What Straight Razor Have You Honed Lately????

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Sep 25, 2016.

1. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

92628801-8FF1-4362-9999-E2E744AFF103.jpeg

Thank you @SevenEighth I try to help when I can and provide some eye-candy. I’d like to post some low magnification images of razor problems and how to fix them, but haven’t figured the photography out yet. I don’t want microscope images, I want images that would look like what your eye would see with a loupe.

And apparently I am a glutton for punishment. After chatting with Scott above, I decided to try the Alien on a Suehiro Gokumyo 20k and see if it would take an edge off it. Curiosity got the better of me, and what’s the worse that could happen, I have to hone it twice? And that’s exactly what happened, it wouldn’t take the Gok 20k edge either. The edge looked good until I stropped it, then I saw those same bright sections along the edge as the Shapton 7 Series 0.44, and it failed HHT in these areas, it just cut halfway through and stopped leaving a hanging end. That’s what it would do to your whiskers too, ouch! The synths did not make a durable edge at 20k or 30k. So back to the fast mid-grit kiita slurried with a diamond plate followed by a barber-size Nakayama and slurry. It took that edge and it looked good under the loupe. Jnat slurry is a wonderful thing, and I know that it will shave just as well as a good 30k edge if not better, that barber size Nakayama is a peach.

So I guess that I learned something about this particular razor and have made a note of it in my honing journal.

Cheers, Steve

brit, Frijolero, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  2. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    Aye thats what I Use...:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

brit, Frijolero, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Busy few hours to kill today. I haven't honed a razor in a while.

Andrew's
    Swedish Steel
    Andrew's Barber School
    Toledo O.-Buffalo NY

This one was NOS, but the edge was nowhere near "Shave Ready". I went from 1K-8K synthetics, then 8K 12K 15K Welsh Slate Stones. Finished it off with an Arkansas Surgical Black Progression. Any hair it touches, anywhere on the edge, pops, as soon as it is touched. Wicked!!

P3120833.JPG

brit, Frijolero, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  4. DaltonGang

F.W.Engel's "Leader
    Solingen Germany

Easy to hone, even if it had a little wear. The Welsh Slates and Arie Black did a wonderful job. Popping hairs, easily, down the entire edge, at will.

P3120835.JPG

5. DaltonGang

F.W.Engels "Special"
    Solingen Germany

A bit more difficult to hone. It was a "Rusty Razor", when I bought it, and the edge needed some attention, as well as straightening. After the Bevel was set, it was Smooth sailing though the Welsh Slates and Arkie Surgical Black. HHT-CN, was the result.

P3120834.JPG

brit, Frijolero, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

F.W.Engel's "Silver Steel"
    Solingen Germany

This was a real PITA. I started it, several weeks ago, got Pissed off, and decided it was better to stop, and re-group, at a later day.. Well, today was that day. The edge was real wavy, and had a horrible bevel set. It also had a few pit marks on the bevel, that almost went entirely through. I had to level out the blade, quite a bit, and hone past the pits. Good thing the blade had a lot of blade left. I took it down to the Norton 320 grit, and took it up the progression like the others. After the 1k bevel was set, there was a wonderful progression after that. The Welsh Slates and Arkie Surgical Black finished it off. Scary sharp edge, down the entire blade.

P3120836.JPG

7. Billyfergie

[​IMG]

8. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Changed the Edge on this Single Edge BOKER Full Hollow Ground Swedish Steel Blade from a 17 K Escher Thuri Finish to a Surgical Black Arkansas 20 K Finish..I Took it Back to the Naniwa 8 K, 12 k, 16 k Film, Surgical Black 20 K Arkie for a Change of Pace...;)

I Honed @Karl G Blade for His C.V Heljestrand SE...The Nordic Queen as He Calls it..I Did it on My Arkie & I Liked the Edge So Much I Done One of My Own for My Own C.V Heljestrand SE..Never Came Across Another Usable BOKER SE Hollow Ground Blade..She has a Wicked & Smooth Edge...Cuts the Whiskers Like a Silent Ninja..:D

Swedish Steel Takes an Awesome Edge from a Surgical Black Arkie...:happy108:

9. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Lovely shave with the Dubl Duck today. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    Mike’s Natural Soaps Hungarian Lavender
    Shavemac 2-Band Silvertip Badger
    Dubl Duck Wonderedge 5/8
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm

Dubl Duck Wonderedge 5:8 TH MNSHL SM AOS.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

Keithmax, brit, M14Shooter and 5 others like this.
  10. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    My Friday hone of the day
    13/16 W.M Greaves &Sons Sheaf Works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, brit, Frijolero and 6 others like this.
  11. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Whoops - wrong thread! Sorry guys! :scared007:

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

Keithmax, Steve56, brit and 4 others like this.
  13. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:happy097:

Yeah, I usually only do that with text messages... :rofl:

14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

It’s nice to know that someone else besides me does that!

Cheers, Steve

Keithmax, Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

0807D2C8-2A9E-4486-AECC-4219B934CEEC.jpeg

Just playing around a little, finished two Gold Dollar test razors on two different Nakayama bench stones that I acquired several years ago. The asagi in the back came from Takeshi Aoki, the kiita in the front from Alex Gilmore. Both are hard, but the kiita is a bit harder. It’s becoming increasingly difficult to find high quality stones this large, and they’re increasingly expensive. So I’m glad that I indulged the hobby when I did.

Shave test later this morning!

Cheers, Steve

Keithmax, brit, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  16. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This Swedish steel razor has been a pain in the neck in the past. It takes a nice coticule edge but still rather pedestrian . Last time out it was clear that it needed a refresh.

The other day I tried the refresh on this vintage coticule. Just like the razor this stone hasn't been too cooperative in the past and this outing was no exception until, inspired by some of @Billyfergie 's posts in this thread I thought I might try oil. Too lazy to fetch my can of trusty Bisley Gun oil I grabbed my little dropper of clock oil.

The stone came alive. Soon the oil was sucking down the blade. No joke the finished edge was as sharp as if I'd taken it to sub-micron pastes but with the warmth and humanity of a coti edge. Who knew a coti could get a razor this sharp.

Thanks for the inspiration, Billy.

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Congrats on the good results! With jnat and coticule finishers, you just have to try stuff. Some of it works and some doesn’t, but everything that works adds another tool to the toolbox. That’s the way you do it.

Cheers, Steve

18. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Thanks. I like the puzzle that each coticule presents. Each one seems to like different handling.

Spent far too much on coticules. Really trying not to go anywhere near Jnats in case the same happens.

Keithmax, Frijolero, Steve56 and 3 others like this.
  19. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Don’t get into jnats.... lol

20. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Filarmonica Doble Temple 14
    Naniwa 1k to the Suehiro 6k to set and refine the bevel. Then turned to the pictured Thuringian to finish. Really tried to go light throughout with such a hollow ground, flexible blade.
    F97376BC-8174-41FC-977C-4334986BCAAA.jpeg
    Happy honing.
    Tom