Your Pipe of The Day.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by KcHighLife, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

I'm wishing for the best possible outcome for the surgery, and a speedy recovery.

A little over a month ago I had cataract surgery, they told me not to lift anything over ten pounds for a week. The wife is starting to get suspicious of that excuse.

AGHisBBS, BamaT and RyX like this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Thanks! Pretty much over the surgery, but will be dealing with a couple of issues related to prostatectomy for 6 to 12 months. The pathology report showed that cancer had gone through the wall of the prostate in one area, but initial testing in lymph nodes doesn’t show that the cancer had spread. Still may be facing radiation; I’ll Find out about that in a couple of weeks when I get the results of additional testing.

AGHisBBS, Erik Redd and RyX like this.
  3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

For someone that normally likes straights and half bents, this is a serious departure for me. When Pipes and Cigars had their “Peterson Roulette” recently for $59, I couldn’t resist. You picked straight or bent from their Dublin Edition series, and they picked one for you from that. They had some nice bents, so I decided to chance that and got the deepest bend pipe in my inventory. Smoking it now for the first time, and enjoying it. For such a deep bend, the draft hole is dead on the bottom. Nice thick bowl, and is a cool smoker.

I contacted Russ Oullette at Pipes and Cigars, asking for a couple of recommendations for blends that would be close to McClelland Blackwoods and Dark Star Flake, 5100, and Frog Morton. He came back with several from The Sutliff line. First up is Sutliff Matured Red Virginia 515 RC-1, a bulk that is similar to 5100. I like this better than 5100! It is similar, but has more depth and complexity, at least to me.

Other recommendations were Sutliff Crumble Kake Red Virginia, Sutliff Stoved Black Virginia 507-S, Sutliff Crumble Kake English #1, and Lane HGL bulk as a replacement for Frog Morton. My son is currently smoking the Sutliff Crumble Kake English #1 and is really liking it. More Sutliff reviews to come, but so far looking like a good replacement for my beloved McClelland Virginia blends.

81926C3F-DD27-40A5-A975-23E4FADE14A0.jpeg

Lo'Gosh, AGHisBBS, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. The-Pipe-Smoker

The-Pipe-Smoker Well-Known Member

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

POTD 02242019.gif
    Spring time it trying to happen here. A bit of Lane Limited 125th Anniversary in the Rossi Vittoria Prince a couple days ago. It was warm and wet then. Now it's wet and cold again.

Lo'Gosh, brit, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  6. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Interesting thread. Brings back memories of granddad sitting in his chair and with pipe in hand.

brit, BamaT, AGHisBBS and 1 other person like this.
  7. Erik Redd

It's March, so it's time for the meers…
    [​IMG]

Lo'Gosh, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Sutliff Matured Red Virginia 515 RC-1 in the Peterson Dublin Edition XL 12, the Watson shape from the Sherlock Holmes series.

52E4EE04-DB9C-4326-8141-574F41901B06.jpeg

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Mardi Gras passed now, Spring time in full bloom. The azaleas giving it their best effort! Same pipe and tobacco - Rossi Prince & last of the LL 125th. The Vittori will get a through cleaning in preparation for it's next dedicated blend. That's one of my favorite coffee mugs, too.
    POTD 03112019.gif

Lo'Gosh, brit, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

OGS in a 1970’s era Charaton. Shown with a Peter Stokkebye tamp tool given to me by Eric Stokkebye at an annual pipe event at The Briary. Not that it is a really expensive item! Sorry for the washed out picture, sun was bright!

FAAD5664-A738-4A8F-A053-762254C85911.jpeg

RyX, AGHisBBS, Lo'Gosh and 2 others like this.
  11. Lo'Gosh

Lo'Gosh Well-Known Member

Howdy folks! How is everyone? Haven't had a computer for a while, so I've been gone, but glad to be back!

Just sitting on break enjoying some John Bull in a new to me pipe that I don't know a lot about, lol. Hopefully when I can put up a pic later, one or more of you might have a bit of knowledge on it. The name is faded, so I can't tell what it says for sure, but it starts with a Co by the look of it.

RyX, BamaT, Erik Redd and 1 other person like this.
  12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Comoy is an initial guess. Is the country of manufacture still legible? And welcome back!

AGHisBBS, Erik Redd and RyX like this.
  13. Lo'Gosh

Thanks! =)

No, sadly it is not. I polished it a bit more and it looks like it says Copenhagen. And Imported Briar is somewhat legible on the opposite side of the shank.

Not sure if Copenhagen is where it was made, the model or the maker.

RyX, AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  14. Lo'Gosh

Just wondering (and please let me know if it's not ok to be inquiring or if I need do so in a different thread), if anyone would happen to have any empty tobacco tins they are willing to part with? Preferably the squared kind from tobaccos like Orlik and Samuel Gawith and the like. Need them for a project I am working on.

RyX likes this.
  15. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

I don't have any right now but similar tins are available new on EBay for a modest price. Good luck with your project!

RyX likes this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Normally I keep one tin of every tobacco I try then chunk them from that point. But I’ll look tomorrow and see if I can find one or two.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  17. Lo'Gosh

That'd be awesome! Thanks bud. Trying to put together some fire kits (old school flint and steel), and just though actual used tobacco tins would give a nice touch. Figuring to use some for raffle prizes. Might do one on here. Anyone wanna learn how to light a pipe with flint and steel?! ;)

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

I would like to see that! My grandfather was a rock hound and I've inherited a few of his finds from around the world. One is a reddish dense glossy rock as big as my head. I think it's chert, jasper, or flint since he was interested in flint knapping and Native American arrow heads.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. Lo'Gosh

It's pretty cool, and a lot easier than you would think once you get the hang of it. A good way to see if its a piece of chert or flint or similar stone (flint is actually a type of chert), is to get a good piece of high carbon steel, and try striking it. So long as the rock is not valuable to you in any way! You will also need it to have a good sharp edge to properly shave the steel.

Here's a pic of my fire kit.
    fire kit.jpg

BamaT, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  20. Erik Redd