Neck Problems

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Bruins17, Mar 3, 2019.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Bruins 17

I hope you enjoy it here.:)

2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

It would help to know what the brush bristles are made of (e.g. boar, badger, synthetic.) Badger is my favorite, but we all have different preferences. Also, it would help to know how you prep for your shave. For instance, do you shave before or after showering? Do you use any kind of pre-shave balm or oil? What shave soap do you use?

178-bplatoon likes this.
  3. Bruins17

Bruins17 New Member

I shave after a shower. I use a NIVEA face wash and just tried exfoliating with a scrub twice per week (only for a few weeks). I then use bloom water as a preshave and then lather up out of a Proraso tube. I've tried the preshave oil but I got the tip about the bloom water somewhere and that feels good. I get real good lather with the tube of cream.

Here is the brush I've been using since the beginning: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016I77CJA/?tag=thshde-20

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would say keep working on technique. Good skin stretching with short strokes and watch the pressure. Do not get to worried about blades. Prep is not as big a deal as some think. Your already ahead of the game not chasing BBS.

I will also add.... Welcome to the show!

5. Bruins17

Bruins17 New Member

Thanks for the encouragement!
    My biggest frustration is that because my hairs grow along my skin on my neck some will become ingrown if I go two days without shaving. Sometimes with a DFS I can't always see some of those hairs laying flat and so they get missed. Keep working I guess.

wristwatchb likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I use witch hazel for my touch up pass. It seems to help me get the stragglers. Not a magic bullet but it works for me.

7. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama!

8. Bruins17

Bruins17 New Member

Update:

Two things have changed: I've exfoliated twice a week using a facial scrub and I've also been using a size 24 synthetic brush (twice as big as my old one). I'm not sure which one of these changes are helping, but I have been having the best shaves the last two weeks. The lathering is so much more comfortable with that brush. My neck area has improved as well - less hairs getting missed. I've also gone back to the Astra blades which didn't feel great before. I hope this good luck continues! Thanks for all your suggestions!

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

There is a learning curve and you are riding it. Keep working on the direction of your razor. Everyone is different, you should find the direction that suits your whiskers.
    Don't worry to much about the blades, as you get better at technique in the next few months, you will find different blades that work better for you. Keep learning to ride the cap till it becomes second nature to you. The biggest problem I had to overcome was using to much preasure, that's how you have to do it with disposable razors. Can't do that with a DE.
    You are doing great.
    welcome
    tp

10. Al SHARPton

Al SHARPton Member

Sounds like you're figuring out what works for you. Took me a couple months to shave my neck well and no irritation with a DE. Trying different techniques and watching videos helped a lot. Now that I feel I've got the touch for it I can shave with any soap, blade etc... and get good irritation free shave. The straight is a different story, I'm still having trouble getting close on the neck. My hair grows the same as yours on the neck and I will not go ATG there. The face is fine in any direction. Good Luck!

11. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

SilverSwarfer likes this.
  12. Lee Russell

Lee Russell Member

I can Understand neck sometimes really create the problem for shaving! Well as above @Norcalnewb suggest try that! and also some different SR maybe that would help!