An interesting observation

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lightcs1776, Mar 25, 2019.

1. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I have been using straight razors for a few months now. Last night I finished replacing my water heater and cleaning up the mess from the old one. Therefore, I decided to use my Old open comb safety razor. I had a miserable shave. I haven't had so many nicks, even before using a safety razor. It had a new blade and should have done well. So today I received a new straight razor and decided to shave with it, a 6/8 Oxley. I had an excellent shave, despite the two minor nicks. Not only that, but it was a smooth shave, unlike the safety razor, which left a lot of stubble. I am convinced that straight razors provide a more comfortable shave that is also more effective.

[​IMG]

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Chuck Naill, Karl G, Steve56 and 12 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I find the same results, except for nicks.

Karl G, Keithmax, Billyfergie and 3 others like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I found that, when i returned to each method of shaving, I gained muscle memory. As I returned to each method, the shaves just kept improving.
    Now I feel like I find the edge with whatever kind of handle is holding it.
    But a little time away always seemed to help my techniques improve.

Karl G, Frijolero, Herm2502 and 7 others like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    ...definitely news from the Dark Side...

Karl G, Frijolero, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Reckon Shaving with a Factory Blade is Barbaric After Experiencing Great Comfortable & Close SR Shaves...But...The Rolls Razor & the CV Heljestrand Straight Razor Designed Safety Razors are the Dogs Danglies..Both are Full Hollow Safety Straight Razors...They are Awesome Shavers..:)

Billy..:chores016:

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I found shaving with a straight improved my shave with safety razors.

7. lightcs1776

That is one of the great things I have also learned... just because something is best for me doesn't make it best for everyone.

Nice looking razors.

Edison Carter, brit, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  8. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

While I enjoy using a straight, there are times I prefer to use DE and SE razors from my collection. Today I used a Gillette New LC, the day before a GEM G-Bar aka Flat Top, and over the weekend, a Salamander 5/8. Maybe it's because I've been doing this for so many years, but I don't find switching between types cause more cuts and such.

Edison Carter, brit, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  9. lightcs1776

I think it was the combination of being in a rush and being worn out from replacing the water heater.

10. Lee Russell

Lee Russell Member

I never have experienced the difference that much but yeah! when choosing I would prefer Straight Razor over Safety Razor, it just a personal choice, what other guys think?

Karl G likes this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i am thoroughly enjoying the best shaves to date with my vintage gillettes. technique improves daily ; i can now shave daily ,comfortably with no irritation or ingrowns.with all but the old types,and that's just more time needed to dial them..i have spent a few bucks to get the quality condition examples ,so i am in no hurry to change razor types at present.i love looking at straight razors as some are works of art, may try one at some point.se/injectors are cool but remind me of carts so no longer interested in them .great to look at and learn about but i sold my schick e types and evereadys .if i wanted to change to a different style and sold my gillettes i would recoup my investment plus..but that's not my plan for now,the british ones from the 30s up to the 50s are the most historically significant to me and i would keep those if i switched or not..but most importantly they work nicely , near bbs consistently,look nice, hold their value or some value,and are durable work horses..bbs is bbs imo ,just different journeys to get there..i hope everyone enjoys what they have chosen ,as i have and do with mine,,thanks for listening and happy shaves..:)

Karl G and lightcs1776 like this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Just my suggestion, buy a couple of well kept Straight Razors, that catch your eye. Then send them out to be sharpened by a known professional . Also, pick up a new strop. With a little practice, BBS can be had, almost daily, without irritation.

brit and Karl G like this.
  13. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

When I started using a SR, my shaves with DE and SE actually improved.

14. lightcs1776

I'm not sure it would have mattered what I used at the end of that day. I probably would have had a miserable shave with any method as I was just worn out from the unexpected events of the day.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Karl G and brit like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir, when i do get into the learn a straight mode i will pm you for help and pointers.thank you again sir..:)

16. brit

brit in a box

i have heard that here before, thats cool..