Trying to pick a badger

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Rob206, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

They're all so tempting. And I'll probably end up with both at some point. It's just deciding on which one to get first. How would you say the knots compare between yaqi and Simpson?

Frijolero and brit like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have a Simpson 46 and where it is nice, it's also only a 20mm knot. Ask @Linuxguile his take on his Yaqi 2 band.

Frijolero, brit and Rob206 like this.
  3. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a fairly small brush. The knot size is given as 19mm, 20mm or 21mm depending on which website you visit, but it is super dense, beautifully hand made in the U.K. and great quality.

I have many larger brushes but this one produces far more lather than I could ever need.

4. brit

brit in a box

my badgers in order..simpson special best ,simpson commodore best,jr 282 maggards 2 band,razorock barrel 24mm finest badger, opal f200 with dc cosmetics 2 band fan.. 20190420_114652.jpg
    all great feeling brushes with good backbone..

Frijolero, Rev579, Linuxguile and 2 others like this.
  5. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I really can't wait until my 26mm knot from Maggards comes in.

Frijolero, brit and Rob206 like this.
  6. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Ok, change of plans. I'm just going to start collecting brushes. So I'm making a list.

7. BigMark83

That didn't take long.

Frijolero, Enrico, brit and 1 other person like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

9. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Well, as long as you are making a list, take a look at the Omega 11047 at West Coast Shaving. Currently it's only $11.96. It's a badger boar mix and it's a very small brush ( not so small compared to the Wee Scot though). It's one of the first brushes I got and it is still a favorite.

10. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Is the silver tip that yaqi uses the same as the badger in Stirling brushes? I remember reading in a post Stirlings are made by yaqi. Price is close, just curious how they compare

brit and Linuxguile like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Yes, Stirling brushes are made by Yaqi.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

brit and Rob206 like this.
  12. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

After changing my mind about 50 times and watching YouTube videos I finally decided on my first badger brush. Went with the 26mm from Stirling. Yaqi and a Simpson probably next [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hammer8, brit, Primotenore and 2 others like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I think you'll be very happy with your choice! :)

:eatdrink013:

brit, Linuxguile and Rob206 like this.
  14. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I would look at getting a really nice handle that you like and stick a Envy Shave Luxury Silvertip in there. It's pillowy soft and dense with nice backbone. Best brush I have.

brit, Enrico and Rob206 like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Great choice! You're gonna love it!

brit, Enrico and Rob206 like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

nice looking brush..

Rob206 likes this.
  17. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

The Stirling badger came last night. Wow, what a difference from boar. I used some shampoo and then shave soap to start defunking. It doesn't smell strong at all so it shouldn't take much. Badger funk is not nearly as unpleasant as funk O boar. Water retention is crazy. Can't wait to try it out for a shave.

18. brit

brit in a box

very cool sir, badger doesn't require as much soaking as boar as well, enjoy..

Linuxguile, Enrico and Rob206 like this.
  19. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I must admit that I never actually "soak" my brushes. I get them thoroughly wet under a stream of hot water, use them, squeeze out any excess water, give them a rub on a dry towel and then put them on a stand to dry thoroughly.

They still produce all the lather I could ever need and I have no issues with any loss of bristles.

brit, Enrico and BigMark83 like this.
  20. BigMark83

Not everyone soaks badger brushes. I've seen lathering tutorials where guys just wet it the brush just like you. I usually try to dry them out after use on a wash cloth, or even my post shave towel, but I try to do that with my natural hair brushes, boars included, sometimes I even do it with my synthetics. I just think that even though I rotate through them, the less water left in them, the better off and the longer they will last. I just believe in taking proper care of any tool, and a brush is just that. But I'm waxing philosophical right now :).

brit and Enrico like this.