Which is the Best DE - Adjustable Safety Razor?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by johnnyflake, Apr 12, 2019.

1. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

I have Merkur Progress, Futur, Mingshi 2000s in my den. I had Gillette Slim before. My choice is The Progress in these four adjustable DE's.
    My shaves are better and smoother with Progress.

brit and johnnyflake like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I have the knockoff but it's the same size as the Merkur, shaves nice but the head is to big for me. Most razors shave about the same but they have little things that cause one to like or dislike them. You might try a PAL adjustable, they use Schick injector blades. The angle is closer to the Schicks that you say you migrate to. A good chioce is a Gillette Slim for a DE. They are a inexpensive razor and not to heavy.
    I like light razors that are open comb, so I might not be the best one to ask or listen to.
    Good luck John!
    tp

johnnyflake and brit like this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

For the record the Merkur has a noticeably wider handle (about 1mm) and is 26g heavier than the Mingshi/Q-Shave clone. Despite the additional weight i find the Merkur better handling.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Terry, brit and johnnyflake like this.
  4. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I appreciate all the input, thanks to all!

Right now, and I doubt it will change, I plan on buying a Merkur Progressive 500. I'll be looking for the best price, during the week.

Enrico, brit, Terry and 1 other person like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!!!!!

Terry and brit like this.
  6. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Thanks!
    Did not know that
    tp

jmudrick and brit like this.
  7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Had a look at it.
    Nice razor!
    tp

brit likes this.
  8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

There you go....Case closed!
    Congrats to all concerned....Heres more of the beautiful generousity that makes our shaving community so special!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

johnnyflake, Enrico and brit like this.
  9. johnnyflake

This is a perfect representation, of the brotherhood on this forum! Kudos to you my friend! I must pass on your generous offer.

brit likes this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I've been using my Progress on 5. What a wonderful shave. A baby can only wish his butt was so smooth.

Herm

11. Grick

Grick Active Member

Used a 1964 Gillette adjustable for about 7 to 8 years. Shaves were pretty smooth, but once I switched to the Merkur Futur, I never looked back. I got a bbs shave immediately. The Futur at 2 is as open as the Gillette at 9 and it still gives me a smoother and more efficient shave. I even shaved with a Feather at 6 and had no weepers or rashes. Whereas the Gillette used to bite me quite often. The Futur weghing 130 gram allows for a smooth shave and it's a delight. It's probably the heaviest razor out there. Though I don't own the Merkur Progress, I heard it's not quite as aggressive due to a smaller blade exposure than the Futur. But I don't really know.

Herm2502 and johnnyflake like this.
  12. Grick

Grick Active Member

You should also consider its big brother the Merkur Futur, see my post above. Hope that helped.

johnnyflake likes this.
  13. johnnyflake

I should receive my new Merkur Progressive tomorrow. I'll definitely be getting right into it, the next morning. I'll give it a week or so, using a couple of different blades and see what happens. I certainly may be considering the big brother, sometime in the future. I'll be trying Nacet and Silver Blue Blades. What is your choice of blade with the Futur?

Herm2502, Grick and Ron R like this.
  14. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

the best adjustable safety razor is my gillette slim 1968 :)

johnnyflake likes this.
  15. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

The best adjustable razor ever made was "my" 1962 Gillette Slim. ;) It slipped out of my slippery hand and I caved in the corner of the silo doors and never to be repaired. I bought a new one the next but it was never the same. :angry017:

johnnyflake likes this.
  16. Grick

Grick Active Member

Can't tell because I can adjust the Futur to mild and aggressive blades. A Feather at 3 and a Supermax at 5. That's what's so great about adjustable razors.

johnnyflake likes this.
  17. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

Good choice. I just got one a few weeks ago. I’m currently traveling with it and getting great shaves. I have a fresh PermaSharp.

I’ve had the Mergress, Variant, Futur, and still own a Fatboy, Slim, 6S and Black beauty.

I’ve found the Progress to be an all around winner in the modern Adjustable DE category. 6S and Fatboy are close. I don’t use the slims much anymore.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herm2502 and johnnyflake like this.
  18. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I'd like to know, what is the worst DE adjustable safety razor.

I bet most could get fine shaves with just about anyone's favorite.

What should we never use?

johnnyflake likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Ask @NCoxSTL about Rapira

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The Rapira definitely ranks up there. The old Soviet travel razor is on the "questionable" list. You can get good shaves, it's just how much discomfort and hassle you want to put up with.

Edison Carter and johnnyflake like this.