Which Shavette did you use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bama Samurai, Feb 6, 2018.

1. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

E1BDFC9F-96D6-484C-A91E-F4FDD1544D6C.jpeg

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  3. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Never tried a SR or shavette.how are they? Are they hard to learn? I don't have one yet and am a little afraid of them but am thinking of trying one...maybe....

4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

This shave dedicated to one @Terry , who word has it, has caved in to your humble servant's incessant carnival barking about this wonderful 'plastic doodad' edge forward shaving device.

Welcome to the Focus R21 Evolution revolution. May you find the same pleasure in yours that I found in mine.

Go ahead and load one of those Feathers in there (I like GSB) and start low and flat to the face. Start your stroke low and tip up the angle easy till you sense it cutting. Keep the water and the tunes off because the audio feedback is subtle because of the recessed blade holder.

[​IMG]

Was a little pressed on time so IM-Bombed me some Barbasol let down with water in my bowl.Only went for 2 easy passes, one WTG, one ATG. Rinsed off andgenerously splashed on my dad's favorite, Aqua Velva. Walkedaway feeling great. Not an issue, but I could've let the Barbasol down a little more.

Have fun, be safe.
    If you like it as much as I do we can start up The Max HeadroomChevette Shavers Assn :cool:

brit likes this.
  5. Edison Carter

If you go slow, easy and dedicate the time up front. I think you will find it rewarding, safe and pleasurable.

I started with straights and was a little afraid of my first shavette shave. Caution is your friend.

brit likes this.
  6. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Shavettes are more unforgiving than straights. I started with shavettes and it helped me with technique so that after 16 shaves the transition to straights was smooth. I didn't have a problem at all and had very few minor cuts and weepers that encouraged me to continue. Presently, I have 68 shavette and 68 straight razor shaves and have enjoyed it. You will cut yourself, but in time, they will not occur as often. I would watch YouTube videos for guidance. Also, feel your stubble to know in what direction it grows so that you will shave with the grain. Take slow and deliberate strokes and you will do well.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Edison Carter likes this.
  7. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Thanks

Trigger and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Edison Carter

Quick Saturday Shave.

A few years ago, if someone had told me that that this would be the gear I'd use for a quick close and comfortable shave, I would have said they were crazy.

It has worked out that way, but it doesn't mean that some of ya'all ain't crazy anyhow.

Wholly Kaw is good stuff. A little more expensive than I like. If you are a Brut fan, this is for you. Skip the Wholly Kaw deodorant, stick with the Brut.

Took a day off from my Gillette New SC. Much easier to do ATG on the lower neck open edge. .

4 shaves on this GSB blade. I could push one more, but won't.

Shave on my friends.

[​IMG]

madmedic, brit, Steve56 and 1 other person like this.
  9. Trigger

Excellent post, Bill! A year ago, I didn't know anything about shavettes. In fact, I never thought that I would be using a straight razor. Now, I have shavette and 13 straight razors in my den, I finally understand the meaning of never say never. Lol!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  10. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Ditto!

Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  11. Edison Carter

Don't ya just wish we could have learned this stuff years ago.

Trigger likes this.
  12. Trigger

Today, I used my Dovo Shavette. I consider it an awesome tool in my shave den.
    Yes and no, Bill! Yes, because I would have had more years of fun. No, because I probably have more stuff to organize and I would probably need more storage space.

13. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Sunday 6th October

[​IMG]

Clubman Shave Butter (Pre Shave)
    Stirling Pumpkin Spice Shaving Soap
    FS 24mm new generation synthetic brush
    Focus R48 Slim-Al with a Gillette/Wilkinson Blade
    Witch Hazel
    Clubman Brandy Spice AS
    Macadamia Oil

After a rough night shift....I needed a proper chill out and this certainly delivered!
    2 passes with just a little touch up fora a smooth and comfortable 'Face Feeler' [​IMG]

Antz, brit, MR41 and 2 others like this.
  14. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

Not quite sure if it qualifies as a shavette, but I thought I'd share anyway.
    Zazor from Turkey

[​IMG]

BlueShaver, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  15. Edison Carter

Off theme - My time Saturday

Proraso menthol pre-shave
    Stirling Island Man SS
    Stirling Badger
    Focus R21 Evolution plastic doodad barbering tool
    GSB on 1
    Alum check
    Proraso menthol after shave
    Stirling Island Man AS
    Cotton ball check

Having eluded the Blue Ming almost all week I was unable to make it to the Island with him excluded today. He was almost thinking that I had joined the Arid Soap Symposium where water spigots are banned. I gave him the assurance that in his absence I maintained my preference for shiny slippery shave soap just over to the sloshy side.

Ran through my normal 3 passes first with great results. I chose this tool planning for the next move based upon my experience that top tier hair severing is obtained at low pressure, low angles, easy.

Having been @Trigger -ed to conquer the elusive under the jaw line, upper neck, side to center, ATG, move normally delegated to Double Jedi Masters. I mustered the greatest concentrations and powers of the Force at my disposal, yet failed to be able to complete the training.

Unwilling to just walk away I tried an alternative with this grip.

[​IMG]

Bringing my hand as seen to my right side neck and making a stroke that is upward and center-ward turned out to be just enough ATG to deliver. I can do this move both sides while stretching the skin downward with the opposite hand.

Awesome, now for the alum, great, a tingle, no sting.

Finishing up routine done..... Now I'm wandering. Went for a cotton ball. Well, I failed my Barbers Board exam on a few snags, still my closest open blade shave yet.

So, this is a move that I can do, with a new blade in a shavette anyhow. I'll have to devote some time on other tools and try to incorporate it in my routine.

[​IMG]

Great Saturday shave.
    My best wishes to all!

Antz, brit and Trigger like this.
  16. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Its threads like this that make TSD a great place.

I can't wait for my own plastic/metal/china/clone shaving doodaa to join you in face mangling :)

Edison Carter, brit and Trigger like this.
  17. Trigger

I can't wait for you to try it out also, Jon!

Edison Carter, brit and BlueShaver like this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

lovely shave Bill..

Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

From Turkey did ya say....that looks more fun then a bucket full of rubber toad frogs. Is there a better place to ordee one..or is it vintage?

Trigger likes this.
  20. rs_776

rs_776 Well-Known Member

The Zazor is definitely a joy to use. It is still being produced, and they are available in 5 colors. I believe they started making them in 2013. There is only one place that carries the Zazor and will ship internationally. That would be razorus.com.

The price looks too good to be true, but I assure you it's true (I bought one of each color!). They also have great pricing on other Turkish-made shave products. Everything you see below cost me about $45 USD, shipping included.

[​IMG]

brit, Edison Carter and Trigger like this.