note an improvement--but think I could do better opened up even more.

The Barbershop Fresh is really slick and protective stuff. I've done some ill-advised maneuvers with my Slim and didn't get nicked or irritated in the least. For someone new to DE razors, using this cream to get started with could provide a big margin for error.

Bird Lives and chevyguy like this.
  13. chevyguy

I need to find a can of the Barbershop Fresh.

Clayton

Ursa and Bird Lives like this.
  14. Bird Lives

It is good stuff....I hate canned goo...but the new Barbasol Pacific Rush reminds me of the old Colgate Menthol...and thats a real GOOD thing! And this Foamy Barbershop Fresh is the best canned cream I have ever used!!

I still prefer Arko or Williams....but I do use this Barbershop Fresh when I want to really quality canned foam!!

Ursa and brit like this.
  15. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that there was a Colgate Menthol--how did it compare to Barbasol Cool Menthol and Foamy Menthol?

The Regular was the only Colgate I ever used, though I do recall seeing Aloe, Sensitive, and Lemon Lime.

Colgate Regular was my go-to can until they took it off the market years ago. One could usually find it for US 79 cents a can, or you could overpay for it at any Dollar Store. Obviously, this wasn't a huge profit center for Colgate-Palmolive.

Paul Turner and brit like this.
  16. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

My go to cream on Saturday morning before work shave! Love this stuff! Love it even more when I submerge the can in ice cold water. Get 2 kind of freezes .
    IMG_20190420_212036_299.jpg

Ursa, Paul Turner and brit like this.
  17. chevyguy

My easy going Sunday afternoon face, and head shave. I really enjoyed it and the Personna Caliber-5 Flexball razor gave me a comfortable smooth shave. It's a great head shaving razor.

Clayton[​IMG]

18. Paul Turner

I might try the Lemon Lime scent this summer.

Frijolero, Ursa and brit like this.
  19. chevyguy

It has a nice citrusy lemon/lime scent, I like it.

Clayton

20. Paul Turner

I think I'm going to let various Gillette Foamys replace my "signature(for me anway lol)" Rise Super Foam when this last can finishes. The regular Foamy(red)throughout the cold months, and rotating Menthol and Lemon/Lime in the spring&summer. Ooops, I see I wrote a somewhat similar post a while ago, but let's say I am "elaborating" with this one :).

Ursa and brit like this.