Ever-Ready 89

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Dave Paskowski, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

Awhile back I posted a thread about finding my Dad's Old Spice mug and brush set.
    [​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG].
    I wanted to have the brush re-knotted so I could use it. I was going to going to have it done in the original knot, but decided to treat myself a little and had it done in a 22 mm Finest Badger Fan and the handle weighted. So I sent it off to Dr. Gary and this is what I got back
    [​IMG]
    I'll be using it for the first time today and can't wait. Gary does excellent work and is great to communicate with. I recommend him for any restoration you need done.

mvd, brit, CJames and 6 others like this.
  2. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Awesome. It's great to give new life to those old pieces and enjoy them.

GDCarrington likes this.
  3. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Great looking brush! Gary does an excellent job!!

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

D - All of the above! :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  5. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Another outstanding restore by the master!

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Excellent restore (as usual) and beautiful brush! I love that color.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I am pleased that you are enjoying it.

One thing that is interesting is that when I got it the seam in the center was large because the two pieces at the top (this handle is a four seamed parts) were quite a bit off alignment. So some sanding work and polishing was in order. Second the hole was increased to accept the 22 mm Fan. Third, the handle had additional ballast in the blue section only to provide a medium weighting that allows it to sit in the palm easier. Fourth the lettering was restored since it had faded away. All in all a nice restoration effort.

Dave thanks for allowing me to restore your Dad's brush. You will now be able to have it back in full service again.

Enjoy!

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

One more thing about the ER 89, it is the same handle as the ER C-40/US Made Burma Shave brush with the color of the base set in blue. It seems that fewer of these were made than the C40 so there are fewer available today that are in good shape.

9. Codfish

Codfish Member

Dave, please show us a post-bloom photo. Gary has done some fine work for me. I'm always happy with the way his knots bloom. He really knows his stuff!

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Jim,

Thanks! It will be interesting since this one is a fan. So I would expect a prominent expansion at the crown.

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Cool. I want to do that too.

GDCarrington likes this.
  12. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

Great looking brush, congrats!

GDCarrington likes this.
  13. Dave Paskowski

Dave Paskowski Active Member

I'm working on it. Got two shaves on it. I have a newbie question, how long does it usually take to bloom?

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Right after the first use.

15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The bloom is most dramatic on the first use, but for a few more days you may notice a slight (I do mean slight) increase.

Give it another day and if it seems the same to you, send a photo!

16. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

You restored /modded a ever ready 89 brush a few years ago. Could you tell me the size of the original know? Also do you know when they were made? I have one it's in great shape and but know very little about them. Thanks..

17. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

Was the original knot a 22 mm? When were these made?