Tell Us How You Helped Convert Someone To Wet/Vintage Shaving.

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by DaltonGang, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have one convert so far. We often go out to dinner with a former colleague of mine and his wife. They asked how retirement was going and I mentioned how I went back to wet shaving. This was last Fall. I explained the process and the wife was the one that immediately became interested and asked questions. I had done my usual Friday afternoon shave getting ready for date night. She asked if she could touch my face and of course I said yes. She was taken with the smooth soft feel. A bit awkward with my wife sitting right there. But we have all known each other for many years. She later asked for some recommendations on soaps, brushes, razors et cetera. She went out and bought a set up for her husband and he is still using it. I guess the moral of the story is that sometimes you need to get to the woman and not the man.

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Convert or re-aquaint I'm not sure which.

I was telling one of my older brothers I was enjoying shaving with DE razors; when he asked me if I knew what kind of razor Dad use to use. I told him it was a Gillette Slim from the 60's and then he inquired if it was still possible to get one. I confirmed it was and then told him to give me a little time and I'd get him one. A month later I was moving to Africa and just before I left, I sent it to him and that it was a Christmas present.

When I saw him a year later he told me he was still enjoying the Slim. :D

brit, Keithmax, DesertTime and 2 others like this.
  3. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I have converted two so far. My wife and a very close friend who had been curious about straight razors and we got to talking about DE so I gifted him a SS TV Special which he has been enjoying since. I also acquired a very nice refurbished straight from a member which he is rotating with his TV Special. I have another friend that I had a discussion with who is currently test driving a Black SS and an beat Aristocrat I had laying around. The wife I got a blue starburst for but she also uses my SS Flare from time to time.

I tried to convert my brother in law but he was a chicken.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  4. Amy Warner

Amy Warner The Warner

My boyfriend shaved my legs with his 1912! After that I had to check it out! Lol

5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

It always struck me as odd that some traditional wetshavers treat shaving like religion, because it's not. I agree 100 percent that it is really about matching the individual with the best solution for him or her, not convincing them to do things our way. That being said, it really is a shame that more folks do not know about traditional shaving as an option. Based upon what I have read online, traditional shaving is the best solution for many people currently using other methods.

Getting the word out can be a challenge. Although I knew safety razors, shaving soap, shaving brushes, etc. existed, I never realized how much they could improve my shaves. Such things weren't even on the radar, and I discovered them purely by chance. With premium creams and soaps, it was a clerk in a Whole Foods store stating that Kiss My Face shaving cream gave the slickest shaves ever. I tried it and my whole shaving world changed. Then I read a thread about traditional wetshaving on an unrelated forum, and found safety razor shaving was easily mastered and had huge cost savings benefits. Wetshaving aficionados enthusiastically spreading the word is a good way to get the message out!

For most people, they have a single tool to get a single task done. Most people think having tons of razors, watches, fountain pens, flashlights, waffle irons, etc. is nuts. Even I think it is rather strange, although I don't think people who collect like that (provided they are not actual hoarders) are weird or screwy. Maybe acknowledge your coworkers views, and then tell them a great shave and huge cost savings can be had with just one safety razor? "I know you must think I am weird, but collecting is an option not a necessity. Most people who use these razors have only one, and sometimes it gives them greatly improved shaves." or something similar. Yeah, most people will think using a straight is crazy. From what brick and mortar store owners have told me, they sell a lot more straights than safety razors though.

brit, Keithmax, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  6. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

I have got a couple of guys to try wet shaving by the set up below.

PIF Setup.jpg

I have this out at the front of my cube. Everybody has to walk past my cube to come into the department I work in. As I was typing this out I had someone else stop and ask me about the razors and soap. He walked away with a complete set up. I tell anybody who will listen, to give me just one shave and I will give them everything they need for it. If they don't like it bring it back and that will be it. 15 at work and counting.

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Very cool idea. I've converted a couple by word of mouth. Maybe I'll try your trick

brit and DaltonGang like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Time to raise the dead thread. :sick013:

Within the past two weeks, I had a Co-Worker, who had razor bumps, pretty bad, on the face and neck. I have noticed this, for several months. So, I spoke with him about it, since he is in front of cameras a lot, and has to do speeches. I Gave him a Gillette Super Speed, Arko, some Clubman, and an assortment of blades. Within a couple of days, the bumps were barely visible, and after a week, his face was completely clear. He has been dealing with this for approx 15-20 years.
    This person has also hooked a friend of his into trying DE razors.
    Success

Second co-worker approached me, but doesn't have issues with his shaves. He just was taling to the other co-worker, and wanted to save money. I gave him the same set-up, as the other. He felt it all took too long.
    He liked the shaves, but seems to be up in the air about the whole thing.
    Possible success, meh..

