Gillette Red Tip Color, My Way

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimjo1031, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I'll send you pics in a few. Is your Blue tip a really nice one?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Pretty good, most of the is paint still on it.

brit likes this.
  3. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I have two pretty pristine blue tips. And one really nice case. The other case I see both hinges are broken and the top has a crack.. I could send you my good case and a blue tip if you would see if you can do anything with my 41 Ranger Case. I was going to contact you about that at some point. Anyway, the blue tip is a beautiful razor. Based on looks it is my favorite razor Gillette ever made. However. It's too mild for me. The two I have I never used for fear of oxidation. I tried a beater I had a few times and gave it away. I have admired your case restorations for awhile and hoped maybe you could make mine look more presentable. The razor itself is very nice, though it would look better if Chris replated it. Anyway....ill send you the nicer of the two cases and razors anyway. They are just sitting in a drawer here and my wife is on me to downsize my collection. Let me know about your case restorations fees. I'll send a pic of that too.

Frijolero and Herm2502 like this.
  4. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Wow! Looks great. My red tip is in the mail...lol

Herm

brit and jimjo1031 like this.
  5. jimjo1031

Thanks Herm.

Herm2502 and brit like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Looking good, Jim.

7. jimjo1031

Thanks Jim.

brit likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096: Looks great, but the important question is how do you like the shave?

9. jimjo1031

Thanks Keith. Only used it once, Bolzano blade, excellent shave.

Enrico and brit like this.
  10. pj3r

pj3r Well-Known Member

Nice work!

Poslano sa mog SM-A600FN koristeći Tapatalk

11. spot705

spot705 Active Member

Excellent resto! The etch prime and baking are steps that a lot of people skip. Those are the steps that make it hold up to use.
    I used a red tip this morning and it is one of my favorites!

12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Looks great!

brit, Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.
  13. jimjo1031

Thanks guys.

14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Looks good to me Jim. :happy088:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  15. jimjo1031

Thank you Douglas.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  16. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

If you prefer your razor handles to have simpler checkering patterns like the Blue Tip - as do I - you might also like the TV Special version of the Super Speed that was brought out just for 1958. Despite being only made for one year they're fairly easy to find...

[​IMG]

The TV Specials shave like a regular Super Speed; a tad more aggressive than a Blue Tip. They also have a distinctive case, quite unlike any other Super Speed.

Oh, and keep in mind that most of the replaters won't touch a Blue Tip because of the (unplated) aluminium handle; same with the earlier aluminium handled Black Tips.

brit, gorgo2, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Contact Chris at www.razorplate.com he did an amazing job on one of my Black tips.

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  18. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

As far As the replating I was talking about the Ranger. I suppose myvwording was a little confusing.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  19. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Yes,

Chris' website states "No service is offered for zinc-alloy (Zamak or pot metal), stainless steel, ferrous or aluminum razors".

As far as vintage Super Speeds goes that includes Blue Tips, '51-'52 Black Tips (aluminium and steel handled) and probably '66 and onwards Black Handled.

20. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

I have had several razors replated by Chris, and have had numerous conversations with him regarding the can's and cant's.

I doubt I would send a razor anywhere else, except for the black beauty which I hope to have plated and powder coated at Razor Emporium.

Sometime I will post before and after (cleaning) pics of my TV Special. I was amazed at how the razor and case came out using mainly hot water and Dawn.

The razor was barely visible through the case it was so filthy.

gorgo2, Douglas Carey and jimjo1031 like this.