Questions (and pics) regarding my newly acquired Enders Speed Shaver

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by 120inna55, Mar 16, 2019.

1. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Here are some pics of my new Enders Speed Shaver. This one's with the rectangular cut-out and shallow comb. I assume that makes it one of the later models (Durham-Enders Razor Corp out of Connecticut). So late 40s to 50s?

I've seen some advice on how to modify a Christy to accept injector blades, but nothing specific to Enders. Does someone around here manufacture such an animal, or do I need to do it myself? I don't have any Enders blades, but some are en route.

I was considering purchasing some polish specifically for Bakelite or plastic, but honestly after further inspection, it looks to be in pretty good shape. Just some soap scum maybe. What's a safe way to clean this?

In that vein, is this really Bakelite, or is it perhaps Catalin? It's my understanding Catalin is virtually the same, but maybe a bit more durable and the more likely candidate for bright colors.

Here are some pics before I do any cleaning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigMark83, BigD, CrustyCat and 10 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

If I'm wrong, I'll get corrected. But I think it was @twhite who came up with the idea and @Jayaruh has been using it in his Enders. Basically using an original blade, modified to act as a shim for an injector blade.

RyX, Edison Carter and 120inna55 like this.
  3. 120inna55

Truer words, brother. Truer words...

Maybe one of these gentlemen will chime in.

Hembree, Edison Carter and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Nice one, by the way.

Hembree, Edison Carter and 120inna55 like this.
  5. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

That is one sweet looking razor. Very nice.

Hembree, 120inna55 and Edison Carter like this.
  6. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

Very Nice, Never Saw one before!

Hembree likes this.
  7. alesmv

alesmv Member

8. brit

brit in a box

cool razor..

9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Case looks like simple clear styrene, should polish up fine with most any kind of metal polish.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Is a regular injector blade too small?

Frijolero likes this.
  12. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Proline B20 is standard size. P series Proline are Artist Club type. Some other standard size injector blades are a fraction of a mm too snug in the Enders though -- at least in mine-- which is why I recommend the Proline B-20..

Frijolero and 120inna55 like this.
  13. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Sweet looking razor, ya did good. Wish the original Enders type blades were still available though.

14. 120inna55

Thanks for the link, but that's more trouble than I'm willing to go through each time. I generally use rib-black blades 2 times max. I was more interested in adapting it to use injector blades (Personna 74) which give me a minimum of 8 shaves.

Thanks. Yeah, this is what @Jayaruh recommended.

Frijolero likes this.
  15. 120inna55

I hope my Personna 74s fit!

I have a green one en route that comes with NOS blades. I have no intention of using the Enders/Christy blades for anything other than an adapter to facilitate my injector blades.

Frijolero likes this.
  16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I've gotten a decent DFS using the Enders blades. Good luck with the Personna blades, hope they fit too. If not just get the Proline from Rakuten.

120inna55 and Frijolero like this.
  17. 120inna55

Well, I just tried to dry fit one of my Personna 74s. As you indicated, it's too snug. I ordered the Proline B-20s as per your suggestion. I'm really in love with my Personna 74s, but I assume this won't be a great loss as I don't see the Enders usurping my F-Type as my go-to. I just like the looks of it, so I want to try it. Hopefully, the B-20s will work out well for me.

Frijolero likes this.
  18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The advantage of the Proline equipped Enders over the F (which I love) is the ability to tune exposure to your liking. My last shave I set it up fairly blade forward and it was astonishingly good.

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Enders Speed Razor (30s version)/Schick Proline. Right now my favorite SE set up. Efficiency up the wazoo.[​IMG]

BigD, CrustyCat, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  20. 120inna55

My "B-20s" arrived yesterday. Vendor made a mistake and sent P-20s, so I will have to wait a bit longer to use these.

The green one came in today, so I cleaned them both up. Any idea how to get these yellow spots out? Heheh. Just kidding. I wasn't expecting the marbling. These really clean up nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brit, CrustyCat, BigD and 4 others like this.