How many is too many?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by David09, Apr 18, 2019.

1. brit

brit in a box

very nice sir..

Frijolero and David09 like this.
  2. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Only if you feed them after midnight....
    ;)
    tp

Frijolero, Keithmax, RyX and 3 others like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

while there are more out there i like i am happy with these..but don't turn your back on them.. 20190419_094857.jpg

4. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Really, in terms of rationale, those I am using consist of a couple synthetics, a few boar(but all different), and low-lofted, small-knotted badgers, with one exception. 8 of the brushes are vintage brushes that I've re-knotted, The Duke was re-knotted due to shedding issues, the tiny Ever-Ready boar has the original knot in it, the Semogues and the Wee Scot, Vie-Long, and Rudy Vey are the only modern brushes being used without modification.
    As RyX mentioned, it is all about dialing in our preferences. In the beginning I grabbed a good variety of brushes based on handle or knot-size with every intention of re-knotting them, but some of the brushes were in a condition that begged to be spared the scissors, razor, and dremel bit. the ones not being used also serve as a great decoration and conversation piece. If I devolve into a minimalist, I'd like to think my leftover pieces can still be used as decoration pieces.

Frijolero, Keithmax, RyX and 5 others like this.
  5. David09

David09 Active Member

What do I win? A new brush???!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaT, Frijolero, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Well... the budget isn't what it used to be. So, we just have a cheap plaque with stick-on letters that hangs next to the main server. But, ya know... it's better than a stick in the eye.

7. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

I don't see any examples in this thread of anyone with too many brushes.

BaylorGator, Frijolero, RyX and 3 others like this.
  8. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

For me, 4 is too many. Honestly I could get by with one brush as most of mine sit unused.

BamaT, Frijolero, wristwatchb and 4 others like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My Dad only used one boar six days a week for 30 years.

FSword, BamaT, PanChango and 7 others like this.
  10. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Five more then I currently have .. "currently have" is a variable not a fixed number.

Frijolero, RyX, Rev579 and 2 others like this.
  11. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

You've got too many when you have to ask if you have too many, imo.

12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

You might want to reconsider....Every Turkish Barber (and they are World Famous for their shaves) will ONLY use Horse....Hmmm

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've considered horse hair. An aunt near Beaumont, Texas kept a couple pet horses and had taken in a couple rescues. She allowed me to trim some renewable resources.
    Horse tail hair.gif Not knowing the details, I only collected tail hair. Fortunately an uncle from the other side of the family shared a good sized hank of mane hair. So I've got the beginnings of a couple knots. Couple of times I've researched knot making but haven't followed through. My biggest question is what to use for the puck of glue to hold it together. If anyone has made a knot from scratch and wants to give lessons it would make a great thread!

BamaT, Hembree, Frijolero and 6 others like this.
  14. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Here's an article that might help:

https://theholyblack.com/blogs/news/80849604-hand-tied-horse-hair-shaving-brush-knot-start-to-finish

Do you happen to have an autoclave?

https://www.livescience.com/58667-shaving-brushes-anthrax.html

https://www.gordonbrush.com/horsehair-sterilization.php

RyX likes this.
  15. Joewa

Joewa Well-Known Member

Frijolero and brit like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

No autoclaves here, but maybe I could rent some time at a tattoo parlor. I'm aware of the anthrax issue and need for sterilization.

Tapatalk via LG

Frijolero, Enrico and brit like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

You only need about 20 minute in an autoclave to kill the anthrax spores. :sick013:

:eatdrink013:

Frijolero and brit like this.
  18. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Yes, Anthrax can bring it, but I'm more of a Metallica/Judas Priest/Ozzy/Iron Maiden fan. I guess I went through my metal phase a bit before Antrax.

Frijolero, richgem and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

sabbath/ priest/metallica here

Frijolero and b1hart like this.
  20. Billy Goatee

Billy Goatee Well-Known Member

Here's most... I need to find another rack.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Frijolero, BamaT, Leclec13 and 4 others like this.