Now, the best of all. My 12 yr old daughter has been using a Vintage Gillette, Lady Starburst, Blue, for a few months. She loves it, since ditching the Vintage electric razor she has been using for the past year. Now she gets so excited about how silky smooth her legs are. I am happy to change blades, and shine up the razor, anytime she asks.

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm working on a co-worker .....

He heard about the brushes I restore so set him up with a WWII Rubberset restored to tuxedo synthetic flat top and a OS mug. Now he's loving his shaves, though he's still using carts

..... for now. ;)

:eatdrink013:

DaltonGang and brit like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

A while back, a maintenance man who used to work where I live looked over my shave collection. He stated that one of my Gillette techs was the same one his Dad used to use. Eventually he bought it, along with one of my restored brushes, ordered a 100 pack of Astra SP's and I gave him some soap. He loved the shaves and will never go back to carts.

DaltonGang, Enrico and brit like this.
  11. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I have attempted to convert exactly two people. One was a coworker who was always complaining about irritation from shaving with a cart. I had recently become acquainted with double edge razors after using carts for most of my life so I mentioned to him my own experience with finding great creams (I had not discovered the soap affliction yet) that offered better slickness and protection than the canned stuff. He expressed interest so I put together a kit for him and gave it to him. The next thing I know he's telling another coworker how great it is. Because he had said he had sensitive skin I got him a tube of Proraso White shave cream along with a Razorock DE89 clone, a Razorock synthetic (I think, it's been a few years) and some blades. So that one was a success.

I also was talking with a neighbor friend who has a son in the same grade as my son. I mentioned sort of off hand my new love for shaving and he mentioned that he suffered from ingrown hairs and irritation. I put together a kit for him as well, similar to the one I got my coworker. Gave it to him and he hasn't 'mentioned it other than to say it takes a lot of time. I know that he's up early in order to get to Brooklyn from NJ so I'm guessing he just doesn't have the time to invest in the effort and gave up. I'm ok with that. So, I'm 50/50 in my conversion attempts. I'm not the type to try and sell people stuff so unless someone really expresses a dislike for their current shaving regimen, I'm keeping my mouth shut.

I should add that my son who is now 16 started shaving a little over a year ago as his upper lip was getting really dirty and his mother started to make comments about it. So I indoctrinated him by starting him on a Mach 3 cart and then later on giving him a vintage Gillette Tech, a tub of TOBS Almond shave cream, some Thayers lemon scented witch hazel toner, and some Voskhod blades. He immediately commented how much better the Tech was than the cart. He has been going away to summer sleep away camp in the mountains so I got him a can of Gillette Barbershop Fresh Mousse shaving cream and a new Mach 3 with some extra carts. I knew he would not spend much time on shaving and there wasn't a proper set up for him to be able to shave appropriately. It worked for him but when home he uses the double edge. But I don't consider him a conversion since he was totally new to shaving entirely.

That's my story. Good night. And have a pleasant tomorrow.

12. brit

brit in a box

i had some razors and stuff i had just received from ebay on my desk at the shop .cool conversation pieces.. one of my buddies had his car in and said there really cool, i have my grandads and fathers razors but never used them..so off i went on the the benefits of de shaving and what i had achieved using said razors etc..the shop is gone but my friend and i still go to antique fairs and stuff looking for treasures..he has been a full time gillette de user since, and he now uses his grandads and fathers razors..my other best buddy now uses de as well, but only on special occasions like dates and stuff..2 guys at work i have given a tech, omega boar and proraso cream and blades.they shave infrequently so we'll see how that works out..

DaltonGang, Enrico and MntnMan62 like this.
  13. Old_Spice

Old_Spice Active Member

I'm going for convert #10 this holiday season. I generally included vintage Gillette razors in the starter kits, but this one I'm going w/ modern gear. Not having used this myself, I just made selection based on aesthetics ....Edwin Jagger faux ivory handle and Sterling synthetic brush faux ivory too. Decent gear and should look good hanging off a stand. thumbnail-5.jpg thumbnail-6.jpg thumbnail-7.jpg

14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Good call. Many people that just get i to Wet/Vintage Shaving make their first choices based on looks. Providing a nice looking kit, that is well made, will definitely help get them on the right path.
    :happy088::happy088:

brit likes this.
  15. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

I use Gillette's business model against it.
    Next to the multiblade (which I sell in my pharmacy), I put the safety razors.
    The former at full price, the latter at sale price.
    So I sell good blades (Wilkinsons Sword by Gillette India) at a good price.
    For those who want there is also a small starter kit.

In the end I earn practically the same.
    But I help the planet and the people.
    And I enjoy it more.
    Especially in the beginning, a novice is full of doubts.
    Which I like to answer.

brit likes this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

:):eatdrink047:

ischiapp likes this.