Maggard Mixed 70:30 Badger:Boar knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Linuxguile, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

There are a few options. You buy a brush with the handle you like, regardless of the condition of the knot, and use the handle. You buy a handle that has had the old knot removed. You buy a modern handle from Maggard Razors or other vendors. You reach out to someone here that makes handles. You post a Want To Buy thread in the Classifieds.

Linuxguile likes this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

There are quite a few brush makers on Etsy including one of my favorites, Wild West Brushworks. I'm sure Jim @Jayaruh could provide you with a handle too.

Frijolero, brit and MaxG like this.
  3. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I'll second those. I have 3 from Wild West Brushworks. My problem with him isn't finding one that I like. It's mustering enough restraint to not just keep buying and buying.

BigMark83, Linuxguile and cliffb599 like this.
  4. Linuxguile

So I was finally fed up enough with my Maggard mixed knot shedding that I decided to pull it and replace it. When I pulled it the cause the the shedding was instantly apparent. The glue plug was disintegrating inside of the handle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

cliffb599, brit and jluc like this.
  5. texasdawg

texasdawg Member

Wow, thats interesting. I wonder what shape mine is in? Mines not sheading, so maybe its okay? Did it look okay when you seated it originally? (Im sure, right) what did you use to seat it with?

6. SWR913

SWR913 Active Member

What was used to set the knot in the handle?

7. Linuxguile

The knot looked fine when I set it. I set all of my knots with silicone for easy removal if I need to pull the them

8. Linuxguile

Also, this knot was a shedder from the beginning. It lost probably 30 fibers on its first use

cliffb599 likes this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thats too bad, I was thinking about this knot as a replacement for my father's Vulfix 404. The center of the knot fell out of that one.

Linuxguile likes this.
  10. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I have a Maggards mixed knot that has no issues. I'm hoping mine doesn't develop the issues that Andrew's has.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PanChango likes this.
  11. Linuxguile

I'm thinking mine was defective from the start. It's a great feeling knot, I may take my chances on another one

brit, cliffb599 and jluc like this.
  12. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Contact them and let know what happened, they might surprise you.

Linuxguile likes this.
  13. Linuxguile

I did and Maggard's gave me store credit for the price of the knot. Now to decide if I want to replace it

14. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

15. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

It really has been a good knot for me. At this point it, after hearing positive feedback from so many other users, it might be worth another go.

brit likes this.