How to set a knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BigMark83, Mar 29, 2019.

1. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I just ordered a brush handle and will need advice on setting a knot. I'll buy the knot within the next week. My questions are 1. What is the best "glue" to use? 2. How do you ensure the knot is set evenly? , and 3. How much glue should you use?. I've wanted to refurbish an old brush for a while, but I lack the proper tools for the job so I decided to do this. @oscar11 I'm counting on you ;). Also, it'sbored for a 26mm but I'm going to use a 24mm. The depth will make the loft my desired 2:1 ratio.

Frijolero, AGHisBBS, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I use two part epoxy, it doesn't take much. Slow cure or fast cure, doesn't matter, but I prefer 15 min in case I have to adjust it.

3. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

What jimjo said. +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. BigMark83

Can I buy it on Amazon? Also I assume you just eyeball the knot? Its going to have wiggle room, afaik.

5. jimjo1031

It's available most any place, like Walmart and other stores. I sometimes get it on Ebay, sometimes cheaper there. I like the one made by Bob Smith industries as it's been very good on R/C airplanes, very strong. But there are others like Devcon.

6. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

He is right.

7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

You can also buy it at Home Depot.

8. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

You only need a pool the size of a nickle, any more than that and the epoxy will seep into the knot and jack it all up.

You can also use rubber cement for a less permenant setting. That way if you don't like the first result, you can yank the knot and start over.

9. BigMark83

@jimjo1031 , thanks. I ended up buying some JBWeld 15 minute epoxy on Amazon. Now I need to wait for all three to show up.

10. BigMark83

Is it difficult to get the knot to sit evenly in the opening, or am I worrying too much?

11. jimjo1031

If it goes all the way in to the bottom of the knot, glue it and adjust it before it sets, it's what I do.

12. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I usually drop a quarter or two into the bore. The coins add heft and provide a nice shelf for the knot to stand upon.

Frijolero, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  13. BigMark83

The loft will be fine, I mean "side to side".

Frijolero, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Not stepping on toes as it sounds like @BigMark83 has this well in mind, and soon in hand. Mind if I drop a couple photos and mine own advice?
    I saw two types mentioned. Two part epoxy will set hard. That JBWeld also has a metallic component that's going to hold for the life of the handle and then some.
    I've used clear Silicone tub caulk. Got to give it time to set, like over night or 24 hours. It's got a mold resistant lifetime grip promise. Being rubbery rather than hard/brittle it'll make possible future knot changes easy.
    Silicone.gif
    If the bottom of the socket and knot are flat, they should come together and align.
    Plenty for either kind of glue. When you mash the knot in, the bottom will still have a layer and some will squish around the edges. Too much and it'll get on the fibers. Consider using a wrap of low tack tape to keep stray glue off the knot or brush handle.
    F. waiting.gif
    With a 24mm knot & a 26mm bore you'll only have 1 mm free space to fill with glue. That's good because if it was tight no glue would touch both handle and knot on the sides.

mvd, Frijolero, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I also use the silicone to set my knots. Trust me, even with silicone it isn't easy to get the knot out. i put a thin layer in the bottom of the handle socket and a thin layer on The bottom and sides of the glue plug on the knot. Press it in firmly and give it a little twist and leave it alone for 24 hours. I haven't had a knot come out yet and I've probably set half a dozen or more this way.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Frijolero, AGHisBBS, brit and 2 others like this.
  16. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hobby Lobby and Michael's are good places too. They both always have a coupon for 40% off one item. Just look it up on the phone and they'll scan it right from the screen.

To make sure it's even, stand it up it on a flat surface and rotate it.

brit, BigMark83 and jimjo1031 like this.
  17. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I also prefer to use a silicone. If I want to adjust the loft a few days later, or a week later, or want to use the knot in a different handle or want a different knot in that handle, I can pull the knot out without destroying either.
    If you try the silicone route and don't like it, pull it out and use the stuff you ordered. If you use the stuff you ordered, you won't be pulling the knot out.

RyX, Frijolero, brit and 1 other person like this.
  18. BigMark83

So many people recommend silicone I might just use it.

RyX likes this.
  19. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

It's a great choice for a first run, but easily worthy for a 50th run at re-knotting a brush.

Linuxguile and BigMark83 like this.
  20. BigMark83

Now I want to buy a Whipped Dog handle as well. I'll decide after getting my first one set if I'll want another MR SHD knot.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Linuxguile, brit and RyX like this.