SOS: March 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by ram57, Feb 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

What a lineup!!!!

2. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Dubl Duck Goldedge 8/8
    M & F L-7
    Art Of Shaving Tallow Lemon
    Pinaud Special Reserve

35C56BDD-B8B8-48CA-B944-DC688C151B30.jpeg

3. brit

brit in a box

awesome, very cool set ups and pics..

clint64 and Tim Spencer like this.
  4. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Love, love, LOVE this, Jamie! Each one if absolutely perfect!

clint64, TommyCarioca, brit and 2 others like this.
  5. 120inna55

Grooming Dept | Molten (Lusso)
    Leo Frilot Captain Marvel | AP Shave Co. Cashmere 30mm
    Gem Damaskeene (1914-1915) | Gem Jr. Elite "Ivory" Handle (ca. 1906)
    Avon | Clint

[​IMG]

Grooming Dept's "Molten" is for smoke fans only, but it's not a one-trick pony. Upon lathering, it's an abundance of thick, smoky, birch tar, but intertwined with a subtle warm honey. As the birch tar plateaus, bitter citrus pierces through briefly before succumbing to dry and sharp rose. Upon final rinse, the smoky elements rapidly dissipate but there's a lingering naturally sweet, sun-baked alfalfa and toasted oats.

This was my first use of Grooming Dept's "Lusso" beef tallow base that features Jersey cow milk among a litany of other skin-friendly ingredients. I test lathered the evening before and found it actually requires a generous amount of water, but it has a breaking point in which the lather slings off the brush. As usual, this test lather makes for a more enjoyable shave when put into practice. A rich creamy lather is easy to attain even with my notoriously hard water. While initial and residual slickness are both high level, Lusso doesn't quite attain the status owned by their "Mallard" base. Post-shave, however, is right in line with Mallard and thus places it in the among the upper tier artisanal soaps.

While Molten shares very little elements with Clint, it doesn't matter because the soap's fragrance is gone within minutes. The smokiness ultimately put me in the mood for a rugged leathery musk fragrance. If you are a fan of Aramis-types, I highly recommend you pick up a vintage set of Clint. The cologne is certainly richer than the splash and seems to have a bit more old school musk. I picked this up on the recommendation of Phoenix Shaving proprietor Douglas Smythe, and for that I'm grateful.

6. EzraCobb

EzraCobb Well-Known Member

Thanks Matt! I appreciate it coming from the master :happy036:

clint64 and Boru62 like this.
  7. EzraCobb

Awesome! I also got a NOS bottle of Clint a while back, amazingly new from a Amazon seller, its sold out now... but Clint is great musk, definitely retro with no apologies

clint64, Bobcat, brit and 2 others like this.
  8. 120inna55

I may actually prefer it over Aramis.

clint64 and brit like this.
  9. EzraCobb

03-28-2019
    Jamie's Shave of the Night.

1. Hot shower, palmolive family bar soap. PAA Porthos shampoo puck.
    2.PAA pre shave jelly.
    3. CROWN KING PORTHOS SHAVE soap.
    4. Jayaruh Tost 2018 Synthetic, metal ring and coin by Mr. White.
    5. EVER-READY 1912.. New CVS Carbon blade.
    6. Crown King Porthos aftershave/cologne.
    7. CROWN KING Porthos star JELLY.

[​IMG]

10. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

March Madness!!

March 28
    Razor - Van der Hagen TTO (Weishi)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum
    Brush - Omega 10060
    Post - Alum

Back to the Mild VDH razor and ASCO blade for the third go-round. I chose Jeeves Bay Rum and the small Omega boar for the fine lather and was ready to see how this blade from Lord finished out. The Big Ben, a more prominent name in blades, didn't really make it through three shaves. Well it did, but not comfortably. Since both are Lord products, we'll see what happens.

I did note that the Asco was better on the second shave than the Big Ben was so I felt there was a good chance of success. And, after three passes I'm happy to say that this blade did indeed outperform its better known cousin. Near-BBS, smooth shave and quiet alum. Doesn't get much better than that.

With three shaves to go this month I'm going to take tomorrow night and perform what has to be considered the acid test for the theory that all blades are more or less equal in a shavette. Several of you earlier correctly surmised my plan.

[​IMG]

Rather than take a tiger by the tail, I'm going to put it in a shavette and see it if shaves. For the newer members who haven't seen a Tiger before - this may be the worst blade on the planet. The only one that I would put on this level of bad, and perhaps worse, is the Flying Eagle. I haven't seen a Flying Eagle in the wild in a couple of years, which is a good thing. Not sure about Tigers, but I do have one still in my stash. Along with several of the "Quick Tiger" Chinese knock offs that were equally bad. So, one way or another, we're putting a Tiger in a shavette and trying for a shave. Tune in tomorrow. Same forum, same thread, same idiot with a razor in his hand. Have a great Friday!

[​IMG]

11. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

That brush handle, especially, the colours, is superb! :happy088:

clint64 and 120inna55 like this.
  12. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

29 March 2019

* Blackbird Black Oxide SB 101
    * Wizamet Iridium Super
    * Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band
    * Jabonman/Eufros Sandolo
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Razor: ‘41 Gillette Aristocrat
    Brush: 38mm Frank Shaving Badger in a 30mm casing
    Cream & Balm: AOS Ocean Kelp
    @Jorvaljr had such a beautiful Aristocrat earlier, I had to join the fun. :eatdrink047:
    9CCFAC9B-F68E-4F2D-BA42-EEAF62F4FA46.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

14. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

That’s a beauty. A great setup. It’s a been awhile since I used my ocean kelp. Now you’ve inspired me.

clint64, TestDepth and Edison Carter like this.
  15. novicz

novicz Well-Known Member

Merkur 15c, Gillette naset blade, Abbate y La Mantina soap, la Maison du Barbier shaving brash, Reuzel aftershave

[​IMG]

16. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

FRIDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Razor - Edwin Jagger "Kelvin"
    Blade - [​IMG] *6th Shave
    Lather Brush - Vigshaving Nylon Synthetic
    Suds - Pacific Shaving Co. Shaving Cream
    Aftershave - Pacific Shaving Co. Aftershave Balm
    Deodorant - Herban Cowboy "Unscented"
    Fragrance - Acqua di Parma - Blu Mediterraneo - Ginepro di Sardegna

Should be a great spring shave since it's a cooling shave cream & balm. The scent is perfect for this time of the year.

17. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Date: 29 March 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
    Brush:- Platypus P&C LE 2017 24mm Fan Manchurian White
    Soap/Cream:- Mitchell's Wool Fat
    Razor/Blade:- Rockwell R4 / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #13
    Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree, Lavender & Peppermint / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
    Fragrance:- YSL L’Homme

[​IMG] 2 more days to go!! for the whole month of Mitchell's March Wool Fat shave

18. Tim Spencer

That is a sweet looking set. Love the way it all was laid out for the picture.

clint64, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  19. Tim Spencer

I haven't seen any complaints about getting 'stuck' with Mitchell's Wool Fat. Doesn't sound like it was that tough of a month.

20. Tim Spencer

Beautifully preserved Aristocrat.

clint64, TestDepth and brit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.