April 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Mar 31, 2019.

?

Is Arko on the menu for you this month? Or Adjustable?

1. ARKO BABY!!! EVERY FREAKING SHAVE!!!!

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. ADJUSTABLES BABY!!! EVERY FREAKING SHAVE!!!!

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. Arko is a part of it but not every shave.

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  4. Adjustables sometimes but not every shave.

19 vote(s)
    46.3%
  5. What's Arko??

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Adjustable - what??

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  7. Just hand me my cookies and be done with it.

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  8. I want extra ice cream on my cookies for ignoring ice cream in the last poll.

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  9. Can't we all just eat cookies and ice cream and get along???

17 vote(s)
    41.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I have made that stroke required with a straight , I just don't feel comfortable enough with it....Yet!

Bunch of alum on the fingers.
    Reach way over my head with the off hand, grab that fat cheek and pull it up tight.
    Lean the head way back and poke that chin up in the air.
    Raise the elbow, drop the razor to 6 o'clock and draw against the grain side to center with a restricted view.

Works like a charm, but so easy to let the wrist go too far and raise my angle dangerously high.
    The hairs pop right off. Feel much too close to peeling an apple right for me right now.

I attribute the thinness of the DE blade as the reason for better results with the shavette, and getting closer with n/s and s/n then I can vs. a straight. I can sharpen hunting knives so that they can shave. But they won't slice a carrot. Too thick.

So far those quick little subsequent (without relathering) buffing type moves get it to where me and a cotton ball are the only ones that know it's not good enough.

2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Great photo, love the brush and another Karve! :happy093:What OC plate are you using?

3. Hembree

Sounds like an exercise video.....but I think you have it figured out!

4. Hembree

Solid cherry blanks cut from a slab I have had stacked up for about 15 years on the farm. Something is in the works and updates will be coming in a week or two. Wood Blanks.jpg

5. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks for the kind words. It's the "D" OC plate.

6. Boojum1

Very sweet! :happy088:

7. Hembree

Thanks Mark.

8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Alice has probably looked at a dozen houses since Monday. I went yesterday afternoon quickly and Monday afternoon and have seen three of those 12 that were possible contenders. We ruled two of the three out once I saw them. The one we liked a lot has a pending contract contingent on FHA financing. The agent indicates it has a 50/50 chance of succeeding. We should know this afternoon if that deal goes through or not. If not, then we'll likely make an offer on that house. Otherwise, another house we were interested in was contingent but opened back up on the market last night, so we're seeing it this afternoon.

Not much inventory on the market at the moment so it's bit of a struggle. We may end up storing our stuff and staying with family and continuing to look if something doesn't pan out soon. We have to vacate our current house in a month.

9. PLAla

Very nice! Can't wait to see what you've got in the hopper.

10. PLAla

Beautiful setup and photo, Mark!

11. Boojum1

Very nice pic today Clint! That is one Primo Pennello amigo!

12. Boojum1

Thanks Perry! :happy088:

13. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

April 3, 2019

Razor: Gillette Sheraton
    Blade: Voskhod (1)
    Brush: Razorock Plissoft 22
    Soap: Williams

One of the razors that I've wanted to try/own for a while is a Gillette OC TTO. I recently stumbled on a BIN at what seemed a good price and snatched it up. It finally made it into my hands all the way from Canada on Monday and today is my first shave with it.
    IMG_0463.jpg IMG_0464.jpg

I assume that it is a Sheraton and not a Senator as there is no sign of any residual Nickel. As it is, I don't think that there is any residual Gold, either. :)

Overall, it is in decent shape though one of the doors is showing some laziness and I can fee a small hitch in the TTO mechanism. It seems to close completely and appears straight, so I think it is good to go. Any adjustment would probably require an expert like Captain Murphy.

As for the shave... I can definitely say that this is not your father's SuperSpeed. At first blush, it is a somewhat more aggressive beast with a lot more blade feel. Two passes definitely brought home the baby, albeit with some tingle from the Alum and one weeper. I lay both of those at my unfamiliarity with this razor though I could see it being more of a one-pass CCS razor for me.

It should make for an interesting razor to master. I think I may have to do a mini-focus sometime on the whole Gillette TTO family (as much as I have).

IMG_0465.jpg

14. Hembree

Great looking razor and congrats.

15. Boojum1

16. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Good morning all, looks to be warming up here in the woods, gonna be a nice day.
    Used another adjustable razor on highest setting (6) and 2 new feather blades, one for each pass. This razor has been here for a few months, its a knock-off of a Merkur Futur. Not a favorite because of the big head but it does shave nice.
    Tried out the badger brush with the Arko to see if I could get good lather. I will admit it works, but it takes more time to get it where I like it.
    2 full passes and I'm clean and smooth for the day. No issues and the gord is nice and clean, being careful on top.
    A Nevia finish is a nice touch.
    20190403_102302.jpg

Might look into a holder for the Arko soap in the near future.
    To all
    Enjoy!
    tp

17. Hembree

Nice shave and I need to get my clone out.

18. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

April 3rd
    Gillette Bostonian w Nacet (2)
    Soap Commander Endurance
    Omega '83/Poculi Beehive
    Thayers
    Vintage Avon Spicy
    IMG_1871.jpg
    A shave and a post on the same morning, must be a good day.
    I'm using this New Improved for a few more days and next up for neglected soaps is this excellent Endurance. Whipped up a great lather and had 3 enjoyable passes earlier this morning which left me quite smooth indeed. This really is a quality soap. Finished with the Avon Spicy in the '31 Greyhound Bus container to keep the Old Spice theme going.
    Have a great day, all!

19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Very nice, Terry!
    Beautiful tools you have going there, Jason!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

20. PLAla

Nice shave, Terry! Shave Nation has Arko containers but Clint has gotten some containers on Amazon that seem to work quite well. I think they're labeled as deodorant containers. (Can you imagine Arko deodorant??) :happy068:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.