Any bad experiences with zamac corrosion?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Apr 26, 2019.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Has anyone had a new or vintage zamac razor begin to rot?

brit likes this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

No I have not. I did buy a Edwin Jagger for the handle and the head had some rough places. It looked like it was handled a little rough.

gorgo2 and brit like this.
  3. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

My Cooper razor has some damage on it. Not sure it is zamac. I'll take some pictures tonight and see for sure.

gorgo2, brit and Hembree like this.
  4. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Pictures of the head. I believe the problem starts when the chrome is damaged. 20190426_193413.jpg 20190426_193358.jpg

5. brit

brit in a box

my lightly used 34hd looks like new ..

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have several Zamac razors, some for more than 5 years and I have never had a problem.

7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Both my Clix and the Cooper are raw/unplated zamac, and were used before I got them, but neither shows any sign of what's described as rot. Have read that it depends on which formulation of zamac is used...some mixes are much more corrosion-resistant than others and that under certain conditions zamac (like aluminum, which it contains) can develop its own protective coating.

Since both of these were likely made by/for Cooper, maybe they used the good zamac mix. I hope so but time will tell.

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have an old grafco open comb. It had some flea bites on it when i got it. They don't seem to be getting worse, but i don't use it very often. Primarily, because i don't want them to worsen.
    I had to edit, because i misnamed my grafco an adams.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    gorgo2 likes this.
  9. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

My 7 year old Edwin Jagger looks like it is brand new.

brit and gorgo2 like this.