Wondering if I got bad bottle of Shave Secret Oil?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Andrepartthree, May 15, 2019.

1. Andrepartthree

Andrepartthree New Member

Hi guys .. brand new to the forum so apologies if I break any rules I may be unaware of :)

I've been using an electric wet/dry razor (Philips Norelco Shaver 45 model) forever in the shower with Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser as a " shaving cream " which has worked well for me (I don't mind the five o clock shadow I get and actually prefer it, weird I know :p )

I've tried switching to the Shave Secret Shaving Oil in an effort to cut costs (Cetaphil is great but kind of pricey) but I've noticed the following

- after letting my face get wet while I'm in the shower, I squeeze 3 drops into my hands and rub the oil together but I don't get any lather from the oil .. it just kind of basically spreads all over my hands

- I can definitely feel the oil on my face when I massage it into the "beard area" and then I wait a full minute as per the instructions... then I shave... the shave seems to work well enough in terms of hair removal but there's a slight burning sensation on my face which I never used to get with the Cetaphil (probably because it's a gentle skin cleanser so I guess that's not surprising :p ) ... then again I have sensitive skin so it could be that

Just wondering if this is normal for anyone else? No lather when you use the 3 drops and the slight burning sensation on the face?

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads and replies :)

Paul Turner, RyX and Hembree like this.
  2. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

I can't really address the burning sensation problem, as I don't get that, but it might be a reaction to whatever scent they're using.

As far as the lathering question, it's not meant to lather. If you watch the video on their website or on YouTube, they show it being used as a latherless shave oil. I think most people here, if they use it, use it as a pre-shave oil, to soften and lubricate the skin before they lather up.

RyX and Hembree like this.
  3. Andrepartthree

Thanks for your reply Lancre I appreciate it :) .. good to know it's not mean to lather .. now I'm wondering if you're supposed to use it just by itself like I've been doing or as a pre-treatment to lather ! :) Man am I clueless about all of this ! :)

4. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

It's your shave, do it the way you want. Some people use it as a pre-shave, but the ShaveSecret video shows it being used as you've been using it. So either way is fine.

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I purchased a bottle of Shave Secret, used it every shave for a month. When I stopped using it I noticed no difference in my results. I quit using it. Don't know about your bottle, but mine had a slight Bay Rum scent. I don't like Bay Rums because most have a bit of clove oil. Could be something used as a scent is causing you irritation. Try putting a drop on the inside of your elbow. Sensitive thin skin there that'll let you know if your body doesn't like it.

And welcome to TSD @Andrepartthree! Glad you signed up. Makes it easy to have conversations. As to breaking rules? Not yet! We're here for the open, honest discussion of all things Wet Shaving. Generally if you conduct yourself in a friendly, gentlemanly manner you'll be fine. If you want to view The Rules - click HERE. If you plan to hang around take a moment to visit The Welcome Center and make your intro. TSD had a deep database, so use the search box. It's possible most any topic had been discussed, but folks do keep making new products so New Threads Happen!

Paul Turner and Hembree like this.
  6. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I use it as a pre shave oil and I use way more than three drops but my skin is normally dry.

If I’m in a hurry I can goober up with just a pre shave oil and shave with an injector razor in the shower but normally I shave at the sink with a soap or a cream.

Do some experimenting and see what works best for your face.

RyX likes this.
  7. Andrepartthree

Vance, RyX, John Beeman thank you all so much for taking the time to help me out here I truly appreciate it :) ... since I'm cheap and don't want to waste the bottle I purchased :p I will probably use it up (like use it once every 2 days or something) then stop using it and switch back to cetaphil gentle skin cleanser (don't want to damage my face with long term use :p .. I have sensitive skin so possibly not the fault of the Shave Secret far as the burning sensation :) ... you know the funny thing is I tried using dove bar soap on my face as a lather for my electric wet/dry razor in the shower, that worked for a while - then the razor died ... I have a bad feeling the bar soap might have gunked it up to the point where I killed it despite the fact I was cleaning the razor religiously with water after every shave :( ... .. thanks again everyone :)

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The scent is often the source of irritation. It isn’t hard to make you own pre-shave oil, and of course, you can make yours without any scent. (See tutorials). It might be worth a try.

9. Andrepartthree

Thank you sara-s I appreciate that :)

Sara-s likes this.