What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. brit

brit in a box

cool razor sir..

2. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

I rate Herder's up their with Tiger,Puma Dorko and Otto Busch .Just great steel with almost perfect grinding .

3. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

When you find the Master of the Universe I will be happy to settle for World Master.

Real German Hollow Ground and really looks like it just left the factory.

Those are some classic lines.

The razor shaves great and is easy to maintain. It takes and holds a very sharp edge.

I hope I age as well as that razor.

Very cool

4. Keithmax

Vorpal (Gold Dollar)
    IMG_6289.jpg

lloydrm, brit, mrchick and 9 others like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you, Gary.

6. Primotenore

Article Team
    [​IMG]
    Ralf Aust 5/8

lloydrm, brit, Keithmax and 11 others like this.
  7. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Kikuokan (Tamahagane)
    Declaration Grooming Pure Lavender
    homemade badger-Maggards SHD knot
    Myrsol AB

This is a serious razor, thick spined, dead quiet shaving and it takes an exceptional edge. If there is a professional grade razor this must be it. It's made to shave, kinda like the"Yamamoto" of straights. My last "new" razor that was also gifted to me by a member here. Outstanding shave this
    morning. Have a good one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    lloydrm, brit, Primotenore and 11 others like this.
  8. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

5CD184DB-E9F8-4297-BC38-39E1DDB93622.jpeg

St Joanis ‘Le Triomphe’ frameback, MdC fougere lathered with the TOBS brush, and finished off with Myrsol AB. Great shaving razor, it handles and shaves very much like a Dovo Bismarck that’s been put into non-chunky scales. Shave was great! And probably the last of the MdC test, yesterday’s shave used 0.5g, so the consistent results so far are enough for me to say 400 shaves from a 200g jar is very much possible. I’ll have today’s usage posted tomorrow.

A note for our friends across the water in the Isles, the English Shaving Company in Sheffield carries the jars of MdC, and while the prices are close to what the MdC site charges, shipping seems very reasonable, and shipping is a large percentage of what one jar costs to obtain.

I’m ready for some soap and brush variety!

lloydrm, brit, Primotenore and 10 others like this.
  9. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

5/8 Maher and Grosh Radium Steel Toledo Ohio
    Had a great shave with this Vintage blade.The whiskers just vanished .I think she is a quarter hollow blade .
    rps20190321_211254_865.jpg

brit, Briscoe, Karl G and 10 others like this.
  10. Keithmax

Dovo Bismarck 2

IMG_6292.jpg

lloydrm, brit, Briscoe and 12 others like this.
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    Framebacks are interesting. Are they two pieces of steel, welded together? Is there an advantage? Disadvantage? Or, is it purely aesthetics?

brit, oscar11, Karl G and 4 others like this.
  12. Primotenore

Article Team
  13. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

6/8 Sterling
    Luna Shave Soap
    homemade syn.-Hawk knot
    Myrsol Limon

I delight in these American razors when I find them. They're usually inexpensive, well ground, good steel and take a very nice edge.They might lack a bit of heft and some of the other tangible qualities of high quality razors but are fine shavers in their own right. I'm getting together with some old high school buddies for lunch today and did a one pass shave this morning. I think I'll be doing more one pass shaves that way I can shave daily. With a good 2 pass shave I just need to shave every other day. I'm getting old and have a lot of soap to use up, lol. Have a good one. I haven't used this soap before, shave and post shave went well, pretty good stuff.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    lloydrm, brit, Briscoe and 9 others like this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

D8BED7B1-E499-4A07-A6AA-F108CF4B6515.jpeg

A razor hone shootout this morning, the razors are both hollow 6/8 German razors, a Simmons Hornet and a Dovo Bismarck. Honing details are in the honing theead. The soap was Santa Maria Novella lathered with a Simpsons 58, and Myrsol Agua Balsamica finished up.

Both shaved well enough, but the Dovo, honed on the green Hatahoshi, won for smoothness. Not uncommon, usually the very yellow stones (kiita) aren’t all that fine and one that’s a true razor finisher is quite rare. The Japanese named almost everything about the appearance of their natural water stones after things in nature, and kiita means ‘yellow board’ because when several were laying say on a dealer’s table, they looked like pieces of yellow pine planking!

lloydrm, brit, Briscoe and 9 others like this.
  15. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Hey Primo, yes they are two pieces of steel. They’re not usually welded, the ‘frame’ is usually swedged or attached to the blade by high pressure. Also the frames are usually not hardened steel, and in the olden days the frames could be brass, bronze, or even ivory. I usually tape the spines on these to prevent the unhardened frame from wearing excessively, same as I do the iron side of a Japanese kamisori.

These were common long ago for several reasons. They were very economical with high quality steel which we tend to forget was quite expensive, especially before the Bessemer process. They didn’t require much skill to make, the blade is mostly just a tapered cross section piece of flat steel. This was also a way to make a thinner razor before hollow grinding was discovered.

A good one shaves really well!

Keithmax, lightcs1776, Karl G and 6 others like this.
  16. Montalvani

Montalvani Well-Known Member

Jenes Sándor Giant Silver steel 8/8” 1/4 hollow
    [​IMG]

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

lloydrm, mrchick, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    Interesting, thank you.

18. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Nice image @vitor.rodrigues.branco - I like the dark ‘low key’ effect! And the razor is nice too....

Cheers, Steve

19. Montalvani

Montalvani Well-Known Member

Thank you Steve

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

TestDepth, Steve56, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  20. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

What ever superlative comes to mind - that’s what this shave was. Easy as pie and close, close, and close. It’s a special hone job from my friend @Billyfergie.:happy088:
    I’ve never had a better shave from my Nordic Queen. And that’s saying a lot. :happy036:

Hot water preparation
    T&H Ultimate Comfort PSO
    Castle Forbes Lavender Shaving Cream
    Savile Row 3824
    C.V. Heljestrand aka The Nordic Queen
    C.V Heljestrand
    AOS Lavender After Shave Balm

CV Heljestrand CVH TH CFL SR AOS.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

brit, oscar11, mrchick and 9 others like this.