Found Old Shaving Sign!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Brian R., Apr 12, 2019.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    @bladeshark is the Everready expert here on the forum. He should be able to give you a firm date based on the pictures and typeset used in the logo.

Edit: ahh...he's more of a Rubberset guy.

I did some looking, and that sign probably dates from 1918-1924. Radio blades came out in 1918, and the company logo and the 'shaving man' image puts it in that time frame as well. You could probably narrow it down further by figuring out when that price was common in the UK.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    wristwatchb, brit and RyX like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

@Brian R. This is the first documentation I've found them sold in packs of 12.

https://books.google.com/books?id=-...sh made Ever Ready blades radio steel&f=false

Though the previous link does show 12 available in England at 35 (I think penny). This would have been store cost and probably resold to public at inflated price.

This all said I'd say your sign would date at around 1914; hard to be more specific with out more documentation.

Looking at the address on the sign versus dry good listing, it may have been produced at a slightly at a later date.

:eatdrink013:

wristwatchb, brit and RyX like this.
  3. Lee Russell

Lee Russell Member

WOW! Its looking Classic and beautiful! Congratulations Man for finding one! :)

brit likes this.
  4. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

It must not be that rare. There is one just like that on the bay right now...

brit likes this.
  5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

...not to mention the sharp edges and rust. Another reason to keep your tetanus shots up to date.

I do like this one, though.
    1.png

Frijolero, richgem and brit like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My favorite one might qualify for a good shave sign::

FINE FOR PARKING(as cars pour into the lot).

brit likes this.
  7. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

Welcome t the forum :)

brit likes this.
  8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

brit likes this.
  9. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member