What was your first safety razor, and do you still use it?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Hammer8

Hammer8 Well-Known Member

My first is a Merkur 33C. I still use is as my travel razor.

brit, bayercy, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  2. Tinmantoo

Tinmantoo New Member

My very first was a Schick injector around '69-'70. Had to be different than dad but wised up as my beard developed. First DE was around '73 and got a black handled adjustable TTO for Christmas (Old Spice gift set(s) included with mug & brush). Over the years I picked up 4 more Gillettes for "backups" at yard/garage sales. Don't think I spent more than $5 for the lot (super speed, flair, fatboy and a slim). The black went missing a long while back (maybe one of the kids) but still have the rest. Mostly use the slim these days.

brit, bayercy, PLANofMAN and 3 others like this.
  3. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

My first safety razor was the Vikings Blade The Godfather. I eventually PIFed it as I have many more razors that worked a lot better for me than The Godfather razor. I bought it in September of 2016 when I was beginning wet shaving.

4. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

While I was shaving this morning I was thinking of how long my Gillette Slim has lasted. Bought it in 1962 for $1.98 and it's still in near perfect condition, that's 57 years and it will last till my great grandchildren are old (I hope). I also still have my Dads Fatboy and my Super Adjustable that I bought back in 68, I think I paid $ 1.95 but not positive.

5. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

my first de from the pawn stars when they did there own de and I think I got it at ritaid or Walmart and yes once every so often I will use it.

6. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Van Der Hagan also uses the same razor with their brand name on it, I think Weishi makes the razor. With the right blade it's a pretty good razor.

PLANofMAN, brit and Hembree like this.
  7. Carson West

Carson West Well-Known Member

I can't remember that far back. It must have been a sharpened stone.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  8. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

Neither could we but we faked it.. ;)

Keithmax, brit, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  9. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

All I can remember it was a Gillette TTO, my father gave it to me after he found out I was using it.
    I know there was no case with it.
    The only thing my father told me about shaving was to clean up the razor after you use it, I guess that's the way he found out I was using it. He then gave me his brush & shaving soap. He replaced all of his stuff with an electric razor.
    What I can't figure out is how I started shaving on my own, not too many cuts and scrapes without somebody standing over me, today I read about guys who after months can't figure out how to shave, even with videos and all the info on shaving.
    And this shaving story started in 1958 when I was 16 years old. Got to go now, time for me to take my meds.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Keithmax, brit, MacDaDad and 2 others like this.
  10. MacDaDad

That reminds me ... :)

brit, stuartganis and PLANofMAN like this.
  11. ehsa

ehsa New Member

my first one was a merker progress which my son now has. john

12. Campion

Campion Active Member

I remember having a Gillette Slim, a Black Beauty, and at least 2 black handled Super Speeds in my first couple years of shaving in the 70s. I also remember using and enjoying the Trac II within my first few years of shaving. It was a good shaver. I want to say a Super Speed was my first, but I honestly can't remember. I remember using all of them. I don't have any of them today, although I have a beautiful Slim that I bought 7 or 8 years ago that I never use, and I have 3 black handle Super Speeds. One is brand new and never used, the others are in regular use- one in the cellar bath where I usually shave, and the other in the master bath upstairs off the bedroom. I probably own well over a dozen razors- mostly vintage Gillettes with a few Fatips and Merkurs- but those 70s-80s Super Speeds are used about 300 days a year.

brit, MacDaDad and stuartganis like this.
  13. MacDaDad

Just for Schiffs & Giggles, the next time you shave, break out that slim and give it a go. ;)

14. Carson West

Schiffs & Giggles is my favorite department store.

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  15. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Mine was a Schick Krona that broke after half a century of use! I do have a gold Centennial Edition Krona and an Eversharp Krona, but have not really used any withe the exception of the Centennial Edition for the last 4 months.

MacDaDad and brit like this.
  16. MacDaDad

If they only last 50 years, aren't they considered "throw-aways"? :)

jgreenepa, brit and stuartganis like this.
  17. jgreenepa

Yeah, I’m still pissed! :(

brit, MacDaDad and stuartganis like this.
  18. Carson West

I'd demand a refund. I hope you still have your receipt.

jgreenepa, MacDaDad and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

now a gillette tech from the 40s...;)..it would have lasted..

jgreenepa and MacDaDad like this.
  20. jgreenepa

That’s what I get for messing with that newfangled gadget. Should a stuck with dad’s Bowie!!

brit and MacDaDad like this.