SOS: April 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Tim Spencer, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Wish I could say that for the flick.

clint64, Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  2. TommyCarioca

TommyCarioca Well-Known Member

Rough shave - can't seem to get a comfortable run with the dart- but i smell good

Noble unscented soap
    Vladimir Ferdman tortoise synthetic
    Blackland Dart
    Voshkod ⚀
    3 pass

Alum
    Myrsol Limon
    Eleven ASB unscented

ADP Essenza[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

novicz, Jorvaljr, jimjo1031 and 22 others like this.
  3. TommyCarioca

Great scent. Soap solid too

4. TommyCarioca

Happy bday Tim

5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Continuing my Focus on the Focus R21.

5th shave on Astra green
    TOBS Sandlewood
    Aqua Velva overcoat
    Great shave.

To date I would say all of my shaves with this instrument have been pretty much equal. While #5 on this blade is noticeable, the result is still the same. I'll probably try it for another day and see what I get.

[​IMG]

While it is not necessarily popular to tout the attributes of a particular tool, I think this is excellent. I find the 'plasticdoodad' mechanism for holding the blade exceptional. In the picture below I hope you can see the blade locked in with pins and stops that keep the corners securely guarded and the edge slightly recessed

[​IMG]

My path with open edge tools was straights. I love them. Most were honed by one of 3 different individuals who have tens of thousands to their reputation. I'm not sure any of my straights will outshave this piece. Icertainly have a new target when I hit the hones.

If you have considered open edge shaving, but balked for any of the normal reasons, this could be what you are looking for. The Focus R21 gets the MaxHeadroom letter of recommendation. It'll set you back less than the cost of some soaps and uses blades you probably already have. It has nice balance handles well and the concept of 'riding the cap' almost fits. Here is a picture that may show what I mean.

[​IMG]

Your training will be comparable to a straight. I believe if you acquire this skill, you will notregret it. If you step in and it's not for you, your out $20.

Be well, shave free.

6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Since this razor requires considerable pressure, like Cartridge Razors, are you noticing any of the same problems? I found the more pressure used, the more irritation, and ingrown hairs.

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Arko Adjustable April

April 12

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy(9) CJB Greager
    Blade - [​IMG] (1) [​IMG] (?)
    Soap - Arko, VDH Scented Luxury
    Brush - Jayaruh #54, VDH Boar
    Post - Alum

Back to shaving tonight and I realized it's been three weeks since I shaved my head. My wife made a comment about it and I noticed my reflection in a door at one point today - and that silver glow from the sides of my heads. That will never do. Time to get rid of that problem. Of course, the only way to get rid of that much hair is the pain stick. I chose the CJB with the Feather Pro blade. I've used this blade a couple of times in the CJB but don't know how many. Doesn't matter as it's still perfectly sharp and usable. I made it through the head shave using the VDH Boar and soap for the simple and cheap lather. And when I say I made it through the shave I mean bloodless. I'm a bit surprised as I felt one bite on the back of my head when the angle dipped a bit, but no blood appeared. I'll take it.

As for the regular shave, the Fatboy with Rapira blade running on Arko and the JR54 brush - three passes of perfection to kill two days worth of growth without a whimper. Alum was quiet so no issues and I'm back to looking like the dashing young man I am. In my mind, at least.

Saturday is rushing toward us! Hope you have fun and relaxing stuff planned. If you're working, then I hope you have a great weekend with that as well!

[​IMG]

8. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Friday SOTN

I'm trying to stick with Arko April... But my face is definitely getting dried out. I need to up my moisturizing game I think. Another comfortable and wonderfully smooth shave with the British Flat Bottom New. If this continues, I may be posting a couple great Gillette New's in the classifieds . I hope everyone enjoys their upcoming weekend.

Josh [​IMG]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

novicz, Jorvaljr, jimjo1031 and 19 others like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

friday night shave,
    1945 #77 rfb new set.shark blade, omega 10005 boar.
    arko shave stick, the veg.. 20190412_195642.jpg

novicz, Jorvaljr, jimjo1031 and 20 others like this.
  10. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

13 April 2019

* Blackbird Black Oxide SB 101
    * Wizamet Iridium Super
    * Epsilon 2-Band + Doug Korn Faux Briarwood C7
    * Mystic Water Bergamot/Cedar/Juniper
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

11. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Thanks Gary!

clint64, Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  12. Hammer8

Hammer8 Well-Known Member

Blackland Brass Blackbird
    Polsilver SI (1)
    Murphy and McNeil Crann Bethadh
    Stirling Unscented Witch Hazel
    Wet Shaving Products Gaelic Tweed

Jorvaljr, jimjo1031, ram57 and 15 others like this.
  13. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Saturday SOTD
    [​IMG]

Mongoose razor
    Simms brush
    T+S Morocco shaving soap
    T+S Morocco aftershave

14. brit

brit in a box

very nice sir..

Hodge, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  15. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

SHAVE OF THE DAY
    20190412_210714.jpg

Prep: Occams Crushed Lime Pre Shave Soap
    Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
    Blade: Pol-Silver
    Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
    Soap: Perfectly Natural- Hop 2 It Grapefruit IPA

Had a amazing BBS shave this evening with Perfectly Natural Hop 2 It. This is their older formula and it makes a stringy glue like Low Structure lather similar to B&M Reserve. This formula takes a bit more effort to lather than the current formula, but i still really like the performance of this soap. Perfectly Natural Soaps come in a 3oz puck for around $9, the puck is very firm and would consider their soaps a decent value.

Scent is a mix of Grapefruit and IPA beer. The Hops almost give it a industrial yet natural vibe if that makes any scents. Its a potent citrus that paired well with the RP Admiralty balm.

As mentioned, the performance of this soap is very good. It seems to like a wetter brush to start with, can handle water but not overly thirsty. The soap has a high Aloe Vera content and as a result it even soothed my hand that got burned last night....very soothing lol. Skin felt wonderful aftewards and the Reef Point Balm was icing on the cake.

Hope y'all had a similar experience!
    20190412_211814.jpg

novicz, celestino, Jorvaljr and 20 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

awesome pics sir..

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  17. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Saturday 13th April

[​IMG]

Cold Water Shave. An early (rushed) start before a long Shift.

novicz, celestino, Jorvaljr and 20 others like this.
  18. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Date:- 13 April 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
    Brush:- Semogue SOC in Ash Wood Badger/Boar 24/53mm knot
    Soap/Cream:- Wholly Kaw ~ Jamestown Gentleman Special Edition
    Razor/Blade:- Karve CB 'C' / Vintage NOS Gillette Stainless #4
    Post-shave:- T.N. Dickinson Witch Hazel Astringent mixed with Tea Tree, Lavender & Peppermint / Lucky Tiger Aftershave & Face Tonic
    Fragrance:- Hugo Boss Intense

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Veddy nice. VDH and pain stick sounds fun for my shave before work tonight!!n

brit, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  20. Z-2

Z-2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Razor : Gillette Tech NDC
    Blade : Gillette Platinum (3)
    Shaving brush : Simpson Special pure badger
    Shaving cream : Karo Fresh
    Aftershave balm : Nivea cool​

novicz, madmedic, celestino and 19 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.