Do ya’ll find stiffer boars end up very soft when they break in?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by MR41, Apr 22, 2019.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I have an Omega 40033. It was the stiffest brush I had ever had, when I got it. Now after three years it will still destroy soaps and lather like a champ, but it is the softest feeling brush I have. I love that thing. I think it has broken in better than any brush I’ve ever had. Did things just work out well for me or is this ya’ll’s experience with stiff boars as well?

2. brit

brit in a box

my semogue 830 is one of the softest brushes i own after a year or so of owning it. my omega 10005 is getting there and still has backbone..love boar brushes and 2 band badgers..

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have the same model Omega and find your assessment to be accurate ... the tips do soften up nicely with use. :)

MR41 and brit like this.
  4. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I have an Omega 10066 that has softened up very nicely, but my Stirling boar is still as scrubby as the day I bought it. Not that I really mind!

brit and MR41 like this.
  5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

My SOC is rather soft, my Omega however is still nice n' stiff. I don't mind though as it's great for harder soaps.

brit and MR41 like this.
  6. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

Ditto. My Semogue 830 is my best feeling brush.

BigMark83 and brit like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

My Omega Pro experience is the same as yours, soft tips and will destroy soaps. A wonderful brush.

BigMark83, Enrico, MR41 and 1 other person like this.
  8. NTR

NTR Well-Known Member

Do boar brushers create a flatter - less fluffy - lather? Particularly when face lathering? I have a cheap Colgate boar brush that I purchased many years ago and never used until recently. I thought it was cheap - and therefore lousy - so when I started wet shaving around 8 months ago I bought a badger brush and used that.

I’ve been using the boar quite a bit now, out of curiosity, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it. I think it gets better with use. But it doesn’t seem to generate that Big Bang lather that I get with synthetics. EspecuLly noticeable when I face lather Stirling soap.

Is this a thing?