Injector & SE Party !!!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bird Lives, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Autostrop B1 with a Feather stainless steel FHS-10 blade, shave 3.

Shave was almost as good as shave 2 but the shave was a lot more crunchy audibly wise. I also caught myself not maintaining the same shave angle all the way through. This blade should be good for at least 1 if not more shaves still.

asb1fs.jpg

Jayaruh, Bird Lives, Droo78 and 7 others like this.
  2. MaxG

MaxG Well-Known Member

My first ever SE shave today. I picked up a Gem from the Bay and took my maiden voyage this morning.

Ogallala Bay Rum soap, Semogue 1305 brush, and ended with Stirling Glacial Lemon Chill to finish.

The shave felt fine, but definitely left some damage in its wake. Will have to go slower next time, but I honestly don't know what was wrong with my angle.

C

Jayaruh, Boru62, Bird Lives and 5 others like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

May 7, 2019
    O.R.E.N.
    Feather Pro Super
    Shavemac D01 3 band
    Cold River Schapenmelk
    Dominica Grand Bay Rum

[​IMG]

BigD, Jayaruh, Boru62 and 9 others like this.
  4. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Yes, sir. The earlier models are are readily available. It's the later models that are apparently more sought after and thus more "rare". I doubt they shave much different, but the extra curviness and the metal spine is what caught my eye initially. Here's an album of my 2 (I'm still hoping to land a yellow one and maybe an ivory one. Of course, the ivory one will probably be butterscotch at this point.) https://imgur.com/a/7RmvauH

Boru62, clint64, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  5. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Tue 7th May

Cyril Salter / Maseto ED 2Band
    P & B Pall Mall
    ATT SE-G - modified
    Gem S/S [ 4 ]
    Floid Vigoroso A/S Lotion

A rather pleasant surprise today, as I had an extremely good Shave with the ATT Se-G . Previously I had not been getting a good finish around the neck but today something clicked, and as a result a good close finish in all areas was attained. My best Shave with this Razor since the bottom plate was modified for me by a friend , previously so mild I could not get a decent shave with it.

IMG_0478.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    BigD, Jayaruh, Boru62 and 11 others like this.
  6. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

What kind of GEM is it?

clint64 and Hembree like this.
  7. Killerflyingbugs

Menthol Monday with my Schick I2 and frozen tundra.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

BigD, Jayaruh, Ron R and 11 others like this.
  8. MaxG

MaxG Well-Known Member

It's a 1912. From what I can decipher from the web info, it's a fairly early one, i.e. pre-30's.

Really close, comfortable shave. But definitely left me some souvenirs on my neck.

Frijolero, clint64, brit and 2 others like this.
  9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

May 7th
    Razor: Gem Micromatic
    Blade: Gem PTFE (3)
    Brush: Grizzly Bay MaxFury
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: SC Fortitude
    PAA Galactic witch hazel
    PAA Star Jelly unscented
    AS: SC Fortitude
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

BigD, Jayaruh, Ron R and 10 others like this.
  10. Killerflyingbugs

I have not used a 1912, but I have a OCMM, and with that razor I have the cap almost flat on my face. A bit different than any of my DE razors.

Frijolero, MaxG, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  11. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Run the blade almost flat on the face. That is how the instructions said to do it. Also, sometimes you have to get creative with the angle.
    What kind of Gem razor?

12. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Going back to using the same setup all week. I think it is better for me , and let's me get to know the products in a more realistic way. IMG_20190507_081432_749.jpg

BigD, Jayaruh, Boru62 and 8 others like this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

1924 Shovelhead, Tibam handle. IMG_20190507_074538-01.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BigD, Jayaruh, Ron R and 9 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

nice shave Aaron..

Hembree, clint64 and ordinaryshaver like this.
  15. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Autostrop B1 with a Feather stainless steel FHS-10 blade, shave 4.

Best shave yet with this razor. The blade is definitely dulling out but in this case it is all about technique. I really concentrated on keeping a constant angle and using short choppy strokes. I know some guys like efficient razors but this one you have to do short chop chop chop type of strokes and if you do it at the right angle you slice hair not your face. If I had j-hooked under the jawline I would have gotten a perfect BBS shave with almost no irritation. I think a lot of what I thought was the most correct way to DE shave may not have been and will put the lessons learned on this razor and blade combo to practice with my DE and Gem SE razors and see if they apply once I am done here.

The best way I've found to find the cutting angle even if it doesn't feel like it is correct is to use my Micromatic open comb since it has about what I've found to be the best angle built into the cap, lay it flat on the cap on the face then cock the handle back so the front of the cap is flat on the face then visually line up the Autostrop using the blade edges on both so I know how much difference in angle I need to hold the handle then I start the shave trying to keep that all the way through and if necessary redo the process on each pass before I start. Once it becomes second nature I won't do this on each shave.

asb1fs.jpg

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

May 8, 2019
    O.R.E.N.
    Feather Pro Super
    Rudy Vey Rover with TGN Finest
    Proraso Cypress & Vetyver
    Guerlain Vetiver EdT

[​IMG]

Jayaruh, Ron R, Boru62 and 8 others like this.
  17. MaxG

MaxG Well-Known Member

It's a 1912. I'll attach a couple of pics from the listing I bought it from.

C

Screenshot_20190507-210343_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20190507-210334_eBay.jpg

18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

clint64, Killerflyingbugs and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

i see something on the sight and then get my razor box out and stare at my collection like an idiot..obsessed i say...

clint64 and Killerflyingbugs like this.
  20. MaxG

MaxG Well-Known Member

Do the pics give anyone an idea what "subtype " it is? It says "Brooklyn " under the cap, which I understand is a distinguishing mark.

clint64, Frijolero and brit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